Marijuana

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I believe this issue is filled with compassion. The benefits far out way the maybe, possibly, perhaps guess work of things that might happen. What is a known fact is that it helps many people in miraculous ways.
golfingnut: I understand and believe that your basis for support here is compassion for people in need of relief. However, I believe you are letting your caring ways overtake sound judgment. I believe profiteers are overselling this issue. As I mentioned in a previous post I see the push for marijuana the same as support for the Iraqi war and like the Iraqi war when the body count begins to rise and the cost of maintaining the war drains our pocket books people will begin to see the reality of it all and the absurdity of listening to populist politicians and money hunger profiteers . EvenGov jerry Brown (D-CA) sees through this issue and there is many more liberal leaning people than Brown
Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
[B]
Any other legal drug has to have FDA approval. Marijuana is not FDA approved.
".....the scientific evidence to date is not sufficient for the marijuana plant to gain FDA approval, and there are a number of reasons why.
..... (snipped).... It also impairs short-term memory and motor coordination; slows reaction time; alters mood, judgment, and decision-making; and in some people can cause severe anxiety (paranoia) or psychosis (loss of touch with reality). And marijuana is addictive—about 4.5 million people in this country meet clinical criteria for marijuana abuse or dependence."
Quoting: Beverage alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is a drug. But exactly what is a drug? A drug is simply “Any substance which when absorbed into a living organism may modify one or more of its functions.”

Did alcohol require FDA approval? It is also very addictive and has myriad side effects including aggressive behavior.

Sometimes drugs like alcohol and marijuana are best regulated. I would rather see marijuana sold in a facility that requires ID from teenagers, than sold by drug pushers in school parking lots.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Quoting: Beverage alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is a drug. But exactly what is a drug? A drug is simply “Any substance which when absorbed into a living organism may modify one or more of its functions.”

Did alcohol require FDA approval? It is also very addictive and has myriad side effects including aggressive behavior.

Sometimes drugs like alcohol and marijuana are best regulated. I would rather see marijuana sold in a facility that requires ID from teenagers, than sold by drug pushers in school parking lots.
Well said, and I can only imagine what other chemicals are added to street marijuana to enhance the effect of it on the brain. If we could say its bad and that would be the end of it, I would vote that way. Fact is, pot is never going away, so legalize it for medical use, tax it for income and stop putting criminal records on our children and grandchildren for using it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
...What is a known fact is that it helps many people in miraculous ways.
This is a most interesting assertion for anyone to make.

Just to be clear ... do you really mean to say that pot, in effect, possesses "miraculous" capabilities?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well said, and I can only imagine what other chemicals are added to street marijuana to enhance the effect of it on the brain. If we could say its bad and that would be the end of it, I would vote that way. Fact is, pot is never going away, so legalize it for medical use, tax it for income and stop putting criminal records on our children and grandchildren for using it.
I agree that pot is never going away and that's unfortunate.

I truly hope that I can provide effective guidance to my grandkids to simply stay away from using all mind-altering drugs because they are basically a crutch. I have no idea if they will listen (still very young anyway) and the impulsive forces of the culture (go ahead and use dope, be cool, no problem, everyone does it etc) will be huge and almost impossible to overcome.

But, that's how I feel and what I will try to do.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran member

Is too!

Is Not!

Is Too!

Is NOT

IS TOO!

IS NOT!

OK Stalemate!

How about... we just let the voters decide?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
I agree that pot is never going away and that's unfortunate.

I truly hope that I can provide effective guidance to my grandkids to simply stay away from using all mind-altering drugs because they are basically a crutch. I have no idea if they will listen (still very young anyway) and the impulsive forces of the culture (go ahead and use dope, be cool, no problem, everyone does it etc) will be huge and almost impossible to overcome.

But, that's how I feel and what I will try to do.
We did for our daughters and they for the grandchildren. That is what is so missing in society today.

Also, why do we not hear about extracting the chemical from pot that has the medical properties. I also don't want to see my bartender lean on the counter and say HEEEY MAAN WHAT YAA HAAVEN.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
Is too!

Is Not!

Is Too!

Is NOT

IS TOO!

IS NOT!

OK Stalemate!

How about... we just let the voters decide?
I hear you!

Btw, is there any mechanism to actually conduct a vote of some type here on TOTV? Would be interesting to see what it would be.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.