Neptune Society Opinions?

Old 01-24-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Anyone here who has had recent experience with the Neptune Society willing to share their views? I have a guy coming over tomorrow to talk about the Neptune Society and what they offer. My experience with them is pretty limited.
Yes. They will NEVER leave you alone.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Yes. They will NEVER leave you alone.
Interesting answer!

Can that be expanded on a bit?
Old 01-24-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, paying for burial or funeral services before you die makes no sense whatsoever. I know others will disagree. When a family member dies, it takes a 10 minute phone call to arrange a cremation. In many cases, it will take longer than that to find the prepaid contract.
I intend to do for my children what my parents did for me. State my preferences and do all the “tricky bits” in advance for them including identifying a local business I have met with and find reliable. But not prepaying. There is paperwork I need to do to clear the way for interment in the very very old family cemetery thaf can take some time. My mom did all that for her and my father in advance which made things with my parents very straightforward. The kids will all know where the notes and approvals are, and contact information. If they decide differently once I am gone, that will be fine with me - I can always come back and haunt them if necessary 😁.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, paying for burial or funeral services before you die makes no sense whatsoever. I know others will disagree. When a family member dies, it takes a 10 minute phone call to arrange a cremation. In many cases, it will take longer than that to find the prepaid contract.
We did it because it’s so hard to think when your loved one dies. Having it prearranged for my mother was such a blessing. Plus, you’re hedging inflation. The $ goes into a trust. If you don’t use it, change your mind, whatever, you get it back.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:16 AM

My in-laws bought a Neptune Society membership when they were living in Arizona. After a couple of years they moved back to Virginia and moved in with us. When they passed, Neptune Society said they didn't have any local offices in Virginia and we'd have to pay to ship their bodies back to Arizona to be cremated. Luckily both the owners of the local funeral home lived in our neighborhood and gave us a big discount once they heard what Neptune had done to us.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:26 AM

I'm alone and wanted everything taken care of so my children didn't have to do anything. Big point for me was if I was on a vacation or anywhere not local, they handle getting me back home.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:44 AM

I looked them up on BBB and they are rated A+
Old 01-24-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rose View Post
I looked them up on BBB and they are rated A+
Did you also notice that they have 66 complaints in the last 3 years and 24 complaints in the last 12 months? Did you read some of the complaints?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-24-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:22 PM

I moved here in 2001 and a few years later signed up with Neptune Society. They will pick up my body within 24hrs., even it out of the country. Shelley Winters used to go on the Johnny Carson show and talk about the deal she had with Neptune Society. That was the first time I heard about them. Every time she was on his show, she would comment about the price she paid and how much more it cost. She said if she lives long enough, it would be the best deal she ever made. Listen to what they have to say, but if they have been in business since I was a kid, they are pretty dependable.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:07 PM

My experience with Neptune Societyhas been very good. My husband and I have policy with National Cremation Society and when he passed away in July 2023, we were directed to Neptune in Louisville, KY. Very considerate people and service was above and beyond.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:52 PM

Very interesting responses. Always amazed at how many people have the answers to funeral/ cremation laws. I have been and currently still am a licensed funeral director for over 30+ years. It is unfortunate, but over the past few years most funeral homes require funds/payment before any services are done (cremation or earth burial). Often times families do not have funds immediately available to pay for funeral/cremation expenses and this could ultimately cause a delay in the funeral process. I do not know of any funeral home that wants to hold a deceased individual for any length of time waiting for families to secure the proper funds or agree on what services are best for the family. Making these decision on "emotions" is not the proper time. The best piece of advice is to have an idea of what your final request may be and express that with your family. Although they can still do as they wish once you are deceased (unless you have a Authorization for Final Disposition Instructions signed and notarized). A deceased person does not have "any" legal rights, your family speaks on your behalf. For those of you who think a Will is the best choice, remember those are typically read well after a death occurs. Many decision will need to be made before any Will is read or found for that matter. As an owner of two funeral homes, I am not a big promoter of "Pre-Funding" funerals which many of my colleagues would disagree with me on. Everyone has different financial situations, pre-funding does have its benefits but I feel that is a personal choice. However, I am an advocate for understanding what you may want and what those services will cost and how they will be paid for. Educate yourself, this is certainly a very uncomfortable topic to talk about with spouse, children and friends, but I do not know of anyone that will get out of this crazy world alive.... you do not go to the grocery store, hardware store, doctor, ect... without having to pay for services rendered, why are funeral homes any different?

