Interested in cruising from a Florida port?

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I never needed to be vaccinated to go on a cruise before, so why start now?
I’m ready to cruise today. No worries whatsoever.
And you haven't died before. But, in the future, being unvaccinated you MAY die of CV or you may spread it to unvaccinated adults or more terribly ........spread it to children.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonip View Post
Good morning. Gotta post this. According to the CDC and the VAIRS reporting system there have been over 12000 FULLY vaccinated individuals that have contracted covid and some have died. Many of you think this so called vaccine is bulletproof. What is the covid survival rate?
There will be covid cases on these ships. All you need is one and the whole cruise industry will shut down. Why? Fear and misinformation.
but at least 130 million have been vaccinated. so 12000 isn't really that significant. and, most cases are mild or asymptomatic. about 150 people have died but some from other causes than covid.

so count me as person who thinks the vaccine is virtually bullet proof. it's a no brainer to require it for cruising. if a significant number of people are not vaccinated and covid breaks out on the ship you may run into the same problems previous ships with covid outbreaks had...the inability to dock somewhere.

and again, the covid survival rate may be high, but there's no predicting who will get a serious infection. the more unvaccinated people, i.e. possible hosts for the virus, the more chance of variants forming that are more resistant.

I still have my son's school forms required listing his vaccinations so he can attend school. Desantis is just trying to appeal to a certain sector of the population. A great many of us want businesses to require vaccinations.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The cruise lines called his bluff and he has to back off with his tail between his legs - because he wanted to look good and tough and he did not think it through. He does NOT want to lose the cruise lines money dropped in Florida. He just fell into a "Cluster ******" of HIS own making!
FL isn’t losing any cruise line business and our Governor doesn’t have his tail between his legs. This is no different than going to MCO to board a flight to somewhere that requires a vaccine where it’s checked before you board, just like a passport is required for overseas travel. None of the airlines have pulled out of FL have they? Most cruise destinations seem to require a vaccine, and when he signed the law in FL about the vaccine passports, cruising wasn’t even allowed by the CDC. All is good and the cruises are heading out of FL next month.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

I was on a 2 week S.America/Antarctica cruise when COVID hit. No vaccine, and extremely few on the ship got sick. Two weeks later was on a western Caribbean cruise .... nobody got sick, and we were the last cruise in when they shut the port down. No more ships in or out, but nobody was sick on the ship. It is just an over reaction by the CDC to adhere to the CYA policy.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonip View Post
Good morning. Gotta post this. According to the CDC and the VAIRS reporting system there have been over 12000 FULLY vaccinated individuals that have contracted covid and some have died. Many of you think this so called vaccine is bulletproof. What is the covid survival rate?
There will be covid cases on these ships. All you need is one and the whole cruise industry will shut down. Why? Fear and misinformation.
What part of 95% efficacy do you need explained to you?
Old 06-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I would.

My decision now is whether or not to patronize cruise lines or any other establishment that attempt to coerce me to get vaccinated.
Your money, your choice. No one's forcing you to cruise.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:23 PM

This is an important issue to the billions of dollars and thousands of jobs the cruise lines provide for Florida and beyond.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Oh joy. Another person who thinks everyone wants to know they got their shot....yawn....
Heck yeah. I only want to cruise on a 100% vaccinated crew and passenger ship. A poll was conducted with 3000 Cruise Critic members and 89% polled said they will only sail on a cruise that has 100% vaccinated crew and passengers. I'm not alone and we all are very willing to provide proof of our vaccination status.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
As with the border crisis and the inability to find anyone to work the over 8 million available jobs, the Florida vaccine law invoked the Law Of Unintended Consequences.

