The Mature generation and Baby Boomers

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The article and for that matter the idea of labeling "generation" borders absurdity. First what wizzard got to tie a generation to a historical event ? If it were I - I would pick a positive one not a negative one like war. Second take the mature / silent generation 1927 - 1945 - does that mean if you were born in 1946 you value system is totally different ? I don't buy into the "generation thing". I feel it is a constant continuum adapting to the times. I remember my Dad born 1924 bucking his "generation " when teaching me to question whatever I have been told to make sure it passes a test of reasonableness. Not to be a radical but don't except blind faith (ah another subject). I could watch him change with the times as he raised me. A must was we be at the dinner table at 6 PM - no excuses. We will converse. One night we would have a conversation about you are young and should take risks (within the reasonableness clause). What do you have to lose ? The other 6 nights we got the save for a rainy day speech. I remember the depression" That was enough to make us pee our pants. That limited the risks in our mind to the nickle slots. So which "generation did my Dad belong to?

Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)
Amen!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)
Dead on!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is NEVER kind to exclude someone because of age. It is not pleasant to be dismissed summarily because of age.

There is no way any of us can avoid getting older, unless we die.

And none of us can get any younger.

I think most of us can read the unspoken attitude of most posters.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage

\\\

Last edited by Schaumburger; 04-30-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
There are several people from TOTV I would like to live next door to if I ever move to TV. You are one of them.
Ditto!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 AM

I think what has changed in the past several decades has been the cultural change from all about US to all about ME. This has been aided by the advancement in technology which allows people the ability to spend hours focusing on the their own narcissistic interests without distraction from the world and people around them. Smart Phone?!!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage

I wish my name was Peter the Hermit. It's a fun name.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I wish my name was Peter the Hermit. It's a fun name.
Nah, Alexander the Great is a fun name.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
I think what has changed in the past several decades has been the cultural change from all about US to all about ME. This has been aided by the advancement in technology which allows people the ability to spend hours focusing on the their own narcissistic interests without distraction from the world and people around them. Smart Phone?!!
WE......POSTERS are the only thing that has changed. We got older.

I add this link from BBC in Oct discussing this issue where we generalize so much, ESPECIALLY in the USA.

BBC - Capital - What everyone gets wrong about 'millennial snowflakes'

Did you realize that children living with their parents peaked in the 1940's, and is NOT a phenom of the current age ?

The author ends this with this.....

"So basically, millennials are the same as other generations were at their age. Only a little different. More global, maybe. More diverse. More progressive. Definitely poorer. But a unique group of monsters, the entitled wrath of which the world has ever seen before? I’m not so sure."

This is not a serious study but simple an observation that I agree with. To make ourselves feel good, we tend to make any other generation the bad guys, the worst ever.

Changes happen and we are quick to judge, but somehow we always are the best ever and the young folks are the worst. THAT does not seem to change ever.

Personally, I think it would be great if we stopped judging based on the dumbest things and started listening to each other, helping each other, and learning from each other
Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Nah, Alexander the Great is a fun name.
I don't know. It doesn't make sense. Hermits keep to themselves. That's the whole idea of being hermit. So how can you quote a hermit? Peter can't have it both ways. He's more like Peter the Blabbermouth.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:37 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I don't know. It doesn't make sense. Hermits keep to themselves. That's the whole idea of being hermit. So how can you quote a hermit? Peter can't have it both ways. He's more like Peter the Blabbermouth.
But a very wise blabbermouth...
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Honor thy father and mother so that thou days may be long upon the land thou Lord thy God has given you.

Every Bible-believing mom and dad has either quoted or paraphrased this verse. Usually, we do it when we’re almost ready to sell the children to a group of traveling gypsies.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-30-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Just an observation - I don't see nearly as much negativity in the linked article as I do in these posts. The author appears to be making generalizations, yes, but that is all they are. It appears she is merely pointing out certain facts/assertions about each era and how they may have impacted individuals growing up in that era.

I tend to believe as some have mentioned in this thread that what makes a person is a combination of many things, including what the author alludes to PLUS how you were raised and even where you were raised. And then throw in one's own individual personality just to put even more of a twist on it.

When I see generalizations like this, I don't immediately go to the thought of judgment of others, but to one of understanding. I use it as a means to understand people of different generations, knowing that it is not a one size fits all and that we are all unique individuals. As a result, I saw it as a helpful guideline to understanding some of the differences in the eras in which we were raised and how that might affect one's thoughts and behavior.

Personally, I love people of all ages and generations. Having close friends of all ages is a big part of what makes my own life more fulfilling.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage

Folks need to keep in mind, that the 'pure opinion' piece in the OP link was written by a marketing person...and their opinion on how to market to certain age groups.

It's not like it has anything to do with...actual facts, peer-reviewed-studies or real science of any kind.
Closed Thread

Tags
boomers, born, baby, people, pleasure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.