It's not just St. Patrick's Day

Old 03-17-2024, 06:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts
Default It's not just St. Patrick's Day

In Boston, today isn't St. Patrick's Day, it's Evacuation Day.

Today is the 248th anniversary of the day the British were expelled from Boston, in 1776. A turning point of the Revolutionary War.

The fledging United States (Continental Congress) conferred its first ever Medal to Gen. George Washington for his masterful strategy, in forcing the British to flee Boston for Canada on this day.

(On November 25th, NYC will celebrate their Evacuation Day. The 241st anniversary of the day the last British Soldiers left Manhattan.)

Now go have a green beer to celebrate!
Old 03-17-2024, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Today is the 248th anniversary of the day the British were expelled from Boston, in 1776. A turning point of the Revolutionary War.

The fledging United States (Continental Congress) conferred its first ever Medal to Gen. George Washington for his masterful strategy, in forcing the British to flee Boston for Canada on this day.

(On November 25th, NYC will celebrate their Evacuation Day. The 241st anniversary of the day the last British Soldiers left Manhattan.)

South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade as well today and this morning the pols have their breakfast and annual roast at what Howie Carr refers to as Halitosis Hall!
Old 03-17-2024, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

It’s it National pizza, donut, or chocolate ice cream day too everyday seem to be a _________ day of some sort
Old 03-17-2024, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
It’s it National pizza, donut, or chocolate ice cream day too everyday seem to be a _________ day of some sort
Except one has historical significance and the other is kinda self serving
Old 03-17-2024, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

More important, it is NCAA Selection Sunday.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

Not just Boston. It’s all of Suffolk County. Growing up in Revere I always had the day off from school.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not just Boston. It’s all of Suffolk County. Growing up in Revere I always had the day off from school.
Revere...America’s Oldest Public Beach. I need a Bianchi pizza
Old 03-17-2024, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Some of my misspent youth, was at The Squire and Jacob's Ladder, back in the day. My daughter has a $750,000 Condo on the beach. Who ever would have predicted that?
Old 03-17-2024, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Officially? Or were you and a friend the only participants?
😉😉😉
Old 03-17-2024, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Officially? Or were you and a friend the only participants?
😉😉😉
The Monday after Saint Patrick’s Day (Evacuation Day) is a holiday in the four cities and towns in Suffolk County. Boston, Revere Winthrop and Chelsea so no school. Some city and state employees participate in what is affectionately called FMLA. The Friday Monday Leave Act*

*Source- Howie Carr
Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has injected any bathroom humor into this thread.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I'm surprised that no one has injected any bathroom humor into this thread.
I'll give you some semi-bathroom, topical humor. Seeing it's mostly MA people who responded, they'll know the names.

This story was told at the Semi-World Famous St. Patrick's Day Breakfast in South Boston. Mike Matarrazo (City Clerk in Everett, MA & former Patronage Chief to Bill Weld) wrote Bill's monologue. He was on the trip and swears the story is true.

Bill Weld went on a boondoggle "trade mission" to Ireland, back in 93-94. The Speaker of the House Tom Flaherty, went along.

They were leaving one pub for another and Flaherty couldn't find Weld. Someone told Flaherty that Weld was in the bathroom. Flaherty found him and told him to hurry up. Weld said, "I have to wash my hands, first. Didn't they teach you to wash your hands after going to the bathroom when you went to BC"?

Flaherty replied, "At BC, they taught us not to pee on our hands when we went to the bathroom".

I know that wasn't the bathroom humor you asked about, but it's the best I can do.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Revere...America’s Oldest Public Beach. I need a Bianchi pizza
Ree-VEY-uh. Take the blue line to the beach.

A LOT of actual genuine bona fide Irish emigrated to the Greater Boston area and there's a HUGE Catholic presence there. So it makes sense that they'd be super into celebrating their religion and heritage as immigrants.

Here in The Villages, I dunno. Doesn't really make much sense to me. I just don't get the impression that people celebrate immigrants much down here, except as an excuse to get drunk and wear green.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'll give you some semi-bathroom, topical humor. Seeing it's mostly MA people who responded, they'll know the names.

This story was told at the Semi-World Famous St. Patrick's Day Breakfast in South Boston. Mike Matarrazo (City Clerk in Everett, MA & former Patronage Chief to Bill Weld) wrote Bill's monologue. He was on the trip and swears the story is true.

Bill Weld went on a boondoggle "trade mission" to Ireland, back in 93-94. The Speaker of the House Tom Flaherty, went along.

They were leaving one pub for another and Flaherty couldn't find Weld. Someone told Flaherty that Weld was in the bathroom. Flaherty found him and told him to hurry up. Weld said, "I have to wash my hands, first. Didn't they teach you to wash your hands after going to the bathroom when you went to BC"?

Flaherty replied, "At BC, they taught us not to pee on our hands when we went to the bathroom".

I know that wasn't the bathroom humor you asked about, but it's the best I can do.
Mike Matarazzo was an Everett treasure. So sad to hear of his passing. I’m still looking forward to reading his book published several years ago
Old 03-18-2024, 07:00 AM
Default St Patrick’s celebration

Why were rainbow balloons at Spanish Springs during parade ? I thought that the day was to celebrate our Irish heritage not our sexual orientation.
What are the colors for straight people?
Slante

Tags
day, boston, british, today, celebrate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.