Looking for Hawaiian Vacation Tips

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Default Looking for Hawaiian Vacation Tips

My husband and I are starting to plan a vacation to Hawaii and we are looking for tips on travel and things to do. We will be staying in Kona, Hawaii (the big island) and have already booked our lodging. We will be going the first week of September.

Tell us your favorite airline, time of day to leave Orlando and why? Is premium seating worth it? (We can’t afford first class at this point.) What is the food situation on these flights, do they serve meals or snacks only? Is it better to book a flight with a stop or go on a direct flight?

What was your favorite place or activity there?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give us!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Before Covid I would alternate winter’s between Hawaii and Miami Beach for 3 months, I leave early in Orlando and stop in LA for about acouple of hours , I do fly first class so I don’t know about the regular seating but I’ve talked to people who have shopped around and found first class bargains. I’m 82 and healthy but after the age of 70 I said to myself if I can’t fly first class on long flights I’m not going , I’ve been to Kona if you just like beaches it’s fine but try the other side of Island for the waterfalls and other nice scenery. I love O’ahu because there more to do and you don’t need a car good luck once you go you’ll always come back
Old 05-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancat7 View Post
Is premium seating worth it? (We can’t afford first class at this point.) What is the food situation on these flights, do they serve meals or snacks only? Is it better to book a flight with a stop or go on a direct flight?
When we flew to Hawaii several years ago we stopped on the West Coast for a couple of days each direction to visit friends. I was glad we did that because it is a hellish long flight from the East Coast. I actually got us amazing first class fares on Hawaiian Air (we booked pretty far ahead) that were only a couple hundred more each way than coach. That is the only time we have ever flown first class and OMG what a difference!

Even with a stop over in LA I was majorly jetlagged for a couple of days in Hawaii. YMMV.

If you visit Kauai I highly recommend a helicopter tour of the island. You will see things you can't possibly see by land. We booked with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. It was ~ $200 pp [this was 7 or 8 years ago] and probably a lot more now but so worth it.

Good luck with your trip planning!

kathy
Old 05-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

If you like pineapples, you will be in heaven!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

We used to visit Hawaii, but haven't been back since a tsunami desroyed the Kona Village Resort a decade ago.

Recently, Hawaiian Airlines has started nonstop service from Orlando(MCO) to Honolulu(HNL) a couple times a week.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If you like pineapples, you will be in heaven!
Actually as labor has increased in Hawaii pineapple plantation moved to the Phillipines.

Beautiful islands and agree try and do a helicopter tour.

We have gone on cruises and both times we had reserved one mother nature decided we should not go.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:54 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:55 PM

Thank you for your info. Much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:01 AM

Aloha....I lived there for 20 years after retiring.
Kona weather very warm! And sunny!
Great for water sports....sailing, scuba, snorkeling.

Three bucket list things to do:

See the giant Ray's at night!
Trip up to Mauna Kea! At sunset!
Trip to Kilaueau crater for volcano lava flow.

Kona coffee, vanilla farms, macadamia nuts.
Heaven!

Have fun! Kerstin
Old 05-06-2021, 05:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

No info regarding flight situations from Orlando, but my fave things to do in Hawaii have been:

- hiking to a giant waterfall (they do look romantic, but beware, being under one is COLD and hard hitting)
- Boat ride to explore shore caves and swimming with dolphins in the ocean (for real, not the aquarium situation)
- Helicopter ride. In Kauai this was PHENOMENAL

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:11 AM

DO NOT - DO NOT - DO NOT fall for the suggestion to drive to Hana. All the flight crews recommend it. It is a long winding road with more pot holes per mile than any road in the world. It does have some beautiful scenic views, but the HOURS of travel is torture.
Strongly consider a stop on the way out and back. We stop at Vegas for 1 - 2 nights on the way out and 4 - 5 nights on the way back.
We used to stop in California or Washington, but the conditions there have stopped that.

Last edited by nick demis; 05-06-2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 AM
Default Would love to join you!

Definitely upgrade your seating. At least economy +. Depending on how long you'll be there, island hopping is a great option to see so much more on your trip. Each island is unique. Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2021, 06:27 AM

Hawaiian Airlines now fly direct from Orlando to Honolulu, heard it on the news
Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
DO NOT - DO NOT - DO NOT fall for the suggestion to drive to Hana. All the flight crews recommend it. It is a long winding road with more pot holes per mile than any road in the world. It does have some beautiful scenic views, but the HOURS of travel is torture.
Strongly consider a stop on the way out and back. We stop at Vegas for 1 - 2 nights on the way out and 4 - 5 nights on the way back.
We used to stop in California or Washington, but the conditions there have stopped that.
Disagree. Just rent a Jeep or other off road rated vehicle. Basically, you can rarely go faster than 20 mph for most of the trip, but it was well worth it. So was driving up to the rim of the crater of Haleakala (bring a jacket). If you have orthopedic back or neck problems---pass. Of course, the OP is going to the big island, so these Maui drives would seem to be irrelevant.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:37 AM

We are flying to Oahu in a couple weeks to visit our son and family (military). We have flown both Delta and American with American usually having fares a bit less. Definitely upgrade to + with both and choose the seats at the windows. Prior to Covid, Delta fed us more often and really was a bit much. We are flying American again as we had a good experience with them last time, will see how current times affects this one. When on the big island, be sure to do the helicopter tour, we also used Blue Hawaii, and a snorkeling trip. We had dinner at the restaurant where they we doing a night ray excursion, looked interesting. Also, try to cut up the flight. We flew nonstop from Atlanta, that was a long, miserable flight. We now fly to Dallas, but would also consider LA or Arizona. Hope the tips you are receiving help, best of luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
favorite, flight, hawaii, tips, vacation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.