Interior Door Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Sage
Question Interior Door Question

I have one door in the house that gently swings open if it's left ajar. It's hung well. Swings smoothly, closes firmly and easily. But I would like it to naturally swing toward closing rather than swing open.

Any simple fixes?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM

I've seen that happen (either swing closed or open) with special hinges that have beveled surfaces on the hinge pin locations - think of the doors on restroom stall doors. So maybe a judicious application of a metal file to the hinge leaves? But I can't recall seeing that on interior doors unless the entire door tilts toward the direction of swing. Our front door to the outside naturally swings open if unlatched. It is just slightly out of plumb but by only a very slight amount. Not sure if that might be the cause and it has defied all my attempts to fix it so I hope someone comes up with a good solution not some cockamamie thing I might come up with.

Last edited by Sparty6971; 08-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have one door in the house that gently swings open if it's left ajar. It's hung well. Swings smoothly, closes firmly and easily. But I would like it to naturally swing toward closing rather than swing open.

Any simple fixes?
Modifying doors to swing closed - Straight Dope Message Board

OR

How to stop a door from swinging open - YouTube

Last edited by CWGUY; 08-12-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

A level should tell if the door jam is out of vertical. If that is the case, you can usually plug existing holes with glue and wood plugs, and move the screws in or out a little so the door is vertical. If the level shows the door is vertical, then double check the hinges to see if as suggested above you have self opening hinges installed, if so, buy new hinges and replace. The final thought, is there a draft or fan near the door that could be causing it to open?
Hope this helps.
Our cat opens ours if not latched.......

Tags
open, swings, swing, door, easily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.