If you are thinking about buying an EV, read this

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2023, 06:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts
Default If you are thinking about buying an EV, read this

Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with an EV in a long road trip?

I have always been concerned about recharging. The fast chargers take 15-60 minutes so, if there were two cars ahead of you, it could take 3 hours to charge!
Old 08-11-2023, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

When they make an EV that will go 1,000 miles without recharging, they will have no problem selling them.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Not in the market for a new car yet but would like to consider an EV when it comes time. We still make long trips though. We can drive 600-900 miles in a day if we have a destination we're trying to reach. EVs are not practical for that.

An article in favor of EVs pointed out that over 90% of trips are far less than the 300 mile range. While true, the problem isn't the short trips, the problem is I regularly make long trips. Convenient, inexpensive, and environmentally friendly for the last three months doesn't help me much if I'm in the middle of Iowa and can't find a charger.

I thought about buying an EV for around here and renting a car for long trips. Would solve the range problem and would save wear and tear on my car. But then I wouldn't be using my expensive, fancy, comfortable car for the trips where I would most benefit from the comfort and convenience.

EVs have a lot of advantages but as retiredguy wrote, when they make one with a range of 1,000 miles they will start to look attractive.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-11-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not in the market for a new car yet but would like to consider an EV when it comes time. We still make long trips though. We can drive 600-900 miles in a day if we have a destination we're trying to reach. EVs are not practical for that.

An article in favor of EVs pointed out that over 90% of trips are far less than the 300 mile range. While true, the problem isn't the short trips, the problem is I regularly make long trips. Convenient, inexpensive, and environmentally friendly for the last three months doesn't help me much if I'm in the middle of Iowa and can't find a charger.

I thought about buying an EV for around here and renting a car for long trips. Would solve the range problem and would save wear and tear on my car. But then I wouldn't be using my expensive, fancy, comfortable car for the trips where I would most benefit from the comfort and convenience.

EVs have a lot of advantages but as retiredguy wrote, when they make one with a range of 1,000 miles they will start to look attractive.
But, but, but.......what about global warming????? Or is it only true when it doesn't inconvenience one of the believers?
Old 08-11-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But, but, but.......what about global warming????? Or is it only true when it doesn't inconvenience one of the believers?
What about it? What did I write that is inconsistent with my beliefs? For that matter, what do you think my beliefs are that you are challenging my post?

To cut back on burning fossil fuels I could do without a car or a golf cart and just bicycle or walk everywhere. The 900 mile round trip might take four weeks but I have nothing much scheduled for September. But doing without transportation is simply not feasible. Instead, I make reasonable choices to reduce my consumption of fossil fuels.

Could I do more? Most likely. Could I do less? Absolutely.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-11-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
What about it? What did I write that is inconsistent with my beliefs? For that matter, what do you think my beliefs are that you are challenging my post?

To cut back on burning fossil fuels I could do without a car or a golf cart and just bicycle or walk everywhere. The 900 mile round trip might take four weeks but I have nothing much scheduled for September. But doing without transportation is simply not feasible. Instead, I make reasonable choices to reduce my consumption of fossil fuels.

Could I do more? Most likely. Could I do less? Absolutely.
But the real question----does anyone need to do anything? An emphatic NO
Old 08-11-2023, 07:53 AM

My wife and I just recently purchased the Hyundai Ioniq 5. We love it! Lots of power, handles great and plenty of space for the kids and our dogs. It gets about 270 miles on a full charge, and has the ability to DC fast charge up to 80% in about 20 minutes. The vast majority of the time its used by my wife to go back and forth from work which isn’t too far about 15 miles each way. She only charges the vehicle once every week. It will take about 8 hours to go from 5% to 100% on our level two charger in the garage. As an added bonus, Hyundai includes free charging at Electrify America chargers for 2 years. We didn’t buy it to save the planet. We drove it and loved it. We got $7500 tax incentive taken directly off the MSRP and an additional $2500 discount so the Limited trim version was 48k. I’m looking forward to trading in my Toyota Camry in the next year and am certain I will go with another EV. Quiet, Fast, Comfortable, no fumes or smells, no carbon monoxide worries, and little to no maintenance required. As for road trips, I do plan to drive it to back and forth between NY, South Carolina and Florida. We are the type who get restless after 3 or 4 hours of driving and take frequent breaks. Charging the vehicle to 80% in 20 minutes while I’m grabbing a snack or using the rest room isn’t a problem.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Both of our sons have been researching since day one (doctors it’s what they do) next gen electric cars. They have hybrid now.

Both drive less than 15 miles per day, but both agreed unless they can drive to TV from Louisville, KY and Greenville, SC stopping once for a charge, buying will wait. Both live in climates that work well, temp wise, also traveling the roads with severe inclines, in the foothills, May impact batteries.

For us longest drive is to Disney or Gainesville, anywhere else we fly. But we also will Wait for at least 400 mile charge.
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSRusso View Post
My wife and I just recently purchased the Hyundai Ioniq 5. ......... We got $7500 tax incentive taken directly off the MSRP and an additional $2500 discount so the Limited trim version was 48k.......
That figures. As a taxpayer, please thank me for subsidizing YOUR purchase of YOUR car. Just love the crap they build into the tax code.
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But the real question----does anyone need to do anything? An emphatic NO
You have made it quite clear that is your belief. It is not shared by all.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-11-2023, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
You have made it quite clear that is your belief. It is not shared by all.
Of course it's not shared by all, it's not even shared by a majority. It is only shared by those of us who know what they are talking about.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with an EV in a long road trip?

I have always been concerned about recharging. The fast chargers take 15-60 minutes so, if there were two cars ahead of you, it could take 3 hours to charge!
When taking long trips, the key is NOT to fully charge the vehicle. I was forced to drive a Tesla 1100 miles down the east coast. A simple Google search of battery cycle recommendations revealed that you should drive the vehicle's batteries down to 5-10%. Only charge them up to 55-60%, which takes about 12 minutes. Yes, only 12 minutes. This will give you another 180 miles. Charging the batteries to 100% would take 70 minutes and would only give you another 90 miles. This is Tesla long range specific.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
When taking long trips, the key is NOT to fully charge the vehicle. I was forced to drive a Tesla 1100 miles down the east coast. A simple Google search of battery cycle recommendations revealed that you should drive the vehicle's batteries down to 5-10%. Only charge them up to 55-60%, which takes about 12 minutes. Yes, only 12 minutes. This will give you another 180 miles. Charging the batteries to 100% would take 70 minutes and would only give you another 90 miles. This is Tesla long range specific.
Were there any cars ahead of you waiting to be charged? 12 minutes isn’t bad but if you have 2 or 3 cars ahead of you, it could be a long wait!
Old 08-11-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Were there any cars ahead of you waiting to be charged? 12 minutes isn’t bad but if you have 2 or 3 cars ahead of you, it could be a long wait!
I never had to wait for a spot, they were only 50-60% filled. I had just enough time to stretch my legs, go to the bathroom and maybe grab something to eat.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
I never had to wait for a spot, they were only 50-60% filled. I had just enough time to stretch my legs, go to the bathroom and maybe grab something to eat.
So, if everyone owned an EV, do you think you would still get instant access to a charging station?
Closed Thread

Tags
concerned, recharging, fast, chargers, 15-60

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.