Invasion of the Body Snatchers (or What Happened to the Boomer Generation?)

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2021, 02:27 PM

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

President John F Kennedy at his inaugural speech.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:35 PM
Default There is no Freedom of Speech in private situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
Corporations have. If you think we have free speech you’re not paying attention to what’s going on.

Many many people have been denied access to the following due to exercising their so-called “free speech” -

Flying
Banking
Social media platforms
Credit cards
Internet services (servers, access, etc.)
Jobs
I’m sure there are many many more

And this is just the beginning.
Free speech is a guarantee that Government cannot limit your freedom to communicate except under very limited circumstances, not yelling fire in a crowd, not disclosing National defense plans, slander, libel and so on.
There never has been a guarantee that companies, non-governmental groups or other people have to let you have your say. Facebook, as an example, is a private company that you contract with to use. You follow their rules or you break your contract with them and get booted. An other example, if you say something to me on my property, residential or commercial, that I object to, I can force you to leave, even by having you arrested for trespassing if you refuse. Airlines, Banking, Social media platforms, Credit cards companies, and Internet service providers have no requirements to tolerate anything you say and never have. Employers have always had the power to limit what you say or to fire you if they feel your comments are unacceptable to them.
I suggest many people would benefit from carefully re-reading the Bill of Rights. From comments I read, I think people do not truly understand the difference between guaranteed rights and private acceptance of your action.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:43 PM

I feel like you are trying to stir up trouble. Disagree with much of what you say, but only a few comments in return to post here.
I understand that my rights only go so far as they don't trample the rights of others -- thankfully there are others that do too.
I am completely capable of research and critical thinking and understand that vaccines are better than ever and extremely effective -- thankfully there are others that are/do too.
Yes, I've grown up and matured and understand that multiple and varied views on a variety of topics exist in the world and -- gasp -- even in younger generations than my own, may differ from my own, and am choosing to co-exist peacefully and respectfully - thankfully there are others share that view too.
I'm dismayed at how posts like these serve more to unnecessarily whip people into an unproductive frenzy than solve real issues -- and hope others see that too.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm an end-boomer, born in 1961. I totally missed the Hippies, though my babysitter was one, when I was 6. I grew up with tye die shirts, embroidered bellbottom bluejeans, wedge sandals, and cross-shoulder fringed pocketbooks. We didn't discuss politics in the house, so I grew up ignorant of politics. I didn't even know what party my parents claimed for themselves until a couple of years ago.

Our neighborhood was predominately white (we had, I believe, one black family), middle-class, suburban with sidewalks and unlocked back doors. We had summer sleepover camp. Life was fairly idyllic. When the race riot happened at our high school while I was still a Junior High student, I didn't understand it at all. I had zero understanding of why people WOULD have a race riot. I mean - they're just dark-skinned, what difference could that possibly make in the scheme of things?

We had a gay elementary school teacher. We laughed *about* him because he was a raging full-on effeminate rainbow-suspender-wearing "queen" but we never laughed AT him, because he was an amazing teacher and everyone absolutely adored him.

I grew up in, what was at the time, conservative-leaning moderate white american suburbia.

Presently, that is now known as "leftist." It's known as that, because what used to be right-leaning conservative, is now alt-right. And they have moved the entire spectrum. If anyone claiming I'm a "leftist" were to see an ACTUAL leftist, they'd realize how ridiculous their label is on me.

The "cancel culture" is nothing new. People like me have been victimized by it most of our lives. The only reason it's a meme, a trope - is because it's affecting "you" (the OP, not the person I'm responding to) now. It's "your" turn now. Doesn't feel very good, does it?

How about stop spewing hate and division and "us vs. them" all the time, making "my side" feel like we're somehow to blame for "your side's'" failures, and stop making "my side" feel like it's somehow inferior.

Then maybe you'll discover no one is trying to cancel you. They just want you to behave like a civilized adult. If you aren't capable of doing that, then you're going to get a time-out.
That seems like a pretty ideal childhood. Your parents probably felt that their job was to "protect" you. You seem to have ended up understanding the world pretty well. And on another subject, it would be nice if we could put 1/2 of the people in "time out" and re-educate them. We have a TV channel, FB, and other media that are making BIG $$$$$ by dividing US people. That did NOT exist in the 50s and early 60s when we were ALL Americans with just minor divergent views on Unions, cultural issues, and baseball. Then Vietnam and the JFK assassination exploded that bubble. And pent-up racism boiled to the surface. At least the major TV and radio media were NOT actively trying to stir up division and trouble until years later. It seems that internally we caused our own animosity and problems.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 02-22-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added word
Old 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The administrators on a Facebook page or group has nothing to do with Facebook itself. Each group has their own rules. I was thrown off of a Facebook group by the wife of one of the county commissioners when I said something about sometimes Euthanasia for dogs is a kindness.

There are other points on your post that I think you have incorrectly stated or generalized incorrectly as well.
Agreed. Sometimes euthanasia for pets is a kindness.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:47 PM

I know what the OP is trying to say. Here are my comments:

1. Baby Boomers have/had it easy except for the Vietnam guys. They will watch everything go bye. Baby Boomers are trained to watch things.

