I don’t know what that “thanks” thing is, but I don’t like it

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey, Cold, I have been around here so darned long that I remember when that “friend” thing started. I had no idea what that was either. That was years ago.

I thought it was odd, but if someone sent me a “friend” request, I just went ahead and accepted it because it seemed rude not to, but I never sent out a “friend” request. Not because I am not a nice lady, but because it made no sense to me. But that’s just me.

And — now, to you, Jazuela, soooooo, you think I am stuck in the 1970s. Oh, how I wish. Damn, those were good days. I was pretty cute and drove a Triumph GT6. (I bet you have never seen one of those. Sure was fun to drive.) But now I drive a sedate Honda and am not nearly as cute. (sigh) Oh, well.

Anyway, Jaz, I usually really like your posts and think you are smart and have a hellava vocabulary. You know your way around words. But, I completely disagree with the post you wrote above. Playing the age card was a cheap shot. You are better than that.

We have gone along fine here for quite a while, able to express our “feelings” in actual words instead of lazy little upticks.

I predict this back-patting idea will turn into a pukefest, at best, or a manipulative, control freak fiesta, at worst.

But maybe if this thing is a go, it will FINALLY make me stop looking.

Sincerely,
Boomerosaurus
Doesn't have anything to do with age. Bill Gates is 63 and I'm pretty sure he knows all about reddit and BBS and Usenet and city-data. Bill Atkinson probably figured all this stuff out in the 80's, and he's almost 70 now. Scott McNealy, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, learned about these things in the 80's. He's 64.

The forum we are posting on, is written with PHP. The founder of PHP, released the first version of it in 1995. He's "only" 50 but he was contributing to Apache in the 1980's.

Millions of people of ALL ages are aware of these features, because millions of people of ALL ages use them on a daily basis.

When I say "you" gotta catch up with the times, I mean you, the set of members of this particular forum who seem to be oblivious to fora in the rest of the internet.

Also (off-topic aside): I was intimately familiar with the TR7, via a particular fellow in the beach parking lot...stick shifts are not your friend. But I took computer programming in my senior year of high school, which was 1978. I was an active member of three BBS boards before the WWW was invented, and we had upvotes even then.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I just noticed the new addition to TOTV. Perhaps an explanation from the administration is in order.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Okay. I see that finally. (It's not visible on iPhone using Chrome.)

But I see nothing that is clickable yet...so feature implementation not complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Yes, I see the "thanks" result metric, but no way to actually register your positive feedback.
I don't think it is active yet, as I haven't seen how to click on a 'thanks' for a post either.

So far, I've only even seen 1 person...with anything but zeros over there.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
WOW.....The Villages has ZERO control over things I do not allow.

They do not ask for conformity and saying that tells me you need to get a bit more experience living here. I have been here for close to 19 years and nobody has ever once controlled me in anyway on anything.

Property ownership always had pluses and minus but I do not stand to be applauded or not applauded because of where I live. I have owned about 6 different homes in my life. They all have rules and that is great.

Never said anything would "kill" me and using that kind of language will not sway me from not wanting to be involved in that kind of forum. It actually exists in some ways but to be condoned by the forum itself is simply trying to be like Facebook or the others you seem to feel are ok.
You really need to take Facebook out of the equation. It has nothing to do with anything. The only way your posts on Facebook can be "liked" by other people, is if you make your page public, or post a public response on someone else's public page. You can be a member of Facebook just so you can keep in touch with your family and friends, and not allow anyone else access to anything you post. You can also make it so that no one can share your posts, or like your posts...again - it has nothing to do with anything. Facebook is not a forum, and the fora that have the reps and likes and thanks predate Facebook by almost two decades.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I find these two sentences, on a forum dedicated to The Villages, to be very ironic. This is the Villages you're talking about afterall. The place that is under strict control where the property you own, that you paid for, that is yours personally - is required to conform.

You're living in a community developed, controlled, and maintained intentionally to conform. A little internet forum "good job" isn't gonna kill ya!
Really?
Minority report is duly recognized!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
You really need to take Facebook out of the equation. It has nothing to do with anything. The only way your posts on Facebook can be "liked" by other people, is if you make your page public, or post a public response on someone else's public page. You can be a member of Facebook just so you can keep in touch with your family and friends, and not allow anyone else access to anything you post. You can also make it so that no one can share your posts, or like your posts...again - it has nothing to do with anything. Facebook is not a forum, and the fora that have the reps and likes and thanks predate Facebook by almost two decades.
Ok.....accept what you say but tell me what the advantage to anyone is on a forum such as this to have like or such ?? That response will be solicited....I assure you.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Personally, I do not like social media at all. This is the only forum I read and participate in. The only reason I joined was because it was informative on local concerns.

