Marijuana

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts
Default Marijuana

I sure hope this is not considered political, and it should not be.

There are currently two states where marijuana is now legal. There is currently bi partisan legislation in our congress to actually legalize it across the country in order to tax it.

Marijuana has been proven to have very serious side affects...paranoia, anxiety etc.

I suspect I am showing my age, but what the heck are we doing in this country......we are destroying marriage with laws and morals of the country and now we are saying it is ok to take dope.....smoke something that will impair judgement so we can collect taxes !

Why are we discussing gun control.......a person smoking marijuana would be acceptable to buy guns with the current trend.

I am confused about the direction of this country for sure, and wanted to hear what anyone else feels about it.

I suspect I am alone, and not "with it"...seems most on here want this kind of stuff which they call being......I wont use the word I was going to as it would seem political.

But, the legalization of marijuana in a few states and more moving in that direction, the discussion that we should make it legal so we can tax it.......am I the only one who sees serious problems in the future. Marriage means nothing, you can smoke dope legally, BUT WE will have made sure that we can't load our guns quickly !!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

What do you think of alcohol?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Hmmm. I am not for or against it. Depending on who is discussing it they will tell their side of why or why not it should be legalized. obviously you hear the medicinal sides but than the paranoia sides. To each there own. But.. What is the difference than between alcohol that we know is bad and causes all kinds of concerns that is legal but taxed heavily; cigarettes the same thing. Look what prohibition cost to try and control liquor. Sure we can say more stoners on the roads now along with drunks. Go on and on.
Looking on the brighter side, we could reduce the law enforcement agencies such as the DEA, locals, trying to do their thing on this and their enormous budgets, AND make more monies for the governments at the same time to blow on other issues. Just some thoughts.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

1. The discussion by our leaders is only to COLLECT TAX MONEY which was one of my points but not addressed. This while we try to engage folks in a serious discussion on gun laws. The answer to our deficit and a way to continue to spend...legalize and tax dope. Nice message.

2. Not a doctor, so cannot engage in a real conversation on marijuana affects except every single thing I have read says ONE puff can make you have affects including paranoia, etc. THAT, to me anyway, trumps alcohol.

Secondly, the premise I am reading is....well, we have this alcohol and we think it is bad, so heck lets just legalize marijuana....seems the two post on here use the mere existence of alcohol as a justification to legalize marijuana.

As I said, it must be me. We actually think we have serious conversations about gun control while at the same time we talk about legalizing something that has these affects. THAT makes no sense to me.

This country is no longer the country of ideals, self discipline....it is about the easy way out. Lets legalize crack.....tell me why not ? Anything and everything that may get in the way of our good time and instant gratification .
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
1. The discussion by our leaders is only to COLLECT TAX MONEY which was one of my points but not addressed. This while we try to engage folks in a serious discussion on gun laws. The answer to our deficit and a way to continue to spend...legalize and tax dope. Nice message.

2. Not a doctor, so cannot engage in a real conversation on marijuana affects except every single thing I have read says ONE puff can make you have affects including paranoia, etc. THAT, to me anyway, trumps alcohol.

Secondly, the premise I am reading is....well, we have this alcohol and we think it is bad, so heck lets just legalize marijuana....seems the two post on here use the mere existence of alcohol as a justification to legalize marijuana.

As I said, it must be me. We actually think we have serious conversations about gun control while at the same time we talk about legalizing something that has these affects. THAT makes no sense to me.

This country is no longer the country of ideals, self discipline....it is about the easy way out. Lets legalize crack.....tell me why not ? Anything and everything that may get in the way of our good time and instant gratification .
It's because being in a stupor is easier than working hard, saving money and being self-disciplined.

The saying for all this in the 60's was:

"If it feels good, do it."

It's all come home to roost.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
What do you think of alcohol?
Ask this question to the alcoholics that go to the 18 A A meetings per week in The Village. Or the families of theses alcoholics that attend the 4 Al-Anon meetings a week just trying to survive the damage these alcoholics cause.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Sage

I am all for people having access to marijuana IF they have a genuine need such as the effects of chemo for cancer or other major sources of pain. Definitely, I do not feel that the prescriptions available over the Internet are valid and those people just want the legal way to smoke dope.

If there is a medical need - no problem. Otherwise, no marijuana.

