Jury Duty

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Default Jury Duty

I got a Juror Summons for Federal Court in Ocala for
this Mon., July 3rd.
So I called the number and I've been excused.

Now they tell me to do the same thing 3 weeks from now.

I didn't know they could just " roll it forward" like that.

Has this happend to anyone else?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
this Mon., July 3rd.

Yes. I believe so. Back in 2009. I did eventually go up there and then got excused because the Judge thought I was not telling him everything with his questions. I would have had a very hard time doing that as you have no warning about what kind of case they might put you on and then when the case comes up the questions are related to that. In our legal dispute, we got an employment discrimination accusation made by a Hispanic bilingual Claremont police officer who wanted to write his reports in Spanish and he was allegedly harassed because of this by some of the other officers. So, the questions the Judge asked were about relations with police departments, employment discrimination, experience supervising people, etc. Did you know any of these Claremont police officers, lawyers, other jury members, etc.

They deal with all kinds of cases that have Federal Jurisdiction.

Good luck with this.

The jury found for the Claremont police department but the Judge had some harsh words for the alleged harassers. It was in the Orlando paper and might have been on one of the local news stations too.

Then I got another Sumter County Jury Summons in May of 2014. Had one first around 2007 but told them I was busy with legal stuff. So, I knew I would eventually get recalled by the Sumter Court Clerk of Court. The defendant plead guilty in that matter so the whole jury pool got to go home. I had e-mailed the Clerk of Court a rather lengthy narrative of my experiences with the legal system so as not to blindside them when they started in with the VOIR DIRE questions as they can get extremely complicated in answers for some people.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-30-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:17 AM

I believe in Florida, if you receive the notice that you are to be available for jury duty selection, you can be excused if you are over the age of 70. You can request being excused due to age. However, if you are over 70, receive the notice to be available for jury duty, and you want to serve, you will be allowed to appear for jury selection.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I believe in Florida, if you receive the notice that you are to be available for jury duty selection, you can be excused if you are over the age of 70. You can request being excused due to age. However, if you are over 70, receive the notice to be available for jury duty, and you want to serve, you will be allowed to appear for jury selection.
Called for Jury Duty? You May Be Excused Based on Your Age | ElderLawAnswers

It does look like 70 is the age here if Florida for Federal Courts.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
this Mon., July 3rd.

My husband has the situation. He is excused on July 3rd, but needs to check again in three weeks.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
My husband has the situation. He is excused on July 3rd, but needs to check again in three weeks.
Learn About Jury Service | United States Courts

This might be of interest if you have not looked at it already.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Learn About Jury Service | United States Courts

This might be of interest if you have not looked at it already.
We have both served. Mine was a First Degree with death penalty off the table. My husband has served five times, all criminal. Never has there been a subsequent date to check in. You showed up and spent the day. If not selected you returned next day or you were excused period.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We have both served. Mine was a First Degree with death penalty off the table. My husband has served five times, all criminal. Never has there been a subsequent date to check in. You showed up and spent the day. If not selected you returned next day or you were excused period.
I have received Jury Summons five times but have never got past the VOIR DIRE. I did want to serve in four of these situations. The other one I was dealing with a lot of law related stuff.

These were in Sonoma County, CA where the Judge said he noticed me around the Law Library looking at their materials for survivors/victims of crimes. The Prosecutor bumped me of off the Jury. Probably because I helped prisoners when at the U of MN Law School through Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners. The Court was in Santa Rosa, CA. This was around 1995. Then in Pinellas County, FL., around 2003 where they booted me because I had a law degree but I had also been checking their law library for stuff to help survivors/victims of crimes. The Sumter County 2007 Summons I just told them I was busy with getting the Florida Victim Services Directory connected to libraries and why I wanted to do that. At least, that is what I think I did. The Ocala Federal Jury Summons connected to the same experiences of me and law libraries and I did the May 2014 Sumter County one. They keep you on a tight rein up there so I could not check out if they even had a Law Library up there in Ocala in the Federal Building. They do not want you talking with other people all that much when in the Jury Pool.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-01-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Platinum member

I was called when I lived in Tampa a few times.
Had to report in and then was excused.

I never knew if you didn't have to report they could then do the same 3 weeks later.

I hope in 3 weeks they don't do the same thing! This could keep going all Summer.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was called when I lived in Tampa a few times.
Had to report in and then was excused.

I never knew if you didn't have to report they could then do the same 3 weeks later.

I hope in 3 weeks they don't do the same thing! This could keep going all Summer.

Thanks for the responses!
http://www.flmd.uscourts.gov/jury/OcalaJuryBrochure.pdf

You are on call for one month for the Federal Court in Ocala.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Last time I got the notice I called and said my wife needed constant care and assistance. No problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
weeks, thing, happend, roll, forward

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.