Locks on PODs Moving Storage Containers

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Default Locks on PODs Moving Storage Containers

We packed a POD, locked the hasp with two different types of locks, stored for two months, then shipped to our address in The Villages. We used a round Padlock with shielded shackle and a heavy duty Master Lock with typical "U" shaped shakle at the top. When our POD arrived, it had two Round Padlock Shielded Shakle type of locks on it. "Customer Service" checked with both origination and destination sources to inquire whether there were any incidents / searches. There was nothing on the record. "Customer Service" summarized my problem as "So you lost the key?" I replied, "No, I lost my lock." They did redirect the delivery truck back to help. None of his spare keys worked. Very nice PODs delivery man cut the hasp off. "Customer Service" person was distressed that POD hasp had been cut. My advice is to use two round padlocks with shielded shakle. Paint them in a few odd colors / designs. Photo your locks and the entire POD. And this has never happened before?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSun View Post
We packed a POD, locked the hasp with two different types of locks, stored for two months, then shipped to our address in The Villages. We used a round Padlock with shielded shackle and a heavy duty Master Lock with typical "U" shaped shakle at the top. When our POD arrived, it had two Round Padlock Shielded Shakle type of locks on it. "Customer Service" checked with both origination and destination sources to inquire whether there were any incidents / searches. There was nothing on the record. "Customer Service" summarized my problem as "So you lost the key?" I replied, "No, I lost my lock." They did redirect the delivery truck back to help. None of his spare keys worked. Very nice PODs delivery man cut the hasp off. "Customer Service" person was distressed that POD hasp had been cut. My advice is to use two round padlocks with shielded shakle. Paint them in a few odd colors / designs. Photo your locks and the entire POD. And this has never happened before?
Sounds pretty suspicious.
Was anything missing?
Make sure nothing was added, like drugs.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM

We had no problems. When I first ordered the POD I also ordered a padlock to be delivered with it. POD arrived as did the brand new padlock, still encased in the plastic wrapper with two keys). We loaded and had it shipped to TV (after 2 months in storage). It arrived, my wife had a key and I had one - we unlocked the POD, unloaded, and had it picked up - no problems. I had several conversations with customer service and was always impressed. We thought it was a great service and well worth the cost.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Gold member

I had a similar experience. After locking my POD and storing it I was contacted and told one of the locks was damaged while unloading at the storage facility. The same day a new key was delivered to me for the replacement lock. Three months later the POD was delivered and all was well. Everything was there and it was obvious that the hasp had been repaired. The other lock was fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

IF and when I am able to move in few months I plan on using pods Very interested in people's comments good or bad?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
IF and when I am able to move in few months I plan on using pods Very interested in people's comments good or bad?
Good. See my two previous posts.

post #1

post #2
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 AM

Our pod (8x8x16 long) arrives in 3 weeks and will follow us to TV the end of the month. One interesting thing to take into consideration. We have 3 2'w x 6'h x 8'l storage racks with 4 shelves each that we are building in the pod. My first design was U shaped with 2x4s putting a shelve in the middle. Pods interior is actually 7'w x 7'3"h x 15'3"l so the U will not work. Instead we are staggering with the first off being on the central rack.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

this bothers me that someone would go thru your things
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We placed two locks on ours when we sent it off from Massachusetts and nothing was disturbed at arrival.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
this bothers me that someone would go thru your things
I placed one lock on mine and nothing was disturbed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.