The Migration has Begun

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Yes best place to be is here when then snow flies up north - have not found better. Many a place is better than here in the summer. Thus a migration. Fact is this is number 2 not 1 if it wasn't for that nasty white stuff. There seems to be a heavy coloration to this being number 1 and folks that can't afford two homes. Just an observation.
Well, I think there's more than just that. In our case, having two homes turned out to be a PITA. The three-day drive to and from Michigan, the fact that we had no house sitters to look after the MI house, the fact that there's a short window of good weather in MI (thus a lot of time on the road for about three to maybe four months of decent weather). Finances did not really enter into the decision to make this our full-time home. Weather and driving did. Although I will admit that we have no grandchildren, and now no more children in Michigan. So the decision became easier.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Went to Atlanta over the weekend and saw well over a hundred Canadian plates heading north on 75.

you tube goodbye fairwell auf weidersehn adieu - Bing video
Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,314 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Well, I think there's more than just that. In our case, having two homes turned out to be a PITA. The three-day drive to and from Michigan, the fact that we had no house sitters to look after the MI house, the fact that there's a short window of good weather in MI (thus a lot of time on the road for about three to maybe four months of decent weather). Finances did not really enter into the decision to make this our full-time home. Weather and driving did. Although I will admit that we have no grandchildren, and now no more children in Michigan. So the decision became easier.
Yes I too understand the PITA part. However I am not from Michigan but have been there and it's natural beauty is breathtaking and by far out ways Florida's natural beauty. Yes I'm thankful for the manmade landscaping we have here but it wouldn't take long for it to look like scrub grass if not maintained. Your Michigan retains it's beauty 24/7/365 without intervention. I will be somewhere else than here when the snow is not flying as long as I am able health and financial wise. I have been here 7 years and you are not going to convince me to stay here in the summer - tried that did not like it.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes I too understand the PITA part. However I am not from Michigan but have been there and it's natural beauty is breathtaking and by far out ways Florida's natural beauty. Yes I'm thankful for the manmade landscaping we have here but it wouldn't take long for it to look like scrub grass if not maintained. Your Michigan retains it's beauty 24/7/365 without intervention. I will be somewhere else than here when the snow is not flying as long as I am able health and financial wise. I have been here 7 years and you are not going to convince me to stay here in the summer - tried that did not like it.
And I agree with most of what you say. It was a very hard decision. I'm not a Michigan native (37 years in Pittsburgh, my favorite place in the world), but Michigan is the most beautiful place we've ever lived. And yes, I miss it. And I miss Pittsburgh. And what to do...
Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes best place to be is here when then snow flies up north - have not found better. Many a place is better than here in the summer. Thus a migration. Fact is this is number 2 not 1 if it wasn't for that nasty white stuff. There seems to be a heavy coloration to this being number 1 and folks that can't afford two homes. Just an observation.
I'd suggest many can afford more than one home, including several homes, bur prefer TV as a permanent base of operations for other venues, such as long cruises or other desirable locations, but expensive trips. Just saying - on behalf of many of our friends.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'd suggest many can afford more than one home, including several homes, bur prefer TV as a permanent base of operations for other venues, such as long cruises or other desirable locations, but expensive trips. Just saying - on behalf of many of our friends.
That was a consideration for us. It cost a set amount of $ per month to keep our place in MI. We opted to put that into travel instead.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
The important thing is that you be where you like. My wife and I have lived in many locations, but learned early on that you will enjoy any location if you wish to. We grew up in the Boston area - loved it. Moved to Nashville twice - loved it both times. Lived in Atlanta - loved it, but did not like the traffic. You get it. If you want to enjoy a location, you will. If you don't, you won't. I'm happy you are happy avoiding the snow and whatever it is else you avoid.

Me, I'm just tickled pink to be in TV.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That was a consideration for us. It cost a set amount of $ per month to keep our place in MI. We opted to put that into travel instead.
Hot damn, CF. I think I just confirmed what you said.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,350 Posts

If you are traveling be safe. Drive up from Tampa last April took us 4 hours. Yuck

Tags
hundred, canadian, plates, north, heading, begun, migration, weekend, atlanta

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.