I Miss 1950's Traditional Values

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default I Miss 1950's Traditional Values

Sometime we just need a break from today's political climate and I one way is to tune in old movies .

I watched Jennifer Jones in "Good Morning Miss Dove" It presented an idyllic America. I recognize that the 1950's had its problems but this movie represented pretty much the America I remember.

Miss Dove, an elementary teacher made demands on her students both stoic and scholastic and she reciprocated by taking a personal interest in each of her students.

Traditional values were apparent had work, self discipline, self respect, respect for authority, respect for others , calculated reticence , honor.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage

I passed those values to all my children. They adhere to them. That's all that matters to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

Where's the like button?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Where's the like button?
I second that!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

The 50’s were a special time and I’m glad I got to experience them
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Sometime we just need a break from today's political climate and I one way is to tune in old movies .

I watched Jennifer Jones in "Good Morning Miss Dove" It presented an idyllic America. I recognize that the 1950's had its problems but this movie represented pretty much the America I remember.

Miss Dove, an elementary teacher made demands on her students both stoic and scholastic and she reciprocated by taking a personal interest in each of her students.

Traditional values were apparent had work, self discipline, self respect, respect for authority, respect for others , calculated reticence , honor.

Personal Best Regards:
By reading this board, it's hard to believe that a few of those were values from the 50's.
I know 25 year olds who show less self entitlement and more respect for others than many on this site or in TV.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Platinum member
Smile Good teachers are great people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Personal Best Regards:
I can name two or three teachers who unquestionably gave shape to my life with their encouragement of my efforts.

Great people.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I remember the fifties a lot differently -- it was a time of great fear because of the A-bomb. Women rarely worked outside of the home and, if they did, it was usually in a subservient role. Even professional women were pushed into the lesser roles (attorneys for estate planning, trusts, family law; physicians were ob-gyns) most of the time. It was okay for a male to have pre-marital sex and extra-curricular marital affairs were to be bragged about. A female was shamed. Minorities were kept in their place, separate but equal was the way of life, lynchings were common. It was acceptable to beat your wife so long as the stick was no bigger than the width of your thumb. Not only could parents spank their children, so could your neighbor or the principal and some of those spankings were flat out beatings. Sexual abuse was common and the girl was nearly always at fault, even if only ten. Miscegenation was a crime. So was homosexuality. And so on and so forth. The fifties were a time of violence, fear, cruelty and bigotry.

A lot of the values such as hard work, honesty, respect, trust are still prevalent today. Yes, the language is rougher today, chivalry towards females is gone, some of the niceties have disappeared. Even so, I'll take today's world. It's a lot more honest and, in many ways, kinder.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I remember the fifties a lot differently -- it was a time of great fear because of the A-bomb. Women rarely worked outside of the home and, if they did, it was usually in a subservient role. Even professional women were pushed into the lesser roles (attorneys for estate planning, trusts, family law; physicians were ob-gyns) most of the time. It was okay for a male to have pre-marital sex and extra-curricular marital affairs were to be bragged about. A female was shamed. Minorities were kept in their place, separate but equal was the way of life, lynchings were common. It was acceptable to beat your wife so long as the stick was no bigger than the width of your thumb. Not only could parents spank their children, so could your neighbor or the principal and some of those spankings were flat out beatings. Sexual abuse was common and the girl was nearly always at fault, even if only ten. Miscegenation was a crime. So was homosexuality. And so on and so forth. The fifties were a time of violence, fear, cruelty and bigotry.

A lot of the values such as hard work, honesty, respect, trust are still prevalent today. Yes, the language is rougher today, chivalry towards females is gone, some of the niceties have disappeared. Even so, I'll take today's world. It's a lot more honest and, in many ways, kinder.
Wow. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

I agree with you Red. My memories of the 50's (I was age 1 to 11 in that time) are very fond. But I was the product of a white family in NH. I had no understanding whatsoever of what the black population especially, but not only, in the south was facing. Nor did I understand that women were expected to a great degree to stay at home or be teachers (many very happily I might ad! That's a good thing for them!) So while I am often tempted to refer to that era as a "kinder, gentler time", that's only from my very limited experience. For many, it was anything but that.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Since I was born mid 50s and raised in the south I don't remember much of it. But if you didn't yes ma'am, someone you could get smacked all the way in the next Tuesday.

Actually today in my family yes Ma'am is still used with great respect, so you don't get smacked in the next Tuesday.

My youngest transplanted from Michigan to Louisville, not only has picked up that southern accent, but yes ma'am is used without thinking. When he hears a 2 or 3 year old yes ma'am, it makes him smile that in this day and age respect to elders is still taught.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I passed those values to all my children. They adhere to them. That's all that matters to me.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Sage

1957 Belair
The Villages Florida

Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Sage

Chuck Berry
The Villages Florida

Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Certainly agree with Redwitch here. However the 2010s over the 1950s are kinder in some places; nastier in others.
Closed Thread

Tags
respect, miss, students, personal, america

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.