How Old Are Your Tires?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella6368 View Post
Coming from NY, I can tell you that car inspections are just another form of a TAX for the state, and most of the time are unnecessary. So tell me again why you would want another tax? Do you have a desire to turn FL into a highly overtaxed state like NY? I mean think about it?
Seriously!! If New York does it so much better than by all means STAY THERE!! I have nothing against Northerners or other people coming from 'Blue' states, but PLEASE leave your big government inclinations there.

Georgia had inspections and they were nothing more than another form of highway robbery. If an inspection station failed you for ANYTHING, you either had to have it fixed there or bring back a receipt showing you had it fixed somewhere else within 30 days. Nothing but a shake down, LOTS of unneeded repairs foisted on people without the knowledge or spine to dispute the failure. The second time I had to pay to have my headlights 'aligned' I learned to find one of the few places that would only test, but not do the actual repairs themselves. At least then they didn't have a financial incentive to report bogus findings.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Seriously!! If New York does it so much better than by all means STAY THERE!! I have nothing against Northerners or other people coming from 'Blue' states, but PLEASE leave your big government inclinations there.

Georgia had inspections and they were nothing more than another form of highway robbery. If an inspection station failed you for ANYTHING, you either had to have it fixed there or bring back a receipt showing you had it fixed somewhere else within 30 days. Nothing but a shake down, LOTS of unneeded repairs foisted on people without the knowledge or spine to dispute the failure. The second time I had to pay to have my headlights 'aligned' I learned to find one of the few places that would only test, but not do the actual repairs themselves. At least then they didn't have a financial incentive to report bogus findings.
It was exactly the same in Virginia... Told my cousin's wife she had to have a new air filter which was total BS. She said she would have her husband change it. They said ok but get it done.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,937 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Comrade …. Your daughter in law will be going to Siberia …. She has failed to rotate her tires……

She! LOL.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
A good annual inspection can find a lot of problems. I am happy that PA has an inspection annually.

I bet they inspect brand new car also? Glad I don’t plan on moving to PA ever.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Sucese View Post
I went out immediately and checked my tires. I have a very old car, but I had no idea how old the tires are.
See posts that explained how to read the number/ lettering on side of tires.

How long have you owned the vehicle? If over 5 or max 7 I wouldn’t plan no long road trips. Especially if you don’t check tire pressure.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:02 PM

State inspections only make for more govt, more state tax money, and usually they only check lic, ins card, and emissions. Other than a near bald rear tire once in 1972 or so, I’ve never had an inspection fail anything. NJ doesn’t check alignment, brakes, steering, headlight alignment, shocks, lights, only emissions. So what was I paying an “ inspection “ fee for?
Old 08-18-2021, 05:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Good to know about the tire age. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 08-18-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post

When I lived in Georgia, the inspection fee was 3 dollars, which was not enough for the service center to make any money. One time, they told me that my headlights were not aligned and wanted 10 dollars to fix them. I refused and reported the station to the state police because my headlights were not out of alignment. You can park the car in front of a wall and adjust the alignment with 2 screws. About a week later, I received a check from the service station for 3 dollars, and an approved inspection certificate. A few years later, Georgia rescinded the inspection law.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Whenever I buy new tires or a new or used car, I always check the Tire Identification Number (TIN), which is stamped on the sidewall of all tires sold in the U.S. It starts with DOT and ends with a 4 digit number. The 4 digits indicate the week and year when the tire was manufactured. So, "1219" would indicate that the tire was made in the 12th week of 2019. Tires can start to wear out after about 6 years, even if they have a lot of tread remaining. I think it is a good idea to not assume that your new tires are actually new, even if they are on a new car. Car dealers can actually switch tires on a new car without affecting the car warranty because the tires are covered by a separate tire warranty.
Great point retireguy123!
Old 08-19-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella6368 View Post
Coming from NY, I can tell you that car inspections are just another form of a TAX for the state, and most of the time are unnecessary. So tell me again why you would want another tax? Do you have a desire to turn FL into a highly overtaxed state like NY? I mean think about it?
Stop the moaning, please. Unnecessary? Maybe for a car a few years old. But as the owner of many cars of varying ages in NY over the years, I always welcomed the inspection. So it cost a few bucks. I'd rather have my trusted mechanic pull the wheels to measure the brake pads, check the tie rods and give it an all-around safety check than do it myself. At least that way I feel I can react quicker when that guy on the interstate passes me with the sun glaring in his face through his cracked windshield on his bald tires. And if you don't get it inspected, chances are you'll park your car where the "po-po" will spy the expired inspection sticker, so skipping out on the check-up will cost you even more $$ and maybe an impound of your car. Now the entire process is computerized and sent to the DMV. If your car fails, expect registration to become null and void if you can not provide proof of repair. I would welcome the same in "Fla-Da".
Closed Thread

Tags
tires, car, tire, week, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.