I'm wondering

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Isn't social security government assistance.But anyway lighten up people chill out and all that.
I may be alone, but I don't view SS as government assistance. I've paid into SS since I started working part-time in 1963, and full-time since 1965. I would be much better off if the government had let me keep that money and invest it. So when you get right down to it I consider SS assistance TO the government, not FROM the government.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Isn't social security government assistance.But anyway lighten up people chill out and all that.
SS is government assistance? That's a laugh! LOL.....and all that.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

SS started as a safety net for poor people. It has now morphed into the primary, and in many cases the only, retirement plan for millions of people. I wouldn't call it government assistance, except at the lower income levels, since it is progressive regarding an individual's contributions versus pension payout.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,333 Posts

[QUOTE=redwitch;1198458]There are some in TV who could qualify but would rather go hungry than take advantage of the program. There are some who need it and use it here. Then are those who have found to weasel around everything and take it just because.

Well said
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
It could be you are so sick and tired of the government stealing your hard earned money and giving it to so many fraudsters/thieves, that you are thinking why not try to get some of my money back. From that perspective, I get it! I used to resent people that cheated on their taxes (deducting $500 "worth" of underwear to the Waterfront Mission every year; that kind of stuff). But now, I get it. They are only trying to get some of their stolen, wasted money back. There are soooo many thieves defrauding the government. The latest gig is the SSDI fraud. It's the new permanent unemployment program. A long standing fraud has been the former military disability claim that can net a person tax free income and, in Florida, 100% tax exemption on their primary residence. I have witnessed this fraud several times (people on active duty openly discussing their actions, others bragging about their disability claim). Being retired military, I am particularly disgusted in this scam. So, while many may resent your suggestion or consideration, and others may be appalled that you would even post this question, I can understand your thinking.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
It could be you are so sick and tired of the government stealing your hard earned money and giving it to so many fraudsters/thieves, that you are thinking why not try to get some of my money back.
---
Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 PM

I was a cashier at Publix for several years. I saw several folks do the same thing that Golfing Eagles was writing about. Conversely, I saw many older folks, Villagers like us, purchase meat, dairy, bread, stables and such, and pay with EBT. Takes all kinds, and there are all kinds living here. My conscious would not let me fraudulently use funds intended for others, but to each his own. Just remember that just because you can do it, doesn't make it right. Almighty God sees everything. Let that be your guide.
Closed Thread

Tags
advantage, wondering, worked, thinking, today, butts, curious, called, years, snap, people, program, food, stamp

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.