New PGA Store

Old 04-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
New Golf Equipment is essentially what used to be called "Fair Traded". There are essentially no discounts on new golf equipment, produced by the major suppliers and the all have MAP pricing. PING is about the worst to deal with from that perspective, but they're all fairly difficult.

You want a current Taylormade, Callaway or Titleist Driver, you pay MSRP, no matter where you buy it. As long as it's "current", discounts are nearly impossible to find.
I'm old enough to remember when top of the line balls and clubs were sold only in golf course pro shops. Titleist balls, Staff irons etc were never found in retailers or department stores. The manufacturers made lower grade balls and clubs for these outlets. And they used to call it "Fair Trade", but we always referred to it as "Price Fixing".
Old 04-29-2024, 09:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Considering there are players on the PGA Tour, gaming 4-5 year old equipment, it's unlikely that anything is going to become "obsolete".

& the model cycle for most golf equipment manufacturers, is longer than 6 months.
I still use a Francis Ouimet driver with a mahogany shaft!
Old 04-29-2024, 09:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
I'm old enough to remember when top of the line balls and clubs were sold only in golf course pro shops. Titleist balls, Staff irons etc were never found in retailers or department stores. The manufacturers made lower grade balls and clubs for these outlets. And they used to call it "Fair Trade", but we always referred to it as "Price Fixing".
Yeah....I think fair trade is a term Starbucks uses these days for their coffee
Old 04-29-2024, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
The cheapest used putter I could find in the store was $250. So I stopped at Johnnies Birdie Golf on the way home and found a close enough reasonable facsimile mallet putter, brand new for $100, and still felt ashamed explaining this ridiculous extravagance to my wife.
I'm really surprised that anyone is trying to buy used clubs at a local store nowadays when there's a handful of very good 2nd hand golf websites where they basically have in inventory every single mass market club made in the past 5 years at a fraction of the price of new.

I've been to Johnnies. A couple years ago I didn't know any better and bought an 8 year old 3 wood for around 40% the price that it cost new.

Nowadays from these online golf resellers sites, you can get almost any 3 year old club for 30% of the new price including shipping, and often free returns.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Fantastic store, no need to go or buy elsewhere,
Old 04-30-2024, 05:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,854 Times in 3,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
FYI
“PGA TOUR Superstore is operated by Golf & Tennis Pro Shop, Inc., a subsidiary of AMB Group, LLC, which is headquartered in Metro Atlanta, Georgia. ”
Arthur M. Blank.

PGA TOUR Superstore owner Arthur Blank, also the co-founder of The Home Depot and owner of the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United FC, .
Old 04-30-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Nice store, but will it survive??

That much square footage can't survive on selling balls and gloves.

Enough consumers in the area to drive & to pay their prices??

It is really the perfect time to come in. Edwin Watts closed a mile a way due to the construction woes. We all know what kind of service you received there. The superstore has more than just golf. They have pickle ball and tennis as well. As far as services that they offer, I would highly recommend getting fitted by them. Most golfers buy what’s cool but not correct. Not always the arrow folks, it’s the Indian. Golf is a game of mistakes. They can help you eliminate those.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,568 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Even online specialty stores cannot compete with Amazon. Almost every time I see a television ad for a specialty website, I can buy the same products on Amazon with a better selection, faster delivery, and usually a lower price. Amazon has very little competition for almost all retail products.
True. Amazon is fantastic. I have never not been able to get what I need and most times at a cheaper cost.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:34 AM

Those saying Amazon is cheaper, don't know where you are comparing your process with. Amazon is not cheaper, BUT they are quicker delivery, with customer ability to return virtually any item. I use Amazon for much of my shopping but if not in a hurry, TEMU is the cheapest by far, again, BUT you have to carefully read you aren't buying a knockoff. Golf example is you can get Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips under $3.00/grip. Takes 10 days to get to you, but many items much cheaper if not needing them tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:46 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,854 Times in 3,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGApromike View Post
TEMU is the cheapest by far, again, BUT you have to carefully read you aren't buying a knockoff.
TEMU is owned by China............if you have no issue with that.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
You want a current Taylormade, Callaway or Titleist Driver, you pay MSRP, no matter where you buy it. As long as it's "current", discounts are nearly impossible to find.
Not necessarily. If you go to one of the fitting days, such as Taylor Made Tuesdays, you will get 10% off any club purchase, and the fitting fee is subtracted from the price. Plus, if you are former military or law enforcement, they will give you another 10% discount.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGApromike View Post
Those saying Amazon is cheaper, don't know where you are comparing your process with. Amazon is not cheaper, BUT they are quicker delivery, with customer ability to return virtually any item. I use Amazon for much of my shopping but if not in a hurry, TEMU is the cheapest by far, again, BUT you have to carefully read you aren't buying a knockoff. Golf example is you can get Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips under $3.00/grip. Takes 10 days to get to you, but many items much cheaper if not needing them tomorrow.
It’s a company that I will not buy from directly, but to each his own
Old 04-30-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Have shopped and ordered online from PGA store for years. We were at PinchaPenny so in the area, we both Needed couple of gloves.

Store is about the same as others but very big difference is the women’s anything. Only one brand of women’s glove in 8 patterns. Small assortment of women’s golf balls.

Whoever is their buyer didn’t spend anytime near TV.
95% of clothing size was Large to XX-Small and most brands had 3-4 XX-small, 2 large with the majority sizes S-M. Only 2 XL in the whole store and that was on the sale rack $160 marked down to $95.

The 2 female employees were young and both played golf, both tall and muscular. A large for them would just fit, and both agreed women’s section needed a makeover.

It’s a new store so used demo clubs were very scarce, but all hitting mats were full. Didn’t have time to look or compare grip cost or charge. I take care of my own grips, but normally don’t buy from PGA store.

Since what we needed wasn’t available, we left and ordered online. Didn’t see many with bags leaving the store. Very disappointed compared to other PGA stores
Well not all women in the Villages are plus sized. I always laugh at the men looking over the non plus sized women while they dine with the opposite. And their companions are oblivious.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,834 Times in 5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Yeah....I think fair trade is a term Starbucks uses these days for their coffee
Fair trade? I recently bought some Starbucks K-cups for $0.69 each from Amazon. The Publix price was $1.20 each.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
TEMU is owned by China............if you have no issue with that.
You mean ‘Jina!

Tags
store, survive, prices, pay, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.