Legalized Gun Silencers?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Get real. This argument has nothing to do with gun silencers. There is obviously nothing wrong with a silencer and they should not be taxed. It is a political argument by those who want to take away a citizen's right to own a gun. Why not be honest about it? I hate these dishonest, veiled attempts to take away our constitutional rights.
They want every city to be like Chicago. The Villages Florida
Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Gold member

They can be homemade from PVC pipe.
pvc suppressor - YouTube
Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Gold member

"Thou shalt not kill" wasn't directed at inanimate objects!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
In view of the FACT that suppressors are already legal, what is your big objection to removing the tax on them?

I read it wrong...my position is in error!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I have never heard of a silencer committing a crime yet.
If anyone has by all means share your knowledge
karostay: its a very long story but we insured a book company that published some unsavory books such as How To Be A Hitman. it included how to build a silencer. this guy hired another guy who followed that book to the letter to kill his family for insurance money. We handled the lawsuit
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
They want every city to be like Chicago. The Villages Florida
Nazis, also collected the guns in the prior years be for the genocide .

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
You mis-state the facts. Suppressors (the legal name - they don't "silence" anything) are already legal. The proposed bill does not "make them legal." What it does do is remove the $200 tax on purchasing one.
The purpose of a tax should be to raise money for the government. It should not be to punish people of to control the sale of anything. A tax should not target a specific group of people.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

This is a situation where uninformed people have watched way to many hollywood movies
Bad guy pulls trigger no sound is made and good people drop dead

Reality is any type of noise suppressor or silencer on a firearm with a velocity greater than a 22 will have only a 20 to 30% reduction of noise at best.

I suggest you go to gun range listen and do the math
30% you still need hearing protectection

Second is the size of the silencer or suppressor will be almost most as long as the barrel itself.

Not the hollywod reach in your back pocket slide it over the barrel shoot no one will hear you models you have been led to believe exist

If Supressors Only Reduce the Noise Level of a Gun by 20-30%, Why Use Them at All? - Quora
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM

So many lame excuses to protect criminals and murders at the behest of the NRA
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
So many lame excuses to protect criminals and murders at the behest of the NRA
Your post shows that you have very little if any
understanding about the NRA.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM

I am a veteran and a retired citizen of the United States who dutifully paid his taxes from the time he was seventeen until retiring at sixty four. I would like to buy a suppressor so I can shoot my .22 caliber target pistol at the local range without being encumbered with noise suppressing ear muffs or stuffing plugs into my ears. Furthermore, I would like to do this without getting the approval of my local sheriff who is much to busy to get to personally know me, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco who is manned by government bureaucrats that have little interest in processing my license application in a timely manner, or for that matter, at all. I have had a concealed carry license in three states and thus have been the subject of three FBI checks over the course of 40 years. I would also like to pay my local gun store the 7 % FL sales tax and not pay a $ 200 to the Federal Government in addition which has already taxed me quite heavily all my working career. Is there something wrong with what I would like to accomplish ?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Gold member
Default This argument has been beaten to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
An NRA sponsored bill in in Congress that would legalize gun silencers.

Why?

The NRA says it is important to protect the hearing of hunters. Get real, folks! If a hunter wants his hearing protected for the times he goes hunting, buy ear plugs. Lots cheaper!

Silencers would protect domestic abusers and criminals. Prime example is the Villager who shot 32 rounds of ammunition through a neighbor's front door several months ago. Other neighbors heard the shots and called police. If a silencer was used, chances are that no one would have heard a thing and that nut case would not be in jail.

Okay, let's get an honest discussion going here with no political or name calling as to WHY silencers should or should not be legal.
I do believe in the right to bear arms but like EVERYTHING else it has gone NUTS. Use for a silencer I don't see any.
Use for a 30-50 or ????? magazine I don't see any.

Your statement re: the villager firing through a neighbor's door and your FEAR that if he had a silencer no one would have heard. Is based on mis-knolege from watching too much TV. A silencer is NOT as quiet IN REAL LIFE as it is on TV.

Our is mostly LIBERAL CONTROLLED and anti-gun.
I doubt many of you are aware that the shooter at the pulse night club had he not shot his gun was in violation of the law-you are not allowed to have a gun in any place serving liquor. The one in Las Vegas. There are several conflicting stories about what he was shooting.
REALIZE-the lowlife was found dead in the hotel room he was shooting from. So no gun left the room. One report is that the guns were modified to shoot AUTOMATIC. If, you do not know, an automatic weapon is ILLEGAL.
OH and talk about MISINFORMATION. You are being FED the term ASSAULT RIFLES. LOOK IT UP. It takes a lot to realize you are being misinformed. A assault rifle is by definition AUTOMATIC which means simply IT IS ILLEGAL TO OWN. What too many REPORTERS, tell you about people buying owning assault rifles is simply FALSE INFORMATION.

SOLUTION I DON'T HAVE ONE. Perhaps, the NRA is being forced to push back against people WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE thinking that they do. Sadly, I must admit some of the VOICES on both sides of this issue are perhaps guilty of insanity-I HOPE IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY INSANITY.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think ear plugs for hunters should be legal.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Back when I used to hunt I got into bow hunting. Pretty quiet and enjoyable.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
This is a situation where uninformed people have watched way to many hollywood movies
Bad guy pulls trigger no sound is made and good people drop dead

Reality is any type of noise suppressor or silencer on a firearm with a velocity greater than a 22 will have only a 20 to 30% reduction of noise at best.

I suggest you go to gun range listen and do the math
30% you still need hearing protectection

Second is the size of the silencer or suppressor will be almost most as long as the barrel itself.

Not the hollywod reach in your back pocket slide it over the barrel shoot no one will hear you models you have been led to believe exist

If Supressors Only Reduce the Noise Level of a Gun by 20-30%, Why Use Them at All? - Quora
Besides using the suppressor you also need to use sub-sonic ammunition. I personally would leave the law as it is. You can still buy a suppressor it just takes a bit more effort and money.
Closed Thread

Tags
silencers, heard, protect, hearing, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.