Vehicle title for registration

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Default Vehicle title for registration

How do u provide the title required to register ur car in Florida when u have a lien holder? Is there something else that will be accepted instead?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
How do u provide the title required to register ur car in Florida when u have a lien holder? Is there something else that will be accepted instead?
The following address will have answers for you: Florida DHSMV - New Residents

It's a bit confusing even for me as a retired supervising dmv rep. from NY, so I'll assist and briefly tell you what it states in direct relationship to your question.

If you have your title with the lien showing, bring it (and your lien clearance if your vehicle happens to be paid off) with your other required documents when you go to the local DMV. The lien will be transfered to your FL title and you'll have a choice of paper or paperless title. We chose paperless so we didn't have to worry about losing the document or misplacing it when the time comes to transfer ownership.

If your lien holder is holding your title, the instructions on the web page state that they will assist you in contacting the lienholder. You'll have to ask them if you have any question on how that works.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM

The DMV will send a request for it from your lien holder. They will of course will add a charge to your vehicle registration for doing so as well Unless you own your vehicle and hold your title this is the only thing you can do. Will warn you they said depending on your lein holder it could take a month to get it back. We called ours and pushed for expediate and paid for overnight since we had a severe time crunch on getting the registrations done. So we got our lien holder to pull them and get them to the dmv in just a few days, but it all depends on your lien holder. The DMV will issue you a temporary title and send your original title back to the lien holder changing the state of lien.

This state is a headache
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Gold member

It only took a day for us to get ours faxed to DMV.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikitv View Post
It only took a day for us to get ours faxed to DMV.
Maybe its different with different states? They had to have ours and got the originals, transferred the lien to this state, and returned both to the lien holder. Definately was a pain in the rear end ! Never have we had this much hassle switching registration and we've moved many times over my lifetime. Even after my father retired from the army. We're done at least!! I know our neighbor actually went ahead and paid off there vehicle so they would get the title. Probably were planning to do it at some point here anyway.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Where is MVD located at? I have read that it is on 466A but where on 466A?
Thanks, Al
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The line holder probably has done this before so you might start with then and ask what you should do.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Where is MVD located at? I have read that it is on 466A but where on 466A?
Thanks, Al
The following link will show you the DMV Building on Google Maps. If you zoom out you can see the location with the blue like that shows the location relative to Morse Blvd. near Colony Plaza.

DMV Office Wildwood, FL 34785 - Google Maps
Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 PM

We went on 441 across from Walmart. It is a relatively new location and not very crowded. It sits in the shopping center behind McDonalds and says Tax Collector. It is at the left end of the center. We got our tags and licenses. Be prepared! It was around $600!! Ridiculous. Call them first o make sure you have all that you need. We were back 3 times!
The numbeer is 352-368-8200. The address is Marion County Tax Collector. The Villages Branch, 17860 SE 109th Ave, Suite 602, Summerfiled, FL 34491. This would have told me nothing:-) but it is behind McDonalds and across from Walmart. Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogalover View Post
We went on 441 across from Walmart. It is a relatively new location and not very crowded. It sits in the shopping center behind McDonalds and says Tax Collector. It is at the left end of the center. We got our tags and licenses. Be prepared! It was around $600!! Ridiculous. Call them first o make sure you have all that you need. We were back 3 times!
The numbeer is 352-368-8200. The address is Marion County Tax Collector. The Villages Branch, 17860 SE 109th Ave, Suite 602, Summerfiled, FL 34491. This would have told me nothing:-) but it is behind McDonalds and across from Walmart. Hope this helps.
You must have had only one vehicle. We paid over $1000 for two licenses and two registration/title transactions. I'm over saying ouch now!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Gold member

Just curious, how often do you have to renew at that ridiculous rate (tax)?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Just curious, how often do you have to renew at that ridiculous rate (tax)?
The answer is that you do not have to renew at that ridiculous rate. There is a one time initial registration charge of $225 per vehicle when you first register you vehicle(s).

Florida DHSMV
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM

the DMV on Rte466 just west of Morse is the best place to do registrations, very short lines
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Gold member

OK, so $225 is a one time charge, but taking the $225 away from the $600 the poster said he paid, still tells me the next registration will be nearly $400. That's a ridiculous amount as well - NY is no slouch when it comes to taxes, and my most recent registration was around $80. How often do you have to register in Florida?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
OK, so $225 is a one time charge, but taking the $225 away from the $600 the poster said he paid, still tells me the next registration will be nearly $400. That's a ridiculous amount as well - NY is no slouch when it comes to taxes, and my most recent registration was around $80. How often do you have to register in Florida?
Registration fees in FL are quite complex and I was only indicating $225 because it is a substantial amount, however that didn't mean that there are other one time charges or regulations affecting original and renewal registrations separately. Now here is a link that will give you a sample of a FL registration renewal that will give you a breakdown of the various fees inclusive within the renewal fee:

DHSMV: Sample Registration Fee Calculations
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.