Moving Back to Ohio, need advice.

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonn View Post
In a nutshell.
We looked at many ares outside of TV. My wife misses the layout of the home we had in Ohio. The homes here in Florida have an open concept and it doesn't feel as homey as the the homes up North. We also miss the seasons and familiarity.
The homes near the beaches are not laid out to our liking and the insurance is expensive, then there are the hurricanes.
We have to drive very far to do the things we like, shopping, Trader Joe's, etc.
So we have decided to move back to the area we have been familiar with for our entire lives, plus we don't golf.

TV is beautiful and is great for 98% of people, but we are in the 2%.
I will miss the friendly people and the beautiful weather in the wintertime.
I would like to give you the names of some folks that would be happier up north. If you have room, maybe they could hitch a ride with you. They might be willing to share the cost of a moving van. Win Win Win
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonn View Post
In a nutshell.
We looked at many ares outside of TV. My wife misses the layout of the home we had in Ohio. The homes here in Florida have an open concept and it doesn't feel as homey as the the homes up North. We also miss the seasons and familiarity.
The homes near the beaches are not laid out to our liking and the insurance is expensive, then there are the hurricanes.
We have to drive very far to do the things we like, shopping, Trader Joe's, etc.
So we have decided to move back to the area we have been familiar with for our entire lives, plus we don't golf.

TV is beautiful and is great for 98% of people, but we are in the 2%.
I will miss the friendly people and the beautiful weather in the wintertime.
Good morning and best wishes on your decision.

When I saw your post, I just had to stop in here and share a little something with you that I think you might like.

You could be too young to remember Doris Day. She was from Ohio, too. My place. Cincinnati.

As soon as I saw what you were saying, one of Doris Day's songs popped into my head. -- I have a bit of a quirk. I think in song lyrics sometimes. Most of the time the songs are really old. Songs I must have heard from my playpen. I don't know why I do this, but it is a quirk I long ago figured I might as well embrace. If only, if only "Name That Tune" were still on television. Oh well, I digress, another quirk........ so anyway........

Here is a link for you to Doris Day singing Why Oh Why Oh Why Oh Did I Ever Leave Ohio? -- I can pretty much guarantee that if you listen to this a couple of times, it will play sweetly in your head all day and you might even take a little twirl around the lanai with your wife as you think about your new plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIe_wgnGfI

Good luck to you and yours,
Still-Keeping-A-Foot-In-Each-State Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-08-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

In the title of your thread you said "need advise". I live in Ohio and my advise to you is don't move back. Especially Cleveland….insert any Cleveland joke you like here. On a serious note you really should consider the weather. The winters can be pretty terrible up there. The lake effect makes it just that much worse.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 PM

If you look at the westerly suburbs including North Ridgeville, Avon and Avon Lake you will find lots of new affordable construction. Pioneer Ridge by Del Webb is in N. Ridgeville. It's a seniors only community. The western suburbs have lots of new construction off of I90.
Downtown Cleveland is in a renaissance in preparation for the RNC. Many younger people are living downtown. Culturally Cleveland has numerous highly rated nationally recognized hospitals. The Art Museum and Symphony is world class.
I can also speak of eastern suburbs if you have an interest. Easterly Cleveland is also in the snow belt.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

I see you are from Amherst Ohio.I am from Amherst Ohio why do you want to move back to Amherst if in fact that is where you are planning to move to.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Ah Cleveland . The mistake on the lake.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
We've been through this before. How juvenile.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We've been through this before. How juvenile.

Ah come on CFrance. It is a long running Ohio joke. And a rivalry between the three C's.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Sage

I think it's rude and mean-spirited. Not to mention trite. And anyone who's been to Cleveland in the last fifteen years knows it's not even true.

Why blast someone else's hometown? You don't like it when people blast TV...
Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

Oh I beg to differ with you on Graciegirl taking offense to people teasing about TV. As I recall she got a hoot out of someone posting this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3HFdC5lxxg
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I have lived in five states, some of them at each end of the state, and many cities and I feel qualified to say that the suburbs in Cleveland are the nicest of any place I, we, have ever lived. We lived 34 years on the west side......the side that doesn't get as much snow. 27 of those years were spent in Bay Village and 6 of those years in Avon. When we moved to Cleveland I wondered why people joked about it being "the mistake on the lake" or has "a lake that's Erie" or a "river that burns". The river did burn but the other 2 were just a way to get laughs. We loved it and are not sorry that we lived there. There is nothing like a long warm fall on the shores of Lake Erie with flowers all the way to Thanksgiving. I know when someone calls it "the mistake on the lake" that they either have never been there or have only been there a day. I would go back if I could come here in January, Feb, March.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Sage

My friend lives in Cleveland, just across the river in a city neighborhood. They have so many parks, cafes, markets, etc., within walking distance, and lovely old trees and city sidewalks. It's lovely.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My friend lives in Cleveland, just across the river in a city neighborhood. They have so many parks, cafes, markets, etc., within walking distance, and lovely old trees and city sidewalks. It's lovely.

But you do understand, even with all that, that most people who live in Cleveland are savin' up so they can move to Cincinnati?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOye6V2rQvk
Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Sage

That's funny, I've never heard the term mistake on the lake. I lived in Dayton, Ohio for over 20 years. I also never knew there was a rivalry between Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland. I do know there is or used to be a club you can join here called the Three C's so those people must have buried the hatchet.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
That's funny, I've never heard the term mistake on the lake. I lived in Dayton, Ohio for over 20 years. I also never knew there was a rivalry between Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland. I do know there is or used to be a club you can join here called the Three C's so those people must have buried the hatchet.

It is a FRIENDLY rivalry because of course they are all from Ohio who rival Minnesota people for being NICE.

People from Cleveland are from the MOTHERLAND too.

Famous Ohio People

Tags
home, cleveland, find, ohio, sell, area, villages, buy, pay, money, furnished, apartment, don’t, cash, advance, aware, sells, options, term, rent, back, spring, equity, dilemma, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.