Medicare weighs premium cut

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2022, 06:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,867 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Medicare weighs premium cut after limiting Alzheimer's drug.

Medicare weighs premium cut after limiting Alzheimer's drug
Read articles about this Alzheimer’s drug. Alzheimer’s is a heartbreaking disease, but this expensive drug seems to be only slightly effective, possibly for a limited period, on only a small percentage of sufferers early in the disease’s progress. Many doctors don’t think the FDA should have approved it. I wouldn’t use it.

I remember back around twelve years ago the FDA approved an expensive drug to increase women’s sexual desire. (It’s a serious problem.) I was at the yearly conference of AASECT (the American Society of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Teachers), where I was presenting a paper. There was a session for the entire group (a couple thousand people) to debate use of this drug, and we recommended against it, as testing showed that like the Alzheimer’s drug, it worked maybe a little for a few people and was very expensive. We would have strongly supported a drug that worked well.

We all want a cure for Alzheimer’s, but let’s not let our anguish over the disease lead us to insist on a medication that doesn’t work while leaving taxpayers with the exorbitant cost. Even if we only pay a small part of the cost, We the People are all paying. Let’s hold out for a treatment that works.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

In January, the company that makes Aduhelm reduced the cost from $56,000 per year to $28,000 per year. That's Iike a BOGO sale. What a deal!
Old 05-13-2022, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

They cut Dad's SS this year. Said it was the rise of the rise in cost for medicare and secondary insurance.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:02 PM
Default Medicare Part B Part D premium cut

Not sure if I’m a fan of reducing premiums across the IRMMA spectrum to offset the out of pocket costs for a medication used by the minority.

At an annual drug cost of $28,000, even reducing the lowest monthly MediCare Part B/D premium of $170.10 to $0 would still make the medication unaffordable for most in need.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:07 PM
Default Monthly MediCare Premium Reductions

I’m a fan of reducing MediCare Part B&D premiums because everyone who has ever earned a paycheck paid a portion into funding MediCare. Whether it was an actuarial flaw or inappropriate transfers/disbursements the truth should be revealed.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Read articles about this Alzheimer’s drug. Alzheimer’s is a heartbreaking disease, but this expensive drug seems to be only slightly effective, possibly for a limited period, on only a small percentage of sufferers early in the disease’s progress. Many doctors don’t think the FDA should have approved it. I wouldn’t use it.

I remember back around twelve years ago the FDA approved an expensive drug to increase women’s sexual desire. (It’s a serious problem.) I was at the yearly conference of AASECT (the American Society of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Teachers), where I was presenting a paper. There was a session for the entire group (a couple thousand people) to debate use of this drug, and we recommended against it, as testing showed that like the Alzheimer’s drug, it worked maybe a little for a few people and was very expensive. We would have strongly supported a drug that worked well.

We all want a cure for Alzheimer’s, but let’s not let our anguish over the disease lead us to insist on a medication that doesn’t work while leaving taxpayers with the exorbitant cost. Even if we only pay a small part of the cost, We the People are all paying. Let’s hold out for a treatment that works.
This is correct. Aduhelm is for a small subset of those with Alzheimer's, and those who take it need to be wary of brain bleeds. Not anything I would take.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
They cut Dad's SS this year. Said it was the rise of the rise in cost for medicare and secondary insurance.

IRMAA comes back to bite you two years after the income threshold for the higher premiums is crossed.

If you don’t know about it, it can be a nasty surprise.

If income is rising because the RMD is rising, a QCD can help if the math works and the taxpayer would rather give part of the RMD to charity. For those who usually give to charity anyway, it can make sense to use the QCD, making sure to follow the instructions exactly.

Someone in this thread or the other one about SS has linked the IRMAA info from the SS site.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-14-2022 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, weighs, premium, cut, limiting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.