Marijuana

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Sage

I am strictly Bud Light; however, I have known folks that have drank most of their life and I know several back home that even at our age have been puffing on the wacky weed for over 40 years. In my opinion, the pot heads seem to be of better health mentally and physically than the drinkers. I think if we searched hard enough you would find more Alcohol executives than Doctors taking offense to Marijuana. Just the fact that if you take 20 people in a room and have 10 smoke a few Marijuana cigarettes and 10 have a few drinks, then interview each one, you would find the pot smokers to be more lucid and controlled than the drinkers. Check out the link below.

I have heard of Drunk Drivers killing people, but pot drivers is less mentioned.

A link to Scientific American:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ruth-about-pot
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Platinum member

I am generally in favor or allowing personal choice in all things, as long as that choice does not harm others, destroy property, or violate any other laws that are necessary to guarantee life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for others
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

I SAY decriminalize it..alot of the talk of marijane is just that talk..show me the studies.. I will show you studies that mj kills cancer...if u have the time...watch "Rick Simpsons Phoenix tears RUN FROM THE CURE" google it, then come back and tell me abou how bad this plant is. won't post the link coz no one will open it but google it and see for yourself...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Yes, I smoked a few joints during the 60's as did a large percentage of the baby boomer population and it didn't give me any ideas of going out and raping little old ladies, or shooting people. Whether or not it caused me any brain damage is a decision my TOTV friends have to judge. Although I do have a few friends that still smoke the crap, I don't believe it is addicting. Of course, the stuff people are smoking today is much stronger. And perhaps is more dangerous. But to give my opinion, I don't think it should be legalized as it does hinder your reflexes and I wouldn't want my kid riding with a bus driver who smoked weed, or the pilot flying the plane I'm in.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Yes, I smoked a few joints during the 60's as did a large percentage of the baby boomer population and it didn't give me any ideas of going out and raping little old ladies, or shooting people. Whether or not it caused me any brain damage is a decision my TOTV friends have to judge. Although I do have a few friends that still smoke the crap, I don't believe it is addicting. Of course, the stuff people are smoking today is much stronger. And perhaps is more dangerous. But to give my opinion, I don't think it should be legalized as it does hinder your reflexes and I wouldn't want my kid riding with a bus driver who smoked weed, or the pilot flying the plane I'm in.
Not the point Tom. None of us would want the bus driver to be smoking pot, drinking alcohol nor even eating a foot long hero with fries and a coke while driving, but it is about individual freedom. Big business has a lock on alcohol, so that is why it is OK. Please compare a teen age kid after smoking a joint and one after drinking a bottle of Vodka. The smoker will be more likely to get home alive than the vodka drinker. This is not about protecting anyone, it is all about the almighty dollar. Alcohol is the fastest acting DOPE we have. I enjoy drinking, so I am living large in The Villages, but for those that find any alcohol distasteful, but wish to relax once in a while are being denied what I see as an individual right.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I am generally in favor or allowing personal choice in all things, as long as that choice does not harm others, destroy property, or violate any other laws that are necessary to guarantee life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for others
My thoughts exactly. hard for me to say more without getting political, but I don't believe that personal behavior should be regulated as long as the only person it can hurt is the person engaged in this behaviour. This extended to behaviors I might not personally agree with.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Default gateway drug, I think Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrack View Post
Some people drink alcoholic and become alcoholics. The vast majority of those that enjoy alcohol are not alcoholics. As a person that was in the business of selling alcohol, Disco's, sport bars and restaurants. I have seen thousands of folks drink responsibly and I have also seen my share of abusers of alcohol. It is my experience that other problems lead to the abusive behavior. Depression, marital problems and a myriad of others. In most cases the alcoholic is a person twenty five years old and up. Generally speaking they either eventually get help "AA" or continue down that path to their own distruction.

Pot smokers on the other hand usually start at a younger age. Most that I have seen start in their early teens. Whats the harm, they are just partying and having fun. Thats better then school work or a job or both in some cases. Gee that feels good the pot smoker says, lets try something stronger, a line of coke, then two and three and more and more. Hey that cost a lot of money. Crack is cheaper. Get the picture ?

I have seen people drink too much and get sick and have terrible hangovers. But I have also seen some of my friends lose their kids to overdoses of drugs. I myself have lost two dear friends years ago to overdoses. I have also helped to bury two teenage nephews because of overdoses of drugs. It is a known fact and for what it is worth, my very considered opinion, that the first step to drug abuse, is smoking pot.

