New car dealers for a new purchase

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2023, 09:55 AM

Stay away from Plaza, everything is way over priced, I won't even look at their ads in the Sun newspaper
Old 12-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Default An Old Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619 View Post
Last time we were shopping for a new car, we (unknowingly) went to Jenkins. They had a script to follow; took our keys, ensuring we could not leave. Three hours later, we finally left after we finally got our keys back. NEVER again.
After finishing law school and waiting 6 months for the results of the Bar exam, I worked for a small dealership. The sales manager was a 25 year veteran of the industry and had cut his teeth at Mission Chevrolet in Daly City (San Francisco). He would regale me with his stories of sales tactics. One of the best was to get the keys to the buyer's car for, ostensibly, taking a test drive to determine its value as a trade-in. He couldn't have cared less about the car's condition and would have a man drive it around to the back, park it, and leave it. He'd then have the driver throw the keys on the roof and blame him for taking off for lunch with them in his pocket when the customer tried to leave.

The door from the outside of the building to the several small sales rooms had a one-way lock. You could walk in, but could not walk out. The small sales rooms were equipped with a microphone. If there were two people, husband and wife or parent and child, he would leave to "take the offer" to his manager, go to another room and listen to the buyers talk about the car and what they could spend, either in total or by the month. He'd then return with a figure that was a small amount less than what he had heard, either in total or for the monthly payment. That slightly smaller amount almost always worked to close the sale. If necessary, he'd add 3, 6, or 12 months to the number of payments to get the monthly amount reduced.

For young men, he said that dropping a hint or two about gaining status among his friends and how he might "get lucky" with the girls were the two best sales pitches. Selling "undercoating" was one of the biggest money makers. He could get $150-250 for having tar sprayed on the underside of the car, for which he paid $25 to a small shop in the Fillmore district. Installing after-market radios, only AM in the early days, later AM/FM and later still 8 tracks, was a big money maker as were after-market floor mats.

Later versions of the "undercoating" scam were the "paint sealant" and then "ceramic" polish. Currently, it is "Nano" sealant or "graphite" sealant.

In my career, I represented many auto dealers at the behest of their insurer. Those are stories which will curl your hair.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:09 AM
Default Autonation in Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd3rd View Post
I am looking for opinions regarding Jenkins Auto Group. Considering buying a new Acura and looking for input regarding them or other dealers. If I do not buy a Acura, I am looking for advice regarding Honda dealers area including Claremont, Ocala, etc.Orlando.
In January, I went to Autonation in Sanford. Bought a new Acura RDX with no added on “Market Adjustment” dollars anywhere. They don’t believe in that.
Love my car!
Old 12-07-2023, 01:09 PM

Totally agree "Jenkins beware". Had an issue with paperwork and financial charges they made when I went to purchase my leased Hyundai Accent... NEVER AGAIN will I buy there.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
Totally agree "Jenkins beware". Had an issue with paperwork and financial charges they made when I went to purchase my leased Hyundai Accent... NEVER AGAIN will I buy there.
You have better choices. Start with Costco buying service. Now have a baseline price to shop.

Chevy Dude and others on YouTube will reveal insider tricks of the trade. The finance person is the profit center. NOTHING a salesman says is binding. The contract rules. Out the door price is all that matters. Say it over and over until they have a headache . Do it before closing and keep them all night. Floor manager will not let them go home.

Salesman are disposable to the dealership. Must produce or be gone

Chevy Dude - YouTube

Last edited by Babubhat; 12-07-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

I wouldn't buy another car from Jenkins on a bet. I was an idiot for putting up with the nonsense they put me through on the one I did buy. After paying $1000 over book for a 2020 Sorento, they tried to chisel another $500 out of me for a spare key, claiming that the previous owner (their own lease!) hadn't returned it, as if that was my problem. And then they tried to claim that a Kia dealer didn't have any replacement keys (actually, the key fob that passes for a key these days). I was forced to sit in their stupid waiting room, which I refused to leave, until they either provided the key (which I pointed out was in the contract), or returned my money and canceled the sale. While I was suffering this indignity, I made sure to tell every customer that came in about this stupid scheme, until they finally relented (6 hours later!), and the sales manager walked up to me and dropped the key in my hand, without a word of apology or explanation.

