Comcast - good news

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Comcast - good news

I have internet through Comcast at $19.99 per month (just coming to the end of my first year with them, having switched from Centurylink).

After three months on the Florida Vacation Plan (which reduced my monthly bill to $6 and which they never once managed to bill correctly, charging the full $19.99 until I called and explained to them the error of their ways) I reactivated my connection and, unbeknownst to me, they put me back on a different plan at $65 per month.

The e-mailed bill arrived today - $132 for 1.9 months (go figure) - and I immediately called them to sort it out.

After fighting my way past the automated assistant (although that name suggests that it was of some assistance, rather than being a complete pest) I spoke with an agent who investigated, found the problem and reinstated my original $19.99 package, with full reimbursement of the overcharge.

Moral of the story - while Comcast will use every trick in the book to charge you extra, stick up for your rights and they seem happy to relent.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have internet through Comcast at $19.99 per month (just coming to the end of my first year with them, having switched from Centurylink).

After three months on the Florida Vacation Plan (which reduced my monthly bill to $6 and which they never once managed to bill correctly, charging the full $19.99 until I called and explained to them the error of their ways) I reactivated my connection and, unbeknownst to me, they put me back on a different plan at $65 per month.

The e-mailed bill arrived today - $132 for 1.9 months (go figure) - and I immediately called them to sort it out.

After fighting my way past the automated assistant (although that name suggests that it was of some assistance, rather than being a complete pest) I spoke with an agent who investigated, found the problem and reinstated my original $19.99 package, with full reimbursement of the overcharge.

Moral of the story - while Comcast will use every trick in the book to charge you extra, stick up for your rights and they seem happy to relent.
Congrats on the great price for Comcast. These cable companies always reward the new customers and forget about the old customers. We've been with them for 8 years for internet and they charge us as much as possible. Unless you're willing to switch back and forth between companies every year or call and threaten them to leave you are stuck paying the high price. It just wears me out mentally to call them.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Is Comcast better than CenturyLink for internet only? if so, why?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Congrats on the great price for Comcast. These cable companies always reward the new customers and forget about the old customers. We've been with them for 8 years for internet and they charge us as much as possible. Unless you're willing to switch back and forth between companies every year or call and threaten them to leave you are stuck paying the high price. It just wears me out mentally to call them.
We're in the same situation. And it wears me out mentally to spend three hours on the phone negotiating a better price, and three more hours when we receive the incorrect bill.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalderman12 View Post
The best rate we could get from CenturyLink was around $35 per month, so almost double that of Comcast, but we really switched because the CenturyLink connection kept cutting out - at least once every hour, for several minutes - and, although they came round to check, they could never find what was wrong.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
These cable companies always reward the new customers and forget about the old customers.
Annoyingly, even though the agent said I should be able to renew at $24.95 at the end of my first year (in two weeks) she wasn't able to lock that in on today's phone call. I have to call back next Sunday as they "need my permission" within a week of the end of the contract. Funny how they didn't need my permission to ramp UP my rate from $19.99 to $65 :-)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:

Do you know what the upload and download speeds are? I only have comcast internet but my bill is $40+.
Does anyone remember the name and email of the wonderful comcast rep that has helped villagers before? I can search for it, if it's not handy.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We're in the same situation. And it wears me out mentally to spend three hours on the phone negotiating a better price, and three more hours when we receive the incorrect bill.
I feel your pain. Every time we come back north we need to renegotiate up here because of the window constraints on their vacation package. We return the equipment, close up account, and start up a new account when we return in the Spring.

It's stressful and time consuming, but there's no other way.

oTOH, the vacation package is working well for us in TV.

An interesting aside, Comcast in TV relates in no way to Comcast in PA. It's as if they're two entirely different companies.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Do you know what the upload and download speeds are? I only have comcast internet but my bill is $40+.
Does anyone remember the name and email of the wonderful comcast rep that has helped villagers before? I can search for it, if it's not handy.
I have "Economy Plus" which is sufficient for my needs, but I can find nowhere on their website giving info on download/upload speeds

Tom at Villages AV is a good person to contact - is that who you are thinking of?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have "Economy Plus" which is sufficient for my needs, but I can find nowhere on their website giving info on download/upload speeds

Tom at Villages AV is a good person to contact - is that who you are thinking of?
Not Tom. He is a great guy too. I don't want to "take advantage" of his good work. He's a businessman and I respect that.
But now that I think of it, it might have been Tom that mentioned a Comcast Rep in a thread that villagers have emailed and have been helped without all the usual comcast BS.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Between Lawn Care Companies and Cable Companies we are getting old fast.

I have an e mail of debbie_brainard@cable.comcast.com

Do not have a phone number for her.

do speedtest.com and you should be able to test your upload and download speed.

Cheers!

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 PM

There is an underline between debbie and brainard in the email.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
Between Lawn Care Companies and Cable Companies we are getting old fast.

I have an e mail of debbie_brainard@cable.comcast.com

Do not have a phone number for her.

do speedtest.com and you should be able to test your upload and download speed.

Cheers!
Thank-you
and I agree that dealing with cable companies are aging us. Comcast knows this. They know a certain percentage of their customers would rather overpay then talk to them. I'm guilty. I thought I was getting their best price and now I need to go back into the ring.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Why was this thread considered Good News, sounds like the same old Comcast to me.
Sure would love to dump Comcast internet. I will say that the internet bill has not changed. $39.95 a month
Old 07-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Default Speed test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalderman12 View Post

If you are using a CenturyLink Broadband connect and not the fiber, it is very slow and could not meet the speeds advertised for our package. Switched to Comcast for Internet only at 29.99/month and have had no issues with billing or speeds.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, comcast, $19.99, called, full, plan, month, months, complete, spoke, agent, investigated, pest, assistant, automated, past, suggests, assistance, moral, extra, charge, book, stick, happy, relent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.