If I was a Terrorist

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: If I was a Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
And yet one more thread that belongs in political. If all the threads that were political were posted correctly, this forum would be over 50% politics. Again it is still a political rag with some valuable information sprinkled in. Keep your politics in the political forum so the rest of us are not subjected to your biases.
And on top of all that, the subject of the thread is bad grammar. Have we know shame at all.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Sage

nun et al

(maybe curry is back?)

only posting because this is not in the political forum.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
gf -- CNN very much debunked the "Muslim" myth regarding Obama.
*The media (CNN) is wrong on this one.* I do not take CNN as ultimate authority on matters Islamic.* There are more reliable sources that aren't as motivated by "political correctness".

Quote:
Whether you like him or not, he deserves the basic respect of being called by the name he prefers.* He does not and has not gone by his full name.* He goes by Barack H. Obama.* What is so hard about giving any human the basic consideration of calling them what they wish so long as that name is not obscene or hurtful to another?
* Gosh, I've never met the man and I have never heard what he prefers to be called.* If he is so offended by his own name, he is free to change it.* People do that all the time.* The fact remains that is his name.* And his name reflects his undeniable heritage of Islamic parents and Islamic schooling.

Quote:
I didn't take that the government was the terrorist from the video but rather what if all of this was caused by individuals or groups determined to harm the US.* Hitting our economy would certainly be far more effective than any other act of terrorism.
* The video strongly suggests our government caused these problems by either incompetence or evil motives which he claims has a similar result as terrorism.* My point is there are things our population does to itself that are often beyond the capacity of government to instantaneously respond to and correct.* Instead he chooses to slander our government.* We need to look at our own greed and foolishness which our government is forced to react to.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Lanier
Whenever I see a focus on Barak Obama's middle name Hussein, I wonder what feelings a name like Omar Bradley elicits? Do we remember Five-Star-General Omar Bradley, known as "the soldier's general," and his outstanding service to our country during World War II?
That is an interesting comment.* If the name "Omar" was as popular a name for terrorists and others wanting to do us in during WWII as "Hussein" and "Mohammad" are today, there would have been concern with "Omar" back then.* But there was no such connection and thus no such concern.* Your example does not reflect the visceral baggage that a name brings to itself in the context of what is going on in a particular time period.* Now if the General's name was John "Hitler" Smith, you might have a point.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Gold member

Okay, talk about "much ado about nothing". Sam asked me to post this for her. Having never been to the "Political Forum" a forum I would never take part in...(why would I want to change your opinion?? You sure aren't going to change mine, so why bother? Just my humble opinion.) I posted it here, I forum I normally frequent. Wow, shoot me before dawn.

All this excitement over some guy sitting in a chair, satirizing the condition of this country as he sees it. It is satire, people. You know like Saturday night live, like late night talk show hosts...isn't political supposed to be serious? Maybe I am just naive. If you listen carefully he rips on just about every institution in this country from insurance companies to big business, education to healthcare and yes, even the government.

If you look up James Pence, the commentator, which I did, by his own admission, this was meant as a satirical joke, not a political statement.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Okay, talk about "much ado about nothing". Sam asked me to post this for her. Having never been to the "Political Forum" a forum I would never take part in...(why would I want to change your opinion?? You sure aren't going to change mine, so why bother? Just my humble opinion.) I posted it here, I forum I normally frequent. Wow, shoot me before dawn.
So, you admit committing the bad grammar. I, and I'm sure most of the others, forgive you. I recommend The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English.
024 :beer2: :chillout:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Gold member

The bad grammer, dear Muncle, is the title of the video clip, not my grammer, just the title, as produced. So, see, how serious can we take someone who doesn't even know how to use proper grammer? ;D
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Sage

Wow. I just thought the video was interesting and thought provoking. I certainly never thought it would tear "neighbors" apart like this. It did not suggest, as one post did, that we drive with our lights off at night. That was hate filled and I know I will not be friends with the poster. This is pretty bad..and sad.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

now, now y'all

don't get all worked up about this video.

who cares what forum it belongs under? is it really that important? is filing posts under the proper forum the most important thing in your book? and you complain about the administrators being picky? shame on you all!

grammar? muncle...is this the most important thing that can upset you? you have never made a grammatical error ever?

calm down everyone....it's satire...

SMILE (even though it's a message we all should think about)

UH OH...am I going to get ramrodded because I didn't use correct punctuation and capitalization? As if I didn't know....lol...did it purposefully just to annoy all you....especially mr. muncle.... ;D ;D ;D
Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

l2ride

You chose to read this post so please don't moan, groan, and whine about your choice.

You sound like my 3rd graders who want to pass the blame always to others...shame on you.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Shame on you Handie for being judgmental....at your age no less!

This is only a forum....lighten up buddy!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Sage

Remember that old Buffalo Springfield song " Battle lines being drawn, nobody's right and everybody's wrong.....
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Sage

Bright! Handi's still looking under his bed for Al Qaeda! Muncle reminds me of an C.P.A. my hubby once had. This guy would correct the grammar on faxes sent to him when he sent back his answer. One day my husband just faxed four words back to him, "Blank U, U're Fired" (you can fill in the blank.) :joke: It amuses me how the gist of the video is ignored, to the more pressing issue of "Bad Grammar". And gfmucci, you are soooo rev'd up I don't know where to begin. Just want to say FYI Hussein is as common as name as Smith.
Actually lived next door to a Mohammad Hussein and his wife Jabeen and their two adorable little girls. We even exchanged Christmas presents. You couldn't find nicer people to be your neighbors. So, should all people named Smith then pay for or be ridiculed, or ostracised for something all the murderers and convicts named Smith did? I bet ya if we searched hard enough through records, we can find someone with our same last name, that has committed a horrible crime somewhere. That's just utterly ridiculous and so off point. Again, :#1: great post Sam.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

:bigthumbsup: Chels
Old 05-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Veteran member

Yes, I agree it was satire - no question.* Satire, as you probably know, is often used as not so subtle political commentary as it was here.

Definitions of satire on the Web:

sarcasm: witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a ...
www.wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn*

the use of ridicule or scorn, often in a humorous or witty way, to expose vices and follies
http://www.aps.edu/users/apsedumain/...n/glossary.htm

A manner of writing that mixes a critical attitude with wit and humor in an effort to improve mankind and human institutions. Ridicule, irony, exaggeration, and several other techniques are almost always present. ...
www.telus.net/eddyelmer/Tools/litterms.htm*

A literary work which belittles or savagely attacks its subject. A distinction is sometimes made between direct and indirect satire.
http://www.courses.nus.edu.sg/COURSE...-tm.html*

is a literary technique of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject (individuals, organisations, states) often as an intended means of provoking change or preventing it. Satire is not exclusive to any viewpoint. ...
www.encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/sa/Satire

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.