The Governor had the good sense to realize this and is crafting a favorable resolution for the cruise lines and all the on shore jobs they provide.
DeSantis needs to save face, that is for sure.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Just heard the governor this morning and I think some of you folks have it backwards. He is telling the cruise lines that they cannot require proof of vaccination for those leaving on cruises from Florida ports. It violates Florida law and there will be a fine of $5000 per day per person for whom they try to require this. I’m vaccinated and already booked for a cruise. It makes no difference to me if the others on the boat are vaccinated or not. I took care of me, which is the only thing I have a right to do!
If I truly were worried about all that then I wouldn’t even be doing cruising!
I'm vaccinated and I feel very assured that I have complete protection from Covid and I do not worry at all about being among un-vaccinated people. Chances of me contracting the virus are so small I do not worry at all about it.

What I do worry about, however, is that if vaccine proof is prohibited, there may be a Covid outbreak among un-vaccinated people on my cruise and my cruise vacation is interrupted, ports missed, unable to disembark depending on the percentage of positive cases on board and so forth. There are so many ways a cruise can be negatively impacted.. Another way of negative impact is if un-vaccinated people are on board, safety precautions must be implemented such as masking, distancing and so forth. The only way to have a much better chance of no interruption to the cruise and to experience a cruise like pre-Covid, is to have all persons on board fully vaccinated.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:25 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

[QUOTE=coffeebean;1953583]Heck yeah. I only want to cruise on a 100% vaccinated crew and passenger ship. A poll was conducted with 3000 Cruise Critic members and 89% polled said they will only sail on a cruise that has 100% vaccinated crew and passengers. I'm not alone and we all are very willing to provide proof of our vaccination status.[/QUOT
Please don;t cruise until you are positive its 100% safe. Half empty ships are so much more enjoyable
Old 06-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Wrong. Sounds like you have drank the Kool-Aid. We are still Americans and have personal choice. I’m vaccinated, but people that choose not to take it for whatever reasons should not be punished or kept from being able to do the same things I can do.
Do NOT agree with you on this, at all. Cruise ships are not quite the same as land based businesses. Passengers and crew are "held captive" when out to sea. People can not just up and leave if they feel their health and safety is compromised. Cruise ships, essentially, fall into the same category as prisons, if you will. According to DeSantis' Law, there are certain businesses that can request proof of vaccination in order to enter and prisons are one. Nursing Homes are another just for point of reference. There are others.

There is also the problem that if there are more than 5% un-vaccinated passengers on board then safety protocols must be mandated. This includes masking and distancing. I will not cruise on a ship that mandates masking, distancing and reduced capacity in venues. I'm not alone in this thinking.

DeSantis can ban proof of vaccine in any venue he wishes, just not cruise ships.

All my opinion, of course.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Do NOT agree with you on this, at all. Cruise ships are not quite the same as land based businesses. Passengers and crew are "held captive" when out to sea. People can not just up and leave if they feel their health and safety is compromised. Cruise ships, essentially, fall into the same category as prisons, if you will. According to DeSantis' Law, there are certain businesses that can request proof of vaccination in order to enter and prisons are one. Nursing Homes are another just for point of reference. There are others.

There is also the problem that if there are more than 5% un-vaccinated passengers on board then safety protocols must be mandated. This includes masking and distancing. I will not cruise on a ship that mandates masking, distancing and reduced capacity in venues. I'm not alone in this thinking.

DeSantis can ban proof of vaccine in any venue he wishes, just not cruise ships.

All my opinion, of course.
Held captive? At an average of 2500 bucks per person. No one is impressed into the cruising navy.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
Violates Hippa laws, unconstitutional. Lawsuits coming. Some people (sheeple) need to quit letting the media and government drive your fears.
If a person is willing to offer their vaccine information, there is no violation of HIPAA laws.

There is no HIPAA Law violation to ask anyone if they are vaccinated.

Read about it .........Is It a HIPAA Violation to Ask About a COVID Vaccine? | Health.com
Old 06-01-2021, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorrell View Post
Like what?
DeSantis is going to have to make an exception to his proof of vaccination ban for Cruise Lines. That is the only way to settle this insanity.

Tags
interested, cruising, florida, port, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.