Neptune Society Opinions?

Old 01-24-2024, 07:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

When my father died in his 90s during the 1990s in a small town in Washington State my brother and I went to the funeral home together. As I understood it the family owned funeral homes in the area had been gradually bought up by a large Canadian company and they had raised prices and upsold hard. Anyway, my father had told us he wanted to be cremated and to spend as little as possible because he wanted the assets of his modest estate which he worked so hard to accumulate to go to his grandchildren (bypassing my brother and me as we did not need any of it), not a funeral home. They tried to upsell us hard. I soon told them my father was thrifty and had directed us to pay as little as possible for cremation and internment in a communal urn where his wife's (our mother's) ashes were at their church. You should have seen the looks on the employees' faces as three were in the room and heard it all! Lol. But they complied. My father would have been proud of his sons at that moment.

My brother and I were there maybe 20 minutes.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-24-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, paying for burial or funeral services before you die makes no sense whatsoever. I know others will disagree. When a family member dies, it takes a 10 minute phone call to arrange a cremation. In many cases, it will take longer than that to find the prepaid contract.
I hear what you’re saying….but have you actually had experience making arrangements when a family member dies unexpectedly with no prior arrangements? Let’s just say it’s much more than a 10 minute phone call. If you take care of things for yourself it’s so much easier on your family/people. Since I have way too many experiences for one person, I’m saying please for those that have to make decisions, let alone financial decisions, take care of these things while you’re still enjoying your life ☺️
Old 01-24-2024, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Flyfisher View Post
I hear what you’re saying….but have you actually had experience making arrangements when a family member dies unexpectedly with no prior arrangements? Let’s just say it’s much more than a 10 minute phone call. If you take care of things for yourself it’s so much easier on your family/people. Since I have way too many experiences for one person, I’m saying please for those that have to make decisions, let alone financial decisions, take care of these things while you’re still enjoying your life ☺️
See Post No. 29. Yes, I have arranged a cremation in less than 10 minutes. If you just call a funeral home, they will gladly accept payment for a cremation. Why would you pay for it in advance? It is not even a large expense. Obviously, these cremation companies are making a lot of money on prepaid cremations or they wouldn't be offering free meals to "educate" people about them.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:54 PM

Heard. Sorry I guess I missed your point.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Anyone here who has had recent experience with the Neptune Society willing to share their views? I have a guy coming over tomorrow to talk about the Neptune Society and what they offer. My experience with them is pretty limited.
They were marvelous
Old 01-25-2024, 05:17 PM

Before you sign check Baldwin Bros...we did this a few years ago and they were less.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:51 PM

My Neptune experience was excellent.

My parents purchased the deluxe package that included transport of their remains from anywhere in the world (they traveled). Of course most of us expire close to home, so it's like an insurance policy.

My father passed in the hospital and I called the number on the card he carried. I handed my phone to the charge nurse and that was it. That is what you are paying for; no hassles.

A word about the better business bureau: very large companies like Neptune have a huge number of clients. Take that into account when counting complaints.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:15 PM

Consider http://https://www.prairiecreekconse...ncemetery.org/
Old 01-28-2024, 06:17 PM

consider http://https://www.prairiecreekconservationcemetery.org/

Tags
neptune, society, experience, offer, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.