I was raised ultra conservative. I didn't think of trying this till in the late 20's. Even in Vietnam I wouldn't think of using this. Later I did try it and realized it was just hype, for whatever reason. Never once did I, or any of my friends EVER wish to experiment with more proven, dangerous drugs. I did know many folks, sadly, that experimented with the many dangerous drugs that are out there. Sadly some are no longer on this earth. They were NOT pot smokers. The whole notion that pot smoking leads to this dangerous side is just plain gibberish. I think "Experimenters" are doing it just for the ability to be anti establishment, and would try the dangerous ones no matter what. The plain truth is we as a nation cannot afford to keep stocking our prisons and jails with convicted Pot Smokers.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

The biggest issue with using marijuana is eating too much and getting a "pot belly"
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
I was raised ultra conservative. I didn't think of trying this till in the late 20's. Even in Vietnam I wouldn't think of using this. Later I did try it and realized it was just hype, for whatever reason. Never once did I, or any of my friends EVER wish to experiment with more proven, dangerous drugs. I did know many folks, sadly, that experimented with the many dangerous drugs that are out there. Sadly some are no longer on this earth. They were NOT pot smokers. The whole notion that pot smoking leads to this dangerous side is just plain gibberish. I think "Experimenters" are doing it just for the ability to be anti establishment, and would try the dangerous ones no matter what. The plain truth is we as a nation cannot afford to keep stocking our prisons and jails with convicted Pot Smokers.
Every point in this post is spot on accurate. You have done proper research.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Obviously, you are a lot older. I thought that movie was from the mid-1930 era. Glad that even real old folks like you are able to participate in an online forum.
Boy Howdy!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
The whole notion that pot smoking leads to this dangerous side is just plain gibberish. I think "Experimenters" are doing it just for the ability to be anti establishment, and would try the dangerous ones no matter what. The plain truth is we as a nation cannot afford to keep stocking our prisons and jails with convicted Pot Smokers.
Pot smoking is happening. Drug kings are profiting. Pot is being sold to children and teenagers. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away. Prohibition didn't work. Ignoring pot smoking and arresting users isn't working either. Why not regulate marijuana, hopefully making it less available to children and teens. The US Government can use the profits to fund the health-care system.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

J Sch Health. 2012 Aug;82(8):371-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1561.2012.00712.x.

Alcohol as a gateway drug: a study of US 12th graders.

Kirby T, Barry AE.

Source

Organizational Development, Franciscan St. Elizabeth Health, 1501 Hartford Street - Room G137, Lafayette, IN 47904, USA. tristan.kirby@franciscanalliance.org

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The Gateway Drug Theory suggests that licit drugs, such as tobacco and alcohol, serve as a "gateway" toward the use of other, illicit drugs. However, there remains some discrepancy regarding which drug-alcohol, tobacco, or even marijuana-serves as the initial "gateway" drug subsequently leading to the use of illicit drugs such as cocaine and heroin. The purpose of this investigation was to determine which drug (alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana) was the actual "gateway" drug leading to additional substance use among a nationally representative sample of high school seniors.

METHODS:

This investigation conducted a secondary analysis of the 2008 Monitoring the Future 12th-grade data. Initiation into alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use was analyzed using a Guttman scale. Coefficients of reliability and scalability were calculated to evaluate scale fit. Subsequent cross tabulations and chi-square test for independence were conducted to better understand the relationship between the identified gateway drug and other substances' use.

RESULTS:

Results from the Guttman scale indicated that alcohol represented the "gateway" drug, leading to the use of tobacco, marijuana, and other illicit substances. Moreover, students who used alcohol exhibited a significantly greater likelihood of using both licit and illicit drugs.

CONCLUSION:

The findings from this investigation support that alcohol should receive primary attention in school-based substance abuse prevention programming, as the use of other substances could be impacted by delaying or preventing alcohol use. Therefore, it seems prudent for school and public health officials to focus prevention efforts, policies, and monies, on addressing adolescent alcohol use.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Gold member

Pot is sold to kids and teenagers, but lots and lots being sold to adults. I am talking older generation,60 and 70 year olds. There have been a few nights at the squares,with the wind blowing the right direction, the smell of some pot drifted in the air.Think the covered area with the picnic tables always has been a good spot.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Pot is sold to kids and teenagers, but lots and lots being sold to adults. I am talking older generation,60 and 70 year olds. There have been a few nights at the squares,with the wind blowing the right direction, the smell of some pot drifted in the air.Think the covered area with the picnic tables always has been a good spot.

Wow, I didn't know that. I may have to go there now..lol
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that. I may have to go there now..lol
Another TOTV meeting place!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.