2. The "Greatest Generation" (my dad) knew you had to fight (yes, there is that word) for Freedom. They DIED for it. They would not tolerate anything that is going on now. They would handle it in person.

3. The generations after Baby Boobers are social media zombies that react emotionally based on what they are told over and over.

4. Sure, people that have no power can say anything. Because they affect nothing. Some people, like President in Exile have been silenced. I have friends in Corporate Management that they censor all employees through email police that look for key words. That is NOT free speech because they will be fired by saying the wrong things.

5. Last but not least. I have been "SHOCKED" at Major Religions reaction/fear of the Covid. I mean early Christians faced hungry Lions if they gathered. The Church leadership basically said we can't follow the Lord's COMMAND because of flu. Priorities are somehow not right here.

Last edited by sail33or; 02-23-2021 at 02:45 PM. Reason: meant to say "after" instead of "prior"
Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

President John F Kennedy at his inaugural speech.
Jack stole that line from the headmaster at Choate, the private school he attended. Originally it was "Ask not what your school can do for you; ask what you can do for your school." JFK stole his 'ask not what your country can do' speech from his old headmaster | Daily Mail Online

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 02-22-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpefloral View Post
Fun intro! Sadly though you are correct but the truth is even darker & uglier. People desperately cling to ignorance to keep life easy (only for the moment) but really giving allowing themselves & future generations to be slaves. READ HISTORY! Tear off the ineffective masks and refuse the experimental gene therapy masking as a vaccine. BE an AMERICAN not a sheepeople!
This is an aesthetic beauty - like poetry - it breathes pure scintillation into our minds.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
I know what the OP is trying to say. Here are my comments:

1. Baby Boomers have/had it easy except for the Vietnam guys. They will watch everything go bye. Baby Boomers are trained to watch things.

2. The "Greatest Generation" (my dad) knew you had to fight (yes, there is that word) for Freedom. They DIED for it. They would not tolerate anything that is going on now. They would handle it in person.

3. The generations prior to Baby Boobers are social media zombies that react emotionally based on what they are told over and over.

4. Sure, people that have no power can say anything. Because they affect nothing. Some people, like President in Exile have been silenced. I have friends in Corporate Management that they censor all employees through email police that look for key words. That is NOT free speech because they will be fired by saying the wrong things.

5. Last but not least. I have been "SHOCKED" at Major Religions reaction/fear of the Covid. I mean early Christians faced hungry Lions if they gathered. The Church leadership basically said we can't follow the Lord's COMMAND because of flu. Priorities are somehow not right here.
Regarding Point No. 3: Did you mean to say "Generations after Baby Boomers are Social Media Zombies...." because there was no social media prior to Baby Boomers except the telephone and U.S. mail.

Last edited by Carla B; 02-23-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,549 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Jack stole that line from the headmaster at Choate, the private school he attended. Originally it was "Ask not what your school can do for you; ask what you can do for your school." JFK stole his 'ask not what your country can do' speech from his old headmaster | Daily Mail Online
I don't know if he got it from his headmaster or not, but one of them got it from Khalil Gibran, who lived from 1883 to 1931.

Here's the exact quote:
Quote:
Are you a politician asking what your country can do for you or a zealous one asking what you can do for your country? If you are the first, then you are a parasite; if the second, then you are an oasis in the desert.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't know if he got it from his headmaster or not, but one of them got it from Khalil Gibran, who lived from 1883 to 1931.

Here's the exact quote:
Jack's classmates confirm he got it from his headmaster who used it profusely.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,549 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Jack's classmates confirm he got it from his headmaster who used it profusely.
Then his headmaster stole it from Khalil Gibran
Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Then his headmaster stole it from Khalil Gibran
Whatever. The headmaster was very fond of reiterating that statement. In his famous speech Jack merely changed "school" to "country".

Last edited by manaboutown; 02-23-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Most hippies are/were baby boomers.
I enjoyed a wonderful weekend at Woodstock. Was never a hippie in the true sense of the word but we are still alive and golfing! ⛳️⛳️
Old 02-23-2021, 06:42 AM
Default "Stupid people"

[QUOTE=jimjamuser;1906299]Stupid people often flirt with death and then die a stupid unnecessary death, like about 150,000 of the current CV deaths. But, I will concede that the Julius Ceasar quote made sense! But NOT the interpretation.

What you fail to realize is that, in this life, you attract what you fear. I'll continue seeing my 3 best doctors (Sunshine, exercise and laughter), and continue to enjoy life. You, or anyone else, can continue to live a "stupid" (your choice of words), life in fear. I would rather "flirt with death", and enjoy a "normal" life, than live in fear of death, doing exactly what someone else tells me I have to do. And never question authority.
How about "stupid" people that go to their death, or worse, because they allowed themselves to be brainwashed, never questioning anything, never thinking for themselves. For example, Jim Jones, Charles Manson, not to mention Hitler, etc, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
body, public, media, group, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.