If you happen to drown your cell phone.....

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Good one!

Bill
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Years ago, before I had a cell phone, I had a pager and fell in the pool with it. I called the pager company and they told me to just pull the battery out and put it in the refrigerator for a day or two and it would be fine. I did and it was. I don't know if that will work with a cell phone, but it might speed up the process with the rice if you don't seal up the bag. The refrigerator is supposed to suck out the moisture also. I hope I never have to try either of these remedies.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
.........as I did the other day (forgot it was in my swim shorts' pocket when I hopped in the pool - I HATE it when that happens!), here's the fix:

- Drain, shake, whatever the excess water from the drowned phone. Don't forget to pop caps/covers off of any ports or jack connections, too.

- Towel dry exterior.

- Pop back of the case off and remove battery, SIM card, etc. - anything that's intended for the user to be able to remove.

- Fill a small ziploc bag nearly full with dry, uncooked rice.

- Insert said gurgling phone into the ziploc bag, seal it up........then wait for a day or two or three.

A friend suggested I do this as it resolved his wife's similar phone issue. I thought, "There's no way in the world this is going to work". I was in the pool floating around for more than just a few minutes when I realized my lapse in memory/stupidity. The displays were messed up from water getting inside them, I couldn't get the phone to come on, etc. But the logic made sense - that's why you'll sometimes see a few grains of rice in some restaurant salt shakers......the rice absorbs moisture very well. Sandy felt it was worth a try so we bought some rice to give it a shot. I figured the phone had to be toast, though!

"Au contraire, mon frere"! Two days of the phone in the "rice bag"......and it's back to normal!! Unbelievable! I would've lost money on the bet.

So if it ever happens to you, give the rice-and-the-ziploc-bag thing a try!

Bill
Bill:

A good tip. I have worked in electronics almost all of my life and I never heard of this one. Back then, nothing was small enough to fit into a ziploc bag.

If the rice is not edible after using it this way, can we subsitute popcorn?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
........If the rice is not edible after using it this way, can we subsitute popcorn?
HA!!! memason wants to try the leftover rice so that's already spoken for. The popcorn's all yours!!

------------------

As an update for all: My phone continues working as though nothing ever happened. Probably have been on it for at least an hour or more today - calls both coming in and out with no issues.

Bill
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
HA!!! memason wants to try the leftover rice so that's already spoken for. The popcorn's all yours!!

------------------

As an update for all: My phone continues working as though nothing ever happened. Probably have been on it for at least an hour or more today - calls both coming in and out with no issues.

Bill
Bill:

Love your humor. Glad to hear your phone is in working condition and you didn't have to spend big bucks to replace it.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
I am wondering how long the "cure" will last.
JJ
Drowned mine two years ago in February and it still work perfectly.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.