Did You Get Rid. of Cable?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Default Did You Get Rid. of Cable?

Did you make the plunge?
Did you get rid of cable?
Do you just have wifi now so you stream everything you watch except the news, so you have an indoor antenna.
What do you think?

Just wondering, Carol
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

we got rid of TV period. We listen to NPR and do stream Netflix for documentaries ..Florida's news is all about murders ..and no sports..
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Default Dish

We went with Dish for TV. Comcast for computer
Tampa, FL
Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Gold member

I'm debating what to do now. Since I'm gong to be renting my home when I'm not there, I'm leaning towards Brighthouse for cable, Internet and phone. Dealing with one company is just so much easier when you are 1100 miles away! (The management company that I use insists that there is a house phone.)
Old 04-04-2016, 03:14 PM

We went with Roku (https://www.roku.com/) and just have Brighthouse bring internet only into our home.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

At this moment I'm waiting for the rain to end in Baltimore, looks like they've just taken the tarp off the field so I can see my Orioles home opener against the Twins. I've also have never missed a Ravens game in the five years I've lived here. Does any other TV service have all the sports that Directv has? I'm not big on TV shows, mostly movies and live sports, Directv has the most for me. This week's Master's Golf coverage will be covered with 5 different channels. I'm not crazy about being a slave to Directv or paying a lot of money, but they're the only option I see.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:54 PM

If you love pro football Directv is the one. Their Sunday Ticket is great.
Only downside is during storms you may lose your HD connection. Simply switch to the non HD channel and it's back till the storm passes.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Gold member

Got rid of Comcast except for Internet and went to DirecTV. Never going back.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Gold member

We have had DirecTV for over 20 yrs. So it is hard for us to make the change, but the cost of DTV and internet is more than I want to spend.

We toss around the idea of an attic antenna and roku, netflix, hulu etc. But we need to learn much more about what is available with each option.

We got rid of a landline phone years ago. But DTV, that is a big hurdle for us!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Upgraded to Comcast X1 triple play about a year ago and love it, their internet and their phone service.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
We have had DirecTV for over 20 yrs. So it is hard for us to make the change, but the cost of DTV and internet is more than I want to spend.

We toss around the idea of an attic antenna and roku, netflix, hulu etc. But we need to learn much more about what is available with each option.

We got rid of a landline phone years ago. But DTV, that is a big hurdle for us!
Have you called them and asked for more discounts based on your years with them. I did and my bill was reduced by $40/mo.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Have you called them and asked for more discounts based on your years with them. I did and my bill was reduced by $40/mo.
Isn't that just wonderful how we have to have eyes in the back of our heads with these companies. I hate doing it but you have to keep them honest. I have DirecTv and never thought of it before will I get N.Y. Football & Baseball games when I move to TV? I plan on trying to give some attention to the Florida Pro Teams also. I'm being called a traitor by my neighbors here about changing my sports teams and my area code on my cell phone to TV exchange. Jealousy is a terrible thing, its gonna eat them up!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

When Cable was deregulated I thought it was a good thing. Now, I'm not sure. I don't like the idea of having to "haggle" with a Cable Company over my bill to get it reduced to a reasonable level. This seems like a poor business practice to me.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
MikeV
Yes, we call the every year and they cut a few bucks off our bill. But we still end up paying about $100 a month.

What gets me is the whole house HD fees, DVR fee, We have one 70" TV. But we have to pay all these extra fees etc, not just the programing package.
They have the best programming and picture, but the price just keeps going up.

We have decided that we can live without the NFL pkg, since we have football on Sun, Mon and Thurs. We also decided this is the last year for the NBA package. But even without those, it is $100 a month. I am tired of begging for discounts.

We would love to think we could be happy with the 3 networks, the ESPN1 & 2 and Video services like netflix etc. and an antenna. It is probably worth trying. If it is a fail, DTV always gives great deals to new customers, so we could come back to them.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
MikeV
Yes, we call the every year and they cut a few bucks off our bill. But we still end up paying about $100 a month.

What gets me is the whole house HD fees, DVR fee, We have one 70" TV. But we have to pay all these extra fees etc, not just the programing package.
They have the best programming and picture, but the price just keeps creeps up when we aren't looking.

We have decided that we can live without the NFL pkg, since we have football on Sun, Mon and Thurs. We also decided this is the last year for the NBA package. But even without those, it is $100 a month. I am tired of begging for discounts.

We would love to think we could be happy with the 3 networks, the ESPN1 & 2 and Video services like netflix etc. with an antenna. It is probably worth trying. If it is a fail, DTV always gives great deals to new customers, so we could come back to them. Right?

Last edited by dotti105; 04-07-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
rid, cable, indoor, antenna, wondering, news, carol, plunge, make, wifi, stream, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.