John Kerry and James Taylor.

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 AM

I almost cried when I saw this.
What a pathetic S-T-R-E-T-C-H of mea culpa.
In my wildest dreams I NEVER thought that the USA would be so lax in showing solidarity and GENUINE concern for mankind.
Ain't nothin' too far from our shores that we cannot join with persons of the planet and lock elbows against those who want to destroy human freedoms.
At this rate, we shall never overcome.
Bohemian 60's sound like they need to be revisited.
I have grandkids. I will fight to keep them safe.
Dark days ahead with this behavior.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please stay on topic and avoid name calling and overt partisan/political statements or the thread will be closed.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

We have turned into a country of wimps. So sad.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I hoped you were joking.
If not for fox news, i would think I must be nuts because everything I knew as true has been screwed around until it is all made to seem false.

I feel dirty for being American, itchy with disgust and revulsion, restless to do something, but impotent.
I think I'll get baptized again.

reminder to myself... The good news is that God has got this. Bible prophecy is in a torrential cascade of fulfillment.
It is ugly to watch the world lining up for the day of the Lord.
Reminder to myself...perfect love overcomes fear.
Reminder...I am not impotent, God is waiting for me to pray.

Seems like the USA I grew up believing in is dead.
I know how you feel. Every time I hear James Taylor sing Handy Man.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not a fan of this administration nor of John Kerry. Being from Massachusetts, I find him to be especially embarrassing.

But, I don't see what the big deal is about this. He had James Taylor come and sing a song about being a friend as a symbol of our friendship with the French. Is it really that big a deal?

I think that the entire march of solidarity was ridiculous. It really accomplished nothing. It was just a big show for world leaders. I'm glad our president decided not to participate. This little act was absurd as well, but I don't think that it embarrassed us as a nation. It just really wasn't that big a deal.

Some people want to bash the president and his administration for every little move they make. While I would have preferred a Romney presidency, I'm not going to take that course. I'd rather discuss more important things.

I did think however, that if they're going to have James Taylor (who I am a huge fan of) come and play and sing, that they could have gotten him a proper microphone set up. That was ridiculous!
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm not a fan of this administration nor of John Kerry. Being from Massachusetts, I find him to be especially embarrassing.

But, I don't see what the big deal is about this. He had James Taylor come and sing a song about being a friend as a symbol of our friendship with the French. Is it really that big a deal?

I think that the entire march of solidarity was ridiculous. It really accomplished nothing. It was just a big show for world leaders. I'm glad our president decided not to participate. This little act was absurd as well, but I don't think that it embarrassed us as a nation. It just really wasn't that big a deal.

Some people want to bash the president and his administration for every little move they make. While I would have preferred a Romney presidency, I'm not going to take that course. I'd rather discuss more important things.

I did think however, that if they're going to have James Taylor (who I am a huge fan of) come and play and sing, that they could have gotten him a proper microphone set up. That was ridiculous!

Finally, the voice of reason. I am also a big fan of James Taylor and would like to see him perform at the new Sharon Morse performing art center. Now if Secretary of State John Kerry had shown up with Lady GaGa, that would have been embarrassing.

BTW: how many US presidents have marched in any parade for solidarity in a foreign country? Hint: the answer is zero, zilch, nada.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Sage
Default John Kerry and James Taylor.

Quote:
...I think that the entire march of solidarity was ridiculous. It really accomplished nothing. It was just a big show for world leaders...
I think the Kerry/Taylor show was rather lame. But I think any gathering with the magnitude of the march has significance. People who otherwise have a rather small voice can make a significant impact on world perceptions and possibly the actions of world leaders.

Anything that shows such unity against terrorism has some merit.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I think the president and Kerry missed an opportunity to have an iconic, "peace-loving" muslim rock star and Rock Hall of Famer--like Yusuf Islam--sing to the French to recall the desire for peace and unity……

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjSHazjrWg

Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think the Kerry/Taylor show was rather lame. But I think any gathering with the magnitude of the march has significance. People who otherwise have a rather small voice can make a significant impact on world perceptions and possibly the actions of world leaders.

Anything that shows such unity against terrorism has some merit.
Well said, Polar Bear, all politics is perception.

I remember full well the photo and scenes of world leaders, including DeGaulle, walking the funeral route of President Kennedy in 1963. It didn't "do" anything, but it was very much appreciated by a stunned and still confused generation of Americans who had never experienced such a tragedy.

Perception. What would it have taken? What was the big problem?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
Well said, Polar Bear, all politics is perception.

I remember full well the photo and scenes of world leaders, including DeGaulle, walking the funeral route of President Kennedy in 1963. It didn't "do" anything, but it was very much appreciated by a stunned and still confused generation of Americans who had never experienced such a tragedy.

Perception. What would it have taken? What was the big problem?
Agreement with the message of the rally could likely have been the problem.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I am not a supporter of Obama or any of his policies. However, I have mixed emotions on his failing to join this march. I say so because of France's position supporting Palestine as evidenced by Palestinian Authority President Mahmond Abbas walking along side the leaders of the free world. France is noted along with number of other European countries for its rise in anti-Semitic activities.

I do support the notion of freedom of expression and believe that even if someone is offended, which often is the case that freedom of expression should never be curtailed. ( Yes I know about not yelling "fire"in a theater)

I do believe that this Administration continually "intellectualizes itself into stupidity"( my inventive expression) and too often we here the melody of "Bring in the clowns" to fill the voids left by this Admin

I am beyond embarrassed for my country
Old 01-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage

Thank you Rubicon - couldn't agree more.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.