More Xfinity deception

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default More Xfinity deception

My monthly bill for 50Mbps internet has just gone from $20 to $49.

Occasionally I have success in negotiating it back down, but this time I decided to check what "offers" they have.

For $1 per month extra I can get 100Mbps, which sounds like a good deal until I tried to lock it in. In actuality, I would have to sign up for $60 per month, then change from payment by credit card to bank account, and the rate would rocket after 12 months, none of which was highlighted in the original offer.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

brings back memories of the lyrics to that old "Captain and Tennille" song....

"My momma told me, you better shop around"
Old 01-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

Occasionally I have success in negotiating it back down, but this time I decided to check what "offers" they have.

For $1 per month extra I can get 100Mbps, which sounds like a good deal until I tried to lock it in. In actuality, I would have to sign up for $60 per month, then change from payment by credit card to bank account, and the rate would rocket after 12 months, none of which was highlighted in the original offer.
Bait and switch? Better Business Bureau, one more complaint on the way.
What ever happened to "Truth in Advertising"???
😑
Old 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Every rate they have seems to be good for one or two years. Between up north and Florida I think I send them about $500 a month.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

They raised us by about $ 20 in Jan at the end of our "two year contract". This was the second increase and when I questioned it got 5 minutes of gobblygook that made no sense to me.

When I asked about changing rate before we left the girl pretty much said bye. When I asked if this is dept to help keep customers before they left she said yes it was.

Just like our internet/cable provider in Va they have the policy of talking nonsense so customer knows less than they did before after the phone call.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Xfinity's pricing scheme operates on a one-year or two-year contract agreement. These agreements always include monthly discounts. But, when the agreement period ends, the discounts are automatically removed from the bill. So, it is important to know when your agreement expires, and to set up a new agreement before the old agreement expires. You should do it in person, not on the phone. I recently went to the Xfinity store and started a new two-year agreement, my monthly cost actually went down, and I increased my internet speed from 400 mbps to 600 mbps. One reason that Xfinity has a bad reputation is that many customers forget that they have a contract. So, when the discounts are removed, they think that Xfinity arbitrarily raised their price.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:08 PM

This is nothing new and it's not deceptive. Insurance companies do it all the time and call it an introductory rate. They sign you cheap and then slam with the real rate in 6 months or a year. Buyer beware....
Old 01-17-2022, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
This is nothing new and it's not deceptive. Insurance companies do it all the time and call it an introductory rate. They sign you cheap and then slam with the real rate in 6 months or a year. Buyer beware....
I agree that taking away the introductory period is not deceptive - I was fully prepared for that - but offering me a deal on line then adding costs and restrictions as I make my way through the application process most certainly is.

I got my previous $49 rate cut to $20 by going into the store (Rolling Acres) and asking about adding a phone, so I'll try that again once the snow has thawed.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:

You're lucky that you were only paying $20. I've been paying $50 since we moved in. They also doubled our speed from 50mbp to 100mbp at no "extra" charge. We're locked in til May, and then I call them and threaten to cancel unless they give us whatever "deal" for new customers charges the same $50 as the last deal did.

That's what I do every year. At the end of the year, ALWAYS call them. That's how the deal works.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You're lucky that you were only paying $20. I've been paying $50 since we moved in. They also doubled our speed from 50mbp to 100mbp at no "extra" charge. We're locked in til May, and then I call them and threaten to cancel unless they give us whatever "deal" for new customers charges the same $50 as the last deal did.

That's what I do every year. At the end of the year, ALWAYS call them. That's how the deal works.
I did and they basically told me to pound salt.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:

I've never regretted cutting the cable and streaming YouTube TV ($65 per month, and no contract) and internet of your choice (love CentryLink at $45 for life).
Old 01-18-2022, 05:46 AM

Or you could sign up for Centurylink $45/mo internet access for life and be done with it. Cutting the cable is the only way to go forward folks.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Or you could sign up for Centurylink $45/mo internet access for life and be done with it. Cutting the cable is the only way to go forward folks.
It's on my bucket list to cut the cord this year. Any recommendations on someone who could walk these not techy minded people through the process? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:07 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

contact me
Old 01-18-2022, 06:07 AM

Yep.. Just did it to me up North. The Rep didn't want to negotiate this time. I called four different times, and the last time I got a very nice lady and my price actually went down quite a bit.
I honestly think it's who you talk to. So if you can't get the rate with the person you're on the phone with, hang up and call again. I hate playing these games but sometimes you have to do it.
A very time consuming and aggravating game they make you play. They don't even let you change your plan online they make you call. Then they spout rates off on the phone and you have no idea what you're getting. 🙄
Closed Thread

Tags
month, $60, sign, payment, actuality

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.