New name for Covid 19 = "European virus"

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoguy View Post
Actually, it was the Chinese tourists in Milan that caused the outbreak in Northern Italy. The wealthy like to come to Italy and fill up suitcases with fashion, jewelry and leather and they seeded the outbreak. Cuomo is Italian, so is he saying it should be called the Spaghetti virus?
Chinese companies had bought up much of the high end fashion manufacturers in Northern Italy. Nonstop flights from Wuhan to Rome had been established. The Chinese virus was brought to Italy from Wuhan.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am from Europe, I like the fact that no one country is being named, especially when we are still investigating the origin. It could be called “bat virus” if it did come from them.
The intermediate horseshoe bats in which the virus came from range no closer than about 600 miles from Wuhan so they were probably in a Wuhan lab, not wild bats on the menu in Wuhan.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The intermediate horseshoe bats in which the virus came from range no closer than about 600 miles from Wuhan so they were probably in a Wuhan lab, not wild bats on the menu in Wuhan.
Rhino horn originates thousands of miles from China, but they have plenty of that floating around the country.
Most foods on our shelves are shipped thousands of miles from all over the word, so bats from 600 miles away, are practically home produce in Wuhan.
Just another way of looking at it.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am from Europe, I like the fact that no one country is being named, especially when we are still investigating the origin. It could be called “bat virus” if it did come from them.
Good point.

I find it discouraging, that so many people seem to have a need to put a label on everything, so that can determine who to align with or who/what to hate or denigrate.

Except snakes, of all kinds, as I don't care what name they have-I don't like them. lol
Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Technically speaking, the virus is "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)." The disease you get from virus is "coronavirus disease (COVID-19)."

Many people incorrectly call the virus "COVID-19," but it's no big deal, everyone knows what you're talking about. I have to use the correct terminology because I'm in the drug development field. We generally just call it the "the virus."

Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage

Wrong. It is, however, important to understand the origin and who is responsible, either through action or inaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Good point.

I find it discouraging, that so many people seem to have a need to put a label on everything, so that can determine who to align with or who/what to hate or denigrate.

Except snakes, of all kinds, as I don't care what name they have-I don't like them. lol
Old 05-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Default CCP Virus

Quote:
I am sticking with referring to it as the Chinese corona virus as it originated in China. In China last I heard they were referring to it as the Wuhan virus as it came from a lab in Wuhan.
Many people (especially on the political left) call people racist and xenophobic if they refer to COVID-19 as the Chinese virus. I've traveled in China and have great respect for the Chinese people and their culture...no hatred or animosity here.

So, I nominate CCP Virus (the Chinese Communist Party Virus) as a nickname for COVID-19, since it would have become a health care blip if not for the Chinese Communist Party.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 05-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
I prefer the scientific acronym, Covid-19. Anything else is just a nickname.
Actually, that is NOT the scientific name. That would be SARS-COVI-2. But standard accepted nomenclature would identify it by it's origin point, hence Wuhan Virus.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Agree with that 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
Many people (especially on the political left) call people racist and xenophobic if they refer to COVID-19 as the Chinese virus. I've traveled in China and have great respect for the Chinese people and their culture...no hatred or animosity here.

So, I nominate CCP Virus (the Chinese Communist Party Virus) as a nickname for COVID-19, since it would have become a health care blip if not for the Chinese Communist Party.
I still can’t get my head around whether China’s Communist government deliberately let this virus spread around the world - even with the massive lockdown that was apparently forced on the citizens of Wuhan, the infected numbers in China (even with their secrecy and lies) and the economic damage there, compared to the countries in the West (Europe and the US), are unbelievably small, given their huge population and population density. 👿👿
The ONLY winner, which ever way you look at it, in this terrible pandemic is China 👿👿 - WHY?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by junction29 View Post
I still can’t get my head around whether China’s Communist government deliberately let this virus spread around the world - even with the massive lockdown that was apparently forced on the citizens of Wuhan, the infected numbers in China (even with their secrecy and lies) and the economic damage there, compared to the countries in the West (Europe and the US), are unbelievably small, given their huge population and population density. 👿👿
The ONLY winner, which ever way you look at it, in this terrible pandemic is China 👿👿 - WHY?
As I understand it the ChiCom government isolated Wuhan from the rest of the country but continued to allow international flights out of Wuhan which of course spread the virus around the world.

In many, many ways the ChiComs are benefitting from all of this. Losing some people as a consequence means nothing to them.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:29 PM

I'm sure the Spaniards aren't happy with the 1918 pandemic commonly called the Spanish Flu. It unlikely originated there.
It kinda like getting a hurtful nickname as a child and it sticks.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:36 PM

There’s something happening here
What it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it’s time we stop, children, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

I think it’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what’s that sound
Stop, hey, what’s that sound
Stop, now, what’s that sound
Stop, children, what’s that sound
Old 05-15-2020, 06:14 AM
Default Chinese Nationals

Quote:
Chinese companies had bought up much of the high end fashion manufacturers in Northern Italy. Nonstop flights from Wuhan to Rome had been established. The Chinese virus was brought to Italy from Wuhan.
There are many Chinese nationals working in Italy in the fashion and apparel industries. This enables the manufactured articles to be labeled “Made in Italy” when they are crafted by Chinese nationals.

I am sure this arrangement contributed to the spread of Covid 19.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:24 AM
Default 1918 Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
I'm sure the Spaniards aren't happy with the 1918 pandemic commonly called the Spanish Flu. It unlikely originated there.
It kinda like getting a hurtful nickname as a child and it sticks.
Because Spain was not deeply involved in WWI, they reported actual fatality numbers whereas other nations, still recovering from the devastation of WWI were reluctant to report actual fatalities. The other nations did not want to appear to be weakened due to lack of available military aged males. The 1918 Pandemic was particularly effective in killing the young and healthy.

Once again, the 1918 Pandemic may have originated in China but was introduced into the U.S. through returning military members via Kansas.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:06 AM

I like then name "Kung Fu Flu"
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, make, yorkers, traveling, usa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.