liv golf tour for the fans

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2022, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

So should professional golf be a monopoly? Seems like more competition would only improve the fan experience.

I understand why the Saudi connection would be a big negative for some but otherwise what are the downsides of the new league? I can think of a few but I am not a big golf fan.

However I always love professional sport controversies.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

Did he get to visit Ivana and say hello??
Old 08-04-2022, 06:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Buy(?) your tickets from a re-seller. Stub Hub was selling $75 tickets for $7.00. That might pay for the band after the tournament.
If the band gets paid at all.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Did he get to visit Ivana and say hello??
LOL, Under New Jersey law, land being used for cemetery purposes is exempt from real estate and personal property taxes, as well as sales tax, inheritance tax, business tax, and income tax.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:52 AM

Stopped watching Baseball and Football years ago because of various nonsense - Golf will follow suit soon enough.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
So should professional golf be a monopoly? Seems like more competition would only improve the fan experience.

I understand why the Saudi connection would be a big negative for some but otherwise what are the downsides of the new league? I can think of a few but I am not a big golf fan.

However I always love professional sport controversies.
I agree with you and I am a big golf fan. I love watching LIV golf on my tv via YouTube. To me it’s more entertaining than the PGA Tour telecast. I watched all four days of the Bedminster tournament and not a single stroke of the Rocket Mortgage tournament last weekend. I like the team aspect in addition to the individual part of the structure and I like that everyone starts at the same time.
It’s a startup and just like every other startup it will struggle out of the gate. My hope is that it succeeds because even professional golfers deserve options in where they work and under what terms and how much they’re paid.
The talk of “ has beens” and “never been” and “over the hillers “ is ridiculous because they were all previously on the PGA roster but you didn’t hear any complaints about them until some competition came along and took some major stars of the game away from the Tour. I’m glad Tiger turned down LIV. Talk about a has been; he’s it. Every time he plays an event he’s the only guy the commentator talk about and he’s the least likely one to win it except for maybe Phil these days.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
LOL, Under New Jersey law, land being used for cemetery purposes is exempt from real estate and personal property taxes, as well as sales tax, inheritance tax, business tax, and income tax.
Hmmm, we have 3 Guinea pigs, 2 dogs, a turtle ( wasn’t my fault) and a bird buried in our back yard. Gonna call the tax assessor‘s office up here this afternoon.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
If one recalls in the 70's the pga pro tour broke from the pga, as the prize monies were rather small. All the television revenue went to the PGA which was largely centered in NY and NJ.
In effect, the stars of that day had a grievance and won their battle.

Five decades later the LIV group is offering huge signing bonuses to elite players. Can one really blame the "elite" players for wanting to grab the brass ring. By they're leaving the PGA there should be more prize money for grinders, who no one seems to care about at all.

Could you imagine, showing up to qualify on monday morning, and by monday night you have to decide if you really want to continue doing this for a living. Almost as bad would be to qualify but by friday night your bag is in your trunk, and you still have no monies coming in. Again by opening up some spots at the top the grinders may make some money,

After all, this is a game, right?
Very easy answer, go out and use the free education you received playing golf in college and get a real job. Nobody if forcing them to continue doing something they abviously are not good at. Go get a real job and stop complaining.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
this past weekend my son went to trump liv golf tour in jersey, his take as a golf fan at the course.food trucks at every other hole and with tables and chairs. after the game they had a live band. they run a better show than the pga. the times are a changing.
The PGA has its' problems with control of its' members but LIV is all about money and greedy players. The professional golfers on tour are rich - How much more money do they want! When oil is not the energy source for the future, where will the Saudi's be - selling sand!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:20 AM
Default Caddy Shack 2+3

LIV Golf will turn into the bad caddie shack movies....it circus entertainment with has been clowns........but, good for them..... take the money and run....but don't expect everyone to welcome you back, you can't dump in someones yard and expect them to welcome you to their house anymore.... you made your bed, you got your money, now you want acceptance, ain't gonna happen. League will never be self supporting, will never give billions to charity its just a toy for the rich. Even Barkely tried to tap that bottomless well,TNT should have fired him, Barkley commentating golf, Caddie shack 3, So, if you liked caddy shack 2 and 3 you will love the liv tour. It is your choice. I would rather got to a real circus..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammaiora View Post
The PGA has its' problems with control of its' members but LIV is all about money and greedy players. The professional golfers on tour are rich - How much more money do they want! When oil is not the energy source for the future, where will the Saudi's be - selling sand!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
I think most of the people commenting here are missing the point. You’re not the target audience, so you can put yourself in the over the hill crowd. LIV is focusing on a younger, international crowd…which coincidentally is who advertisers are looking for.

Spot-on. Six months ago I was totally against the guys flipping to LIV. But after a lot of reading and hearing all sides, my views flipped.

I now feel that PGA was a monopoly and stuck with their history and stale policies.

I thought deeply about what I might do if I was in a pro golfers shoes. And pretty sure that I’d flip for many reasons - primarily the $$$, both the signing bonus, better schedules, and higher winnings.

Odd how the PGA has increased payouts for most tour events now. Competition does work. But PGA is determined to NOT have this. Sad.

According to LIV their 54 signed participants is over and done. So apparently any other PGA guys who want to flip may be shut out.

When LIV signs a TV deal their popularity will explode.

So be it. I do hope that LIV does continue to grow. I know, the Saudi thing. But how about the NBA with their close ties to China??? Shh….
Old 08-04-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
You do every time you flip a light switch and pump gas. They’re paying the golfers with YOUR money.
😷. Yes, who is really going to throw the first stone. Notice, how much the PGA has increased their purses since the starting of LIV? In addition, how they payed off the top 10 money winners on the PGA tour last year.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Bull! It's to attract the type of fan who likes to scream, yell and pee behind a bush. It's not for "Golf" fans, it's for idiots to make a spectacle of themselves....which they do and will. LIV golf is all about the Benjamin...not growing the game of golf
Old 08-04-2022, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

its called competition....
Old 08-04-2022, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Spot-on. Six months ago I was totally against the guys flipping to LIV. But after a lot of reading and hearing all sides, my views flipped.

I now feel that PGA was a monopoly and stuck with their history and stale policies.

I thought deeply about what I might do if I was in a pro golfers shoes. And pretty sure that I’d flip for many reasons - primarily the $$$, both the signing bonus, better schedules, and higher winnings.

Odd how the PGA has increased payouts for most tour events now. Competition does work. But PGA is determined to NOT have this. Sad.

According to LIV their 54 signed participants is over and done. So apparently any other PGA guys who want to flip may be shut out.

When LIV signs a TV deal their popularity will explode.

So be it. I do hope that LIV does continue to grow. I know, the Saudi thing. But how about the NBA with their close ties to China??? Shh….
With the possible exception of the Ukraine fiasco, the Chinese Communist Party is our one and only potential existential threat. Not to mention their multiple attempts to exterminate religious populations and their racist attitudes about anyone who isn't Han Chinese, especially blacks.
How racism and discrimination affect black people in China and Hong Kong | South China Morning Post
China Is Sterilizing Minorities While Trying for A Han Baby Boom

But our government(both major political parties) and corporations have put short term self interests above our long term national security.

And considering that the Saudis have made closer ties with Israel and is a strong ally against Iran, I can not get worked up like I used to about the middle east kingdom because at least they are moving in the right direction.

Last edited by ithos; 08-04-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added links
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, liv, tour, times, tables

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.