Concerning social media I neither want to be influenced nor influence people I don’t know. If it happens, it was not intentional. And I really don’t like information collected on me by the internet, Apple, Google etc in general. I like my privacy. For information I read newspapers and magazines from all over the world, in several languages.

I won’t quit TOTV over this “thanks” thingy but I do find it ridiculous, even if every forum has it. It is a phase I expect will fade out, when the Kardashians won’t be news any more.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Ok.....accept what you say but tell me what the advantage to anyone is on a forum such as this to have like or such ?? That response will be solicited....I assure you.
Well for one, it minimizes all the posts that people post JUST so they can say "I agree!". If a lot of people agree with one post, then they can simply "rep" (or "thank" in this case) that one post. And readers will see that 20 people agreed with that one post, without having to read 20 posts saying so.

That's actually the primary purpose of the rep system; to cut down on spam posts.

That's a start.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I don't think it is active yet, as I haven't seen how to click on a 'thanks' for a post either.

So far, I've only even seen 1 person...with anything but zeros over there.
The thanks you speak of was within a post. Don’t know who thanked Gracie but apparently someone did. It appears a “monitor” would need to read every post or private message. Big job looking for a thank you within a post. I don’t see anyway for those of us who post to thank somebody for information other than a private message and in the past I have done just that a few times. Is the purpose of this to “grade” our information value to this site?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I will have to see what happens with this. Makes no difference to me.

I actually have a very tough hide. Did get quite used to be a punching bag on many an internet Forum I was on since 2002 or so.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-16-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

It’s for the adults that need a participation trophy. 🙄🙄
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage

It's a pretty sad statement about society when a thread can contain so many people upset about the idea that they might be thanked, formally and publicly, for their input.

Maybe they're afraid they don't deserve the thanks and will feel left out if their numbers aren't as high as others?

We already have post counts, and that isn't a "thing" - I am not seeing why anyone would have a problem with thank-counts.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
It's a pretty sad statement about society when a thread can contain so many people upset about the idea that they might be thanked, formally and publicly, for their input.

Maybe they're afraid they don't deserve the thanks and will feel left out if their numbers aren't as high as others?

We already have post counts, and that isn't a "thing" - I am not seeing why anyone would have a problem with thank-counts.
Maybe it's sad to people who need their ego stroked or need some type of self validation, but for the rest of us it's not necessary.

As far as I'm concerned you can get rid of the post counts too. They are also non value added. It's obvious who the quantity posters are anyway.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:

Well, you are obviously more sophisticated and smarter than I.

First, the post count has been there from the very beginning of this forum.

I also think it very very unfair your characterization of those who see the folly in it, I object to your "maybe" comments, which are strictly inflammatory.

I have an opinion...you have an opinion. Do not even pretend to place motivation on me, or anyone. THAT is what I object to....even you are thinking in that vein, and hey....you have lots of followers in that vein.

I question the need, and the direction it may take the forum. I suppose, if it was available, you could give me a big "not liked" or whatever the group slang is. As Tal said...I have a thick skin to that stuff, believe me, but the direction is unnecessary UNLESS YOU need the "thanks"
Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

If you really like somebody's post, tell them in your very own words, with specifics, either in the thread or privately, not with some effortless click of a silly meaningless whatever. That's how it has been done around here. That is how it should be done. It is the mannerly thing to do, even though it takes a little time -- you know -- like handwritten thank you notes.

And, oh yeah, as far as your comment on the delicate psyche, if I did not get any of those goofy things, I just know I would lie awake at night, stewing and fretting. I might even softly sing that song -- how does it go? Oh yes, I remember:

"Everybody hates me,
Nobody loves me,
I think I'll eat some worms.
etc."

I remember the whole song but I will stop there. Anybody reading this who remembers is singing it right now in their heads.

I remain,
Boomerosaurus

Last edited by Boomer; 09-16-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo -- remember those
Closed Thread

Tags
don’t, thing, “thanks”, devolve, “us

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.