This happened at the Crystal River Jenkin's Kia. I assume the rest of them must be run the same way. I've seen a lot of crooked BS from car dealers in my 70 years, but that one takes the cake.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:11 PM

Get out of Florida to buy any new car, you can get it serviced anyplace, oh, and avoid Jenkins at all costs with all of their ficticious add on's.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:11 PM

If you are a cash buyer you hold all the cards. You can call around to competing dealers and get their best drive out price on the vehicle you want. This way of dealing is much easier since COVID. Last purchase in 2021, I contacted 5 dealers, 3 in Florida and 2 in Georgia and the best price I got by several thousand dollars was at Phillips in Leesburg. I was willing to go to Orlando and Atlanta. There were no surprises. The drive out price was the drive out price.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
After finishing law school and waiting 6 months for the results of the Bar exam, I worked for a small dealership. The sales manager was a 25 year veteran of the industry and had cut his teeth at Mission Chevrolet in Daly City (San Francisco). He would regale me with his stories of sales tactics. One of the best was to get the keys to the buyer's car for, ostensibly, taking a test drive to determine its value as a trade-in. He couldn't have cared less about the car's condition and would have a man drive it around to the back, park it, and leave it. He'd then have the driver throw the keys on the roof and blame him for taking off for lunch with them in his pocket when the customer tried to leave.

The door from the outside of the building to the several small sales rooms had a one-way lock. You could walk in, but could not walk out. The small sales rooms were equipped with a microphone. If there were two people, husband and wife or parent and child, he would leave to "take the offer" to his manager, go to another room and listen to the buyers talk about the car and what they could spend, either in total or by the month. He'd then return with a figure that was a small amount less than what he had heard, either in total or for the monthly payment. That slightly smaller amount almost always worked to close the sale. If necessary, he'd add 3, 6, or 12 months to the number of payments to get the monthly amount reduced.

For young men, he said that dropping a hint or two about gaining status among his friends and how he might "get lucky" with the girls were the two best sales pitches. Selling "undercoating" was one of the biggest money makers. He could get $150-250 for having tar sprayed on the underside of the car, for which he paid $25 to a small shop in the Fillmore district. Installing after-market radios, only AM in the early days, later AM/FM and later still 8 tracks, was a big money maker as were after-market floor mats.

Later versions of the "undercoating" scam were the "paint sealant" and then "ceramic" polish. Currently, it is "Nano" sealant or "graphite" sealant.

In my career, I represented many auto dealers at the behest of their insurer. Those are stories which will curl your hair.

Tales from the 60's & 70's, are always topical in The Villages.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

Exactly. Leave the villages area for car purchases and save $$$.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

Strange response I have our Nissan Rogue serviced in Leesburg Jenkins Nissan and have never been sales pitched for anything . Maybe other Jenkins brands are more aggressive.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post

LOL. None of those tactics would work on me. I use KBB.com and Edmunds.com to determine the fair value of a vehicle, and I won't pay for any dealer installed options or dealer fees. One of the first things that I tell the salesperson, is that I will not sit in his/her office, or in the manager's office. Bad idea, especially if you are a couple. I do all discussions on the lot, or in the dealer's lobby. Also, I don't think I will ever trade in a vehicle again at a dealership. You can get a better price somewhere else, like Carvana or Carmax.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:16 AM

Jenkins auto sold me a used jeep with a blown motor after reseting the fault code. they told me they would replace motor with new motor, 3 months later they tried to give me the vehicle back with a junk yard motor, 32k for a used vehicle with junk yard motor, buyer be wear, they sold my friend a van and screwed him over as well
Old 12-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd3rd View Post
I am looking for opinions regarding Jenkins Auto Group. Considering buying a new Acura and looking for input regarding them or other dealers. If I do not buy a Acura, I am looking for advice regarding Honda dealers area including Claremont, Ocala, etc.Orlando.
We bought an MDX from Jenkins in 2020. Had a good experience but have heard horror stories about them especially when cars were in demand. Overall they have treated us well. Worst part for us is that they are 30 miles away. On the bright side we have a Mercedes chassis RV and closest MB dealer is 60 miles away and we did have to get warranty work performed by them.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
Stay away from Plaza, everything is way over priced, I won't even look at their ads in the Sun newspaper
I hate the pictures of the three stooges. One more reason to not buy from them.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
dealers, acura, ocala, claremont, including

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.