As for the tax collecting part - if marijuana for medical need is made legal, tax it. Alcohol is taxed, cigarettes are taxed, condoms are taxed, tax marijuana for legal purposes too.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

Much less damaging than alcohol, salt,sugar, and a host of over the counter drugs..Too much hype about this and yes I do remember the 60's, quite fondly. A lot of the critics have never tried this and make comments based on total lack of personal knowledge. The worst danger I've ever seen from the folks I knew that used it was over eating and laughing too hard..Of course it should never be used at work or driving,etc. It does temporarily alter functionality,just as alcohol does.. One interesting note is that aggression is not one of the side effects of this, but it is with alcohol. Mean drunk or happy drunk, no one knows for sure. Most of these folks I knew that smoked pot grew into prominent members of society and we now love to laugh about the good old days..I wish it were legal in Florida.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
Much less damaging than alcohol, salt,sugar, and a host of over the counter drugs..Too much hype about this and yes I do remember the 60's, quite fondly. A lot of the critics have never tried this and make comments based on total lack of personal knowledge. The worst danger I've ever seen from the folks I knew that used it was over eating and laughing too hard..Of course it should never be used at work or driving,etc. It does temporarily alter functionality,just as alcohol does.. One interesting note is that aggression is not one of the side effects of this, but it is with alcohol. Mean drunk or happy drunk, no one knows for sure. Most of these folks I knew that smoked pot grew into prominent members of society and we now love to laugh about the good old days..I wish it were legal in Florida.
I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by John_W; 02-06-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Sage

But, but, but smoking marIjuana leads to murder and being institutionalized in an asylum for the rest of your natural life. Didn't you ever have to watch the movie, "Reefer Madness" in high school?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
But, but, but smoking marIjuana leads to murder and being institutionalized in an asylum for the rest of your natural life. Didn't you ever have to watch the movie, "Reefer Madness" in high school?
Obviously, you are a lot older. I thought that movie was from the mid-1930 era. Glad that even real old folks like you are able to participate in an online forum.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Obviously, you are a lot older. I thought that movie was from the mid-1930 era. Glad that even real old folks like you are able to participate in an online forum.
No, i am a child of the 60's. Movie was made in 1936, originally titled "Tell Your Children", but we actually had to watch it in high school.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

I was never a big user, but over 20 years I would guess 200 times. I started when I was in the Army stationed in Korea. The majority of the people in my unit smoked it, from the helicopter pilots to the controllers. I can tell you, the only times I was ever out of control or aggressive was when I was drunk on alcohol.

Smoking grass, the biggest entertainment was watching TV or listening to music, that's all you needed. If every alcoholic replaced their booze with grass, this would be a much better world. If you haven't tried it, then don't knock it. .
IMHO, if the government permits selling of alcohol, and limits the age of use, why wouldn't they monitor marijuana use in the same way. It's a profitable business, just ask the Drug Lords. A lot of critics base opinions on lack of knowledge. Of course grass shouldn't be used when driving or working. I know a lot of people on drugs for depression or anxiety. A little medical marijuana might really cheer them up. The biggest side effect is not aggression, but unrestrained hilarity.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 AM

Some people drink alcoholic and become alcoholics. The vast majority of those that enjoy alcohol are not alcoholics. As a person that was in the business of selling alcohol, Disco's, sport bars and restaurants. I have seen thousands of folks drink responsibly and I have also seen my share of abusers of alcohol. It is my experience that other problems lead to the abusive behavior. Depression, marital problems and a myriad of others. In most cases the alcoholic is a person twenty five years old and up. Generally speaking they either eventually get help "AA" or continue down that path to their own distruction.

Pot smokers on the other hand usually start at a younger age. Most that I have seen start in their early teens. Whats the harm, they are just partying and having fun. Thats better then school work or a job or both in some cases. Gee that feels good the pot smoker says, lets try something stronger, a line of coke, then two and three and more and more. Hey that cost a lot of money. Crack is cheaper. Get the picture ?

I have seen people drink too much and get sick and have terrible hangovers. But I have also seen some of my friends lose their kids to overdoses of drugs. I myself have lost two dear friends years ago to overdoses. I have also helped to bury two teenage nephews because of overdoses of drugs. It is a known fact and for what it is worth, my very considered opinion, that the first step to drug abuse, is smoking pot.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I sure hope this is not considered political, and it should not be.

There are currently two states where marijuana is now legal. There is currently bi partisan legislation in our congress to actually legalize it across the country in order to tax it.

Marijuana has been proven to have very serious side affects...paranoia, anxiety etc.

I suspect I am showing my age, but what the heck are we doing in this country......we are destroying marriage with laws and morals of the country and now we are saying it is ok to take dope.....smoke something that will impair judgement so we can collect taxes !

Why are we discussing gun control.......a person smoking marijuana would be acceptable to buy guns with the current trend.

I am confused about the direction of this country for sure, and wanted to hear what anyone else feels about it.

I suspect I am alone, and not "with it"...seems most on here want this kind of stuff which they call being......I wont use the word I was going to as it would seem political.

But, the legalization of marijuana in a few states and more moving in that direction, the discussion that we should make it legal so we can tax it.......am I the only one who sees serious problems in the future. Marriage means nothing, you can smoke dope legally, BUT WE will have made sure that we can't load our guns quickly !!
Sure sounded political to me and furthermore your choices and beliefs are now in the minority of this country good or bad. I think we are in no worse shape now than when our grandparents wondered where this country was heading when women got the right to vote.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.