Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2021, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
With all the problems that this plant can create with homeowners, it's amazing to me the Villages would allow bamboo to be planted anywhere within the venue.
There are lots of places in TV where the builders had bamboo planted along walls.
But planted on the outside. Not sure if they're "running" or "clumping" bamboo.

Hopefully the OP has been looking at new homes south of 44. This is definitely going to be a never ending neighbor war...
Old 09-03-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
You're kidding right? Spray round up on the ones in your yard problem solved.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Would certainly be worth consulting an attorney if the do-it-yourself solutions do not work

If a branch from your neighbor's tree falls on to your roof I suspect you could get them to pay for the repairs
Not in Fla
Old 09-03-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
With all the problems that this plant can create with homeowners, it's amazing to me the Villages would allow bamboo to be planted anywhere within the venue.

The Villages planted bamboo in Brownwood near TooJay's. I saw it the other day walking form my car.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:33 AM
Smile control bamboo

Google "ifas bamboo" for a variety of Florida specific info & remedies. I always add "ifas" when searching for plant info to ensure I get the Florida version of the data.

IFAS = U of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science.

SS-AGR-75/AG266: Bamboo Control
Old 09-03-2021, 09:41 AM

My last house had running bamboo in two locations, planted by the previous owners. Depending on how long it's been growing, you are unlikely to stop it and you can't kill it unless you use a small backhoe to dig up the entire area. You can try to dig it with a shovel but it will run (horizontally) very far from the original plant. My plants had sprouts 40 feet away and I was clipping sprouts on a weekly basis.

The attorney will cost you a fortune and I would not be surprised if you weren't totally happy with the result of your case in the end. Your property could be infested at the end of that ordeal. Installing a plastic barrier will stop it. I would hire someone cheap to install the barrier and be done with the problem. And I would do it as fast as possible. You might be able to kill what ever escaped your containment if you're diligent.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Default Invasive

Quote:
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
Depending on the variety, bamboo is extremely invasive. There is a variety called clumping bamboo which s supposedly not too bad but other varieties are extremely invasive.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Your best bet would be go to ARC and tell them the problem. They will give you the correct advice. These people on this site have no idea what the rules are.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Legal Issues

FE962/FE962: Handbook of Florida Fence and Property Law: Trees and Landowner Responsibility

I found this online: HANDBOOK OF FLORIDA FENCE AND PROPERTY LAW: TREES AND LANDOWNER RESPONSIBILITY.

I had a similar situation with evasive holly. The roots of my neighbor’s holly bushes had busted through my irrigation box and foundation cold seam joint causing water to enter my garage. I showed her the damage and the next day she had all the bushes removed. We are on friendly terms though. I hope you can find a way to resolve your issue with your neighbor as going the legal route may cost you more than personal remediation efforts and the outcome you desire.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:31 AM

Round up, even commercial Round up won't do it. Bamboo is a running grass. It can grow up to four feet in a day. So don't bother.
Each time it sprouts up, it's called a clum, you need to destroy the clum by pushing it over with your foot and breaking it in half.
If you neighbor thinks it's great, you have real problem.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default My pen is my harp and my lyre my library is my garden and my orchard

Tell the villages HOA what has occurred and they should go after your neighbor.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The neighbor does not want me to do anything and told me I should spray with roundup. That will also kill my lawn grass. There are numerous cases and law suits in FL for the damage bamboo can do.
It would be tragic if some of the Roundup or another powerful herbicide that kills the entire plant, not just the exposed greenery, ended up on the neighbor's bamboo plants instead of your grass.

Really tragic.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,393 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
Tell the villages HOA what has occurred and they should go after your neighbor.
What HOA?
Do you live in The Villages?
Old 09-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Check with The Villages. You can't plant within 5 feet of the property line. They will send someone out to check on this. If planted too close to the property line, The Villages will have them remove it.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I guess my question is, "What did YOU do on your side of the property line that he doesn't want to look at everyday?"

What he does on his property is his business just as what you do on your side is yours. Get an attorney if you have money to throw away.
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, property, invasive, damage, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.