Morbid but practical

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
It is what it is. I am doing nothing.
I get that everyone has the choice to leave their estate to whoever they choose, relative or not. I have no children, only ‘not so close relatives.’ I absolutely will not be contributing my hard earned money to the medical professionals to keep me alive when my quality of life is gone. Believe me, it is a gift to the caregivers to not have to change my diapers, and put medicine on my bedsores that won’t heal, and having to listen to my constant complaining bc I can’t get comfortable.
#goingoutwithdignity
Old 04-10-2020, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

My plan is to "Pull a Thelma & Louise"....not interested in running the risk of a prolonged stay in a nursing home, plus I've never seen the Grand Canyon from the bottom looking up

It'll be a brand spanking new red convertible rented from Hertz....finally the shoe will be on the other foot when dealing with Hertz and I won't have to pay extra for 'dropping the car off at a different location'
Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
When you make an "Advance Directive" IF you are smart enough to supply EVERYONE that would be in the position to contend the decision, as long as you were of sound mind, it could NOT be contested. We have ensured EACH of our children were given a copy of our advance directive at the exact same time stating this was OUR decision to make, not theirs.
See it all the time everyone in agreement, then when something happens, it can fall apart. For one parent the directive was in place, however spouse and other children went ballistic, even though all were in agreement with each having a copy. Trying to pull the plug, even with medical experience became difficult, when your parent, and siblings want to kill you instead.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:32 AM
Platinum member

I don’t want to veer off topic but this is related. I’ve read several stats wrt survivability after being placed on a ventilator.

Does anyone know for certain? One said 50% of those placed on a ventilator die and of those who survive 20% suffer brain damage or other serious complications.

I’ve just about decided to specifically add “no ventilator” to my advanced directive. If the odds are better than above, I’ll reconsider.

Please don’t provide a guess. I’m looking for real numbers/experiences.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Default MY wife (in her 60’s) was on a ventilator for a full week and had no side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I don’t want to veer off topic but this is related. I’ve read several stats wrt survivability after being placed on a ventilator.

Does anyone know for certain? One said 50% of those placed on a ventilator die and of those who survive 20% suffer brain damage or other serious complications.

I’ve just about decided to specifically add “no ventilator” to my advanced directive. If the odds are better than above, I’ll reconsider.

MY wife (in her 60’s) was on a ventilator for a full week and had no side effects other than sore throat that required soft foods for a couple of weeks. It can save your life so unless you have other serious health issues, I would not be afraid to use it.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post

I have been on a vent twice, once at age 19 for 9 days, have no memory of vent or if any family was there.

Then in my 40s after coding twice ( that is an experience in its self) again no memory of intubation, nor the vent time.

Both times had no issues from vent, although an emergency intubation Is difficult, and had a sore throat ,it was more about trying to keep me alive.

There is no cut and dry about placing on a vent.
Sometimes people are put on a vent because of family, shouldn’t have been but there anyway. Those are the numbers that should not be in the mix
Old 04-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Only works when you are alert and awake, in this particular case, that will not be where you are.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:33 AM

The medical community will tell you there are no statistical outcomes that are 100% accurate. The reason you go on a vent(diagnosis), your age, your overall health and the prognosis of the disease are factors for consideration. If you are 70, in good health and get this virus you might want to prolong your life, but if you were 70, ravaged with cancer in all organs and then get the virus your decision might be different. There is no black and white answer to the problem.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Many directives specify the conditions for life pro longing intervention. More than one doctor, chance/probability of survival, etc.

When one reads the conditions that dictate no intervention it is pretty much a common sense (no less difficult) decision.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 AM

I agree with you. I happen to love my husband and my son and would not want to force them to make choices that might cause them pain and guilt. Directives done and discussed with them. Primary care physician and other doctors have a copy already. So I know I will be taken care of as I wish.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW
Default Make wishes clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Make sure your advance health directives are up to date, including your wishes about being placed on a respirator.
I just found out in my last hospitalization that it isn’t enough to just make your wishes clear —I had to get a DO NOT RESUSCITATE order by my doctor and have it uploaded to my hospital records.

This particular situation is probably different but for future reference—
Old 04-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr
Red face

I have been a Florida Notary Public for 33 years. Sad, but I meet many seniors in TV who do not have advance directives. I have also seen the ramifications of same, and there are many. In my opinion, it is only wise of all seniors, to have either a
(1) Last Will & Testament or a Trust, a
(2) Durable Power of Attorney with Health Care Surrogate & Gardianship, and a
(3) Living Will.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:17 PM

An end of life directive makes for a smooth and easy transition for your survivors and may prevent the breakup of families. Why would anyone want to create havoc to their family at a time of sorrow? Axe to grind??? Or just plain Evil??? Rethink a DNR, think of your loved ones, NOT YOURSELF!
Old 04-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,333 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
It is what it is. I am doing nothing.
Strong person....never knew anyone that was ok with pain and suffering at end of life.....now I do.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Ok you have made your point !
Closed Thread

Tags
morbid, date, wishes, including, directives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.