It is so frustrating to hear people say, "it's just so difficult to talk about" or "I'll let me kids make the decision when I die". Then when that time does come, people are "shocked" at what it costs and what is all involved in the process. Educate yourself and your families it will be a "little easier" when that dreaded day does come. Don't listen to your neighbors, they could be the "uneducated know it all"!!

retiredguy123..... takes 10 minute phone call to arrange a cremation??? You are definitely the "Uneducated Individual"! Waste Management might be your best option.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:

If they’re still in business? I got snookered by whole life insurance policy 40 years go I don’t trust any door salesman now.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:06 PM

In 2020 I had to make cremation arrangements for a relative and researched several companies. The quote given by Baldwin Brothers was significantly less expensive than Neptune and all the others. They were very easy to work with and didn't push or try to up-sell you. I went to the office on Route 44 in Wildwood. When the time came, everything was handled with one phone call from the hospice/assisted living facility. I highly recommend Baldwin Brothers.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 01-24-2024, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstahl00 View Post
Very interesting responses. Always amazed at how many people have the answers to funeral/ cremation laws. I have been and currently still am a licensed funeral director for over 30+ years. It is unfortunate, but over the past few years most funeral homes require funds/payment before any services are done (cremation or earth burial). Often times families do not have funds immediately available to pay for funeral/cremation expenses and this could ultimately cause a delay in the funeral process. I do not know of any funeral home that wants to hold a deceased individual for any length of time waiting for families to secure the proper funds or agree on what services are best for the family. Making these decision on "emotions" is not the proper time. The best piece of advice is to have an idea of what your final request may be and express that with your family. Although they can still do as they wish once you are deceased (unless you have a Authorization for Final Disposition Instructions signed and notarized). A deceased person does not have "any" legal rights, your family speaks on your behalf. For those of you who think a Will is the best choice, remember those are typically read well after a death occurs. Many decision will need to be made before any Will is read or found for that matter. As an owner of two funeral homes, I am not a big promoter of "Pre-Funding" funerals which many of my colleagues would disagree with me on. Everyone has different financial situations, pre-funding does have its benefits but I feel that is a personal choice. However, I am an advocate for understanding what you may want and what those services will cost and how they will be paid for. Educate yourself, this is certainly a very uncomfortable topic to talk about with spouse, children and friends, but I do not know of anyone that will get out of this crazy world alive.... you do not go to the grocery store, hardware store, doctor, ect... without having to pay for services rendered, why are funeral homes any different?

It is so frustrating to hear people say, "it's just so difficult to talk about" or "I'll let me kids make the decision when I die". Then when that time does come, people are "shocked" at what it costs and what is all involved in the process. Educate yourself and your families it will be a "little easier" when that dreaded day does come. Don't listen to your neighbors, they could be the "uneducated know it all"!!

retiredguy123..... takes 10 minute phone call to arrange a cremation??? You are definitely the "Uneducated Individual"! Waste Management might be your best option.
Your last paragraph is totally untrue. I had a close friend die just before I moved to The Villages. I was her trustee and executor. I made one call to the funeral home, gave them my credit card number over the phone for the cremation, and that was the end of it. They took care of everything else. It actually took less than 10 minutes, and the cost was about $1,400, which was on their price list. There was no prepayment or prior arrangements.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-24-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

My parents had the Neptune society and it was great for me to have all the decisions done beforehand. My wife and I have Baldwin and are happy with it as we think it will make it easy for our kids. I think funeral home owners can use grief to sell big packages that are so unnecessary.

Tags
neptune, society, experience, offer, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.