Lakewood Ranch

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2019, 06:36 AM
Default Lakewood Ranch

My wife and I are planning on building a home in TV in 2020 for a permanent move sometime in 2021. We are hoping to build between the turnpike and 44 west of Lake Okahumpka. We are awaiting approval of the final plat by the city and then release of the lots by the developer. We have designed a custom Woodside and are biding our time.

We have visited and toured multiple times with our TV salesperson. We really like TV especially because of the golf and other activities that are available.

My sister lives in Longboat Key (Sarasota area) and I am going to visit her next week. While I am there, I plan on spending the day with a realtor touring Lakewood Ranch (which is a multi-generational community) and walking through lots of models.

If you have any direct or indirect experiences with Lakewood Ranch and how it compares with TV, please share your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:40 AM

We looked at Lakewood Ranch 6 years ago before we moved to TV. It’s a very nice place but at that time they only had one town and two golf courses. One was a public course and the other wanted several thousand dollars initiation fee. I can’t recall the exact amount but I believe it was over $20,000. TV has more activities by far.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Without a doubt "Lakewood Ranch"
Old 12-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Lakewood Ranch and The Villages have similarities but are two different entities. The Villages is much more of a one stop shop for retirees.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:58 AM

Make sure and ask the realtor about the lake water erosion issues. And do your own research.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:53 AM

There is no way to compare The Villages to Lakewood Ranch . Lakewood has better health care by far is also not prone to sinkholes. both have bonds but different ways of transfer cost to buyer. activities are different so it just depends on what you like to do as you age. Lakewood Ranch has a better selection of homes from condos to many million dollar estate homes. I think a Village house has better build quality but in Lakewood Ranch you are able to build a quality custom home of your choice if you so desire It is up to every individual where it is better
Old 01-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

We made a bid on a home in Lakewood Ranch in the midst of the real estate bubble in the 90's and did not get the house. My mother was living in Venice at the time and it would have been relatively close to her. I'm very thankful that we discovered The Villages. This was the best decision that we ever made. The lifestyle options sold us in a heartbeat and continue to excel in our opinion.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Their website shows Toll Bros builds some nice looking homes there. All and all it is a lifestyle decision as several posters have mentioned.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannbarr View Post
My wife and I are planning on building a home in TV in 2020 for a permanent move sometime in 2021. We are hoping to build between the turnpike and 44 west of Lake Okahumpka. We are awaiting approval of the final plat by the city and then release of the lots by the developer. We have designed a custom Woodside and are biding our time.

We have visited and toured multiple times with our TV salesperson. We really like TV especially because of the golf and other activities that are available.

My sister lives in Longboat Key (Sarasota area) and I am going to visit her next week. While I am there, I plan on spending the day with a realtor touring Lakewood Ranch (which is a multi-generational community) and walking through lots of models.

If you have any direct or indirect experiences with Lakewood Ranch and how it compares with TV, please share your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
We love Lakewood Ranch. We love the it is multi-generational. Each “village” is independent from each other. Most have real gates and nothing beats the Sarasota area. Plenty of stores and doctors offices nearby. The area isn’t for everyone but neither is The Villages. You need to check it out to see which one is more important to you. This will be where we will be relocating to in the near future.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Lakewood ranch is a cut above. True gated communities. Visit family there. You are stopped, ask where you are going and take your license plate number. Del Webb building a new 55 plus community there. Toll Brothers also but no age restriction. Esplanade is upscale. Great restaurants. We have been tempted every time we visit family.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM

While Lakewood Ranch has a lot to offer, the cost to have access to golf and amenities is high. Currently to have premier membership in the country club requires a $30,000 nonrefundable initiation fee and then over 10K a year for a family membership. This give you access to golf, tennis, pickle ball, fitness club etc.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:22 AM

We went to Lakewood Ranch a couple of years ago to visit the Del Webb community there. Del Webb was (and still is) building out, and there were about 300 homes sold there at the time we visited. So, it wasn't exactly a hustling/bustling community. But we liked it. No golf course at Del Webb Lakewood Ranch if that's your interest, but there are other home communities in Lakewood Ranch that do have golf.

We're planning on going back this spring to visit the new Kolter "Cresswind" community that's in the early stages of being built. Kolter/Cresswind and Del Webb are the only 55+ - limited communities in Lakewood Ranch at present. The others are open to anyone who can pay.

As far as other things, Lakewood Ranch goes east about 13 miles inland from the gulf / Sarasota. You're fairly close to Siesta Key beach, for example. I like that it's inland enough so as to (hopefully) not absorb direct hurricane hits that would come up the west coast, but still close enough to get to the water. Del Webb Lakewood Ranch is on the farthest eastern (inland) side of Lakewood Ranch, and is a straight-line distance of about 13 miles from Siesta Key. As with many things Florida, there is no straight-line driving, however, so it's about 21 miles to drive.

There's shopping mall areas not far from LR, right near I-75, probably 15 minutes by car depending upon which part of Lakewood Ranch you're coming from.

Del Webb, by the way, has a "stay and play" option where you can pay for a 3-day stay on the premises with all access to amenities. That would give you plenty of time to go out and explore other communities in Lakewood Ranch, as well.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Platinum member

I visited Lakewood Ranch when it first began to build.
We also went back before our last trip here.

Our favorite beach is Siesta Key.

We lived in Tampa for 17 years.
Lakewood Ranch is a very busy, traffic congested place.
The property taxes are high.

Personally after living through many hurricane scares in Tampa I wouldn’t want to be in that area.

After spending most of my life on Long Island and then Tampa, at this age I don’t want all that craziness anymore.

Tags
ranch, lakewood, lots, home, realtor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.