Need help on fighting insurance company

Old 03-22-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
Trip interruption coverage usually kicks in when something has happened after you left home. Your issue sounds more like trip cancellation coverage. I thought cancel for any reason, covered both pre and during trip issues, and you could cancel for any reason such as a bad hair day.

Read your policy looking for trip cancellation coverage and under what conditions you can cancel.
This is actually a great point for OP. Interruption differs from cancellation.

I suggest that you read the policy language carefully. If you bought a policy for events that clearly differ from what happened to you, then you have a weak case. But if your circumstances are in a gray area of the policy language where it is not clear, then you have a fighting chance. The policy language governs.

OP, did you get a credit from your airline when you cancelled your flight? For your hotel, did you get a refund after you cancelled your reservation? If yes, you are fighting for what you actually lost, which likely excludes refunds and credits received.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:52 AM

USAA is not going to help. The contract is between you and Travel Insured International. Another example of USAA outsourcing their products. I’m a USAA member and I’ve heard complaints about Travel Insured from other USAA members so I would not use them. Unfortunately that does not help you out. Continue to push the issue with TIA but I wouldn’t waste my time with USAA which by the way has gone downhill with all its products in the last ten years. Grown too big in my view but that’s another story.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:57 AM

Find out what State USAA is registered in as a business. File a complaint with the better business bureau in that state & with the dept. that regulates insurance in that state.
1st Send USAA a letter stating your intentions if they do not resolve your issue to your satisfaction.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmurray View Post
I purchased a travel insurance policy through USAA for a trip we planned to visit our son who was stationed in the UK. We paid extra for "Interruption for any reason". About two weeks before we prepared to leave his orders got changed (We are used to this, having several family members in the military). That is why I purchased the rider "...for any reason".
The insurance company (Travel Insured International/Crum & Foster) ran us around for weeks asking for more information. Then came back and denied the claim because my son did not have approved leave when we bought the policy 9 months earlier because the military does not allow for putting in for leave until 45 days prior. His leave was originally approved then cancelled.
USAA has run me around for months and I have yet to speak to anyone other than the call center reps or transferred to the insurance reps who brush me off. I cannot find anyone at USAA will to hear or help me. They are really dropping the ball for helping military families.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is a big loss on our part.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it appears you bought the wrong insurance. You bought "interruption insurance". That insurance only applies after you have departed. An example of this would be your flight departed but either was delayed or had to divert because of some unknown reason and because of this delay your hotel was no longer available or your cruise had already sailed. In this case you did not depart, therefore under that policy, the insurance will not cover your cost. You stated that your son had his leave canceled. There is nothing that actually prevented you from taking the trip, and I'm sure that's how the insurance company looked at it. Even with USAA trip cancellation insurance there are only 30 reasons that you can seek a refund and your son's military leave would not be a reimbursable expense under the coverage either.

Last edited by Vermilion Villager; 03-22-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
OP, this is a good suggestion.

Also, you might write a post on X (formerly known as Twitter) tagging USAA and the insurance company. If you do not already have an account on X, you can create one for free. If you need help with tagging on X, send me a PM.

You can do the same on other social media sites such as Facebook, but I suggest that you start with X.
I agree with this post. You dont need an intern from a Congressional field office to do what SM....X specifically can do. Companies like USAA and their SM staff scour these threads for negative commentary. Colleges, Universities, BioPharma etc use software that monitors for this type of activity. I can guarantee a well thought out post on X will yield positive results for you.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Maybe ask what specific clause in the cancellation policy they feel your claim should be denied under. It beats finding it in the policy yourself?
Worked in Auto and Property and Casualty Insurance entire business career and we had to put in writing why claim was denied. Not sure about this policy
Old 03-22-2024, 01:37 PM

Maybe this contact info will help:

Contact Us

Last edited by Jalane; 03-22-2024 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-22-2024, 03:49 PM

I agree with an earlier poster. Contact Congressman Webster. He's helped a lot of folks here in The Villages,
Old 03-23-2024, 02:31 PM

Yours is the only answer that applies here if it is in fact trip interruption cover

Tags
insurance, leave, usaa, military, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.