CyberAttack underway against the US

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2022, 07:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts
Default CyberAttack underway against the US

Alert from the Government CISA:

The Department of Energy (DOE), the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the National Security Agency (NSA), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are releasing this joint Cybersecurity Advisory (CSA) to warn that certain advanced persistent threat (APT) actors have exhibited the capability to gain full system access to multiple industrial control system (ICS)/supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) devices, including:

Schneider Electric programmable logic controllers (PLCs),
OMRON Sysmac NEX PLCs, and
Open Platform Communications Unified Architecture (OPC UA) servers

Here is the entire alert: It has not yet been determined WHO is responsible for this, but the "general assumption" is it is Russia. If this in fact is happening, it is an act of war against the US.

APT Cyber Tools Targeting ICS/SCADA Devices | CISA
Old 04-15-2022, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Oh well. And life keeps on trucking. No one is going to anything about it, either way.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Just let me know the day when there's NOT and attempted cyber attack...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-15-2022, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Just let me know the day when there's NOT and attempted cyber attack...
April 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 14th. - so far this month. Sorry couldn't resist, since you love to hold me to account for "exaggerations".

If you read this alert, and all the others at CISA.gov, you will see this is particularly worrisome in the current world situation since it has been tested on a number of companies and they have reason to believe that others are being targeted.

The real significance is that if we end up at war with Russia, they have been running trails of their cyber warfare groups - attacking companies around the world, including the US. We are late to the game, but are ramping up our defense - part of CISA.

This was particularly interesting to me, since when I was working for APS (power company in AZ) I was a project manger in charge of the project to install redundant communications and controls for the companies sub-stations, which was mandated by Congress for all power companies following 9/11. We finished that project on time, but that was just one small part of the weakness. I know first hand how poorly prepared our power grid is to deal with a cyber attack.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
April 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 14th. - so far this month. Sorry couldn't resist, since you love to hold me to account for "exaggerations".

If you read this alert, and all the others at CISA.gov, you will see this is particularly worrisome in the current world situation since it has been tested on a number of companies and they have reason to believe that others are being targeted.

The real significance is that if we end up at war with Russia, they have been running trails of their cyber warfare groups - attacking companies around the world, including the US. We are late to the game, but are ramping up our defense - part of CISA.

This was particularly interesting to me, since when I was working for APS (power company in AZ) I was a project manger in charge of the project to install redundant communications and controls for the companies sub-stations, which was mandated by Congress for all power companies following 9/11. We finished that project on time, but that was just one small part of the weakness. I know first hand how poorly prepared our power grid is to deal with a cyber attack.
It's sad that you actually think that's true...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-15-2022, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

the Chinese and Russians have been trying to hack into anything and everything in the USA every day for quite a while....

they don't really produce anything else...it's what they do
Old 04-15-2022, 07:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
It's sad that you actually think that's true...
Think what is true? I covered several things, you think NONE of what I said is true?
Old 04-15-2022, 07:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
the Chinese and Russians have been trying to hack into anything and everything in the USA every day for quite a while....

they don't really produce anything else...it's what they do
Exactly true, for decades literally. But, again if you read this alert, this is a new attack using new code that we are not yet prepared to deal with.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:33 AM

Quote:

There are the people who understand a threat when there is one, and then there are the people who are oblivious, and like it that way. I think it is meritorious of you to try to do a public service announcement to give heads up to the people who give credence to the threat but who had not been aware of it.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:22 AM

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Think what is true? I covered several things, you think NONE of what I said is true?
That no one tried to hack anything on those specific days...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-16-2022, 06:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Exactly true, for decades literally. But, again if you read this alert, this is a new attack using new code that we are not yet prepared to deal with.
Except on the following days, right? "April 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 14th. - so far this month. "

-Tom Petty
Old 04-16-2022, 06:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageuser View Post
there are the people who understand a threat when there is one, and then there are the people who are oblivious, and like it that way. I think it is meritorious of you to try to do a public service announcement to give heads up to the people who give credence to the threat but who had not been aware of it.
paul revere would agree
Old 04-16-2022, 07:07 AM

Good news. The United States has comparable offensive and defensive cyber capabilities.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Chromebooks can't get a virus and update automatically.
I also converted a 10 Y/O Dell laptop to Linux Mint and I don't worry about getting hacked.
Closed Thread

Tags
control, cybersecurity, system, agency, security

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.