Which new Smart Phone to Buy?

Old 11-13-2022, 12:46 PM

Another option is to try Swappa.com. No junk phones, every phone must meet certain criteria to be sold on the site. I’ve bought many phones, tablets and laptops there. Never had a bad transaction. Sold some stuff as well.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Got an Iphone SE2020 - doesn't do 5G but who cares - there aren't enough 5G towers all over to guarantee service! - 4G works fine!
All 5g phones are downward compatible. If a 5g tower is not available, it will automatically drop down to 4g for that call. No need to change any settings.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I am an Appleaholic. I have the latest and greatest of everything. iPhone 14 Pro Max & a 13 Pro Max.

Tomorrow my new Apple Ultra Watch is coming in from Amazon. Saved a couple of bucks and zero financing for 18 months instead of 24 months from Apple.

Bite the bullet, you only live once. No more Samsung after several appliance dilemmas! It's my little way of evening the score, They don't know it but I do. FaceTime with the grandchildren is fantastic.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
All 5g phones are downward compatible. If a 5g tower is not available, it will automatically drop down to 4g for that call. No need to change any settings.
Well that makes me wonder why my neighbors and friends around town are having such problems connecting to their Verizon 5G connections. This town doesn't even have FIOS - and have been told that it will not get it in the future!

Old 11-13-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Well that makes me wonder why my neighbors and friends around town are having such problems connecting to their Verizon 5G connections. This town doesn't even have FIOS - and have been told that it will not get it in the future!
Although 5g is much faster that the previous technologies, it doesn't travel as far. Thus it needs more towers per square mile to cover a given area. Block walls will also slow it down. It depends where you are located.

You will never see FIOS in the already built areas of the Villages. They added FIOS in my neighborhood up north. They had to tunnel a cable under everyone's front lawn and driveway. It was quite the project. Don't think it would ever get approved here plus the economics are not there, large cost to implement with a limited potential for new customers. The only place where it could possible happen is in a new section where the utilities have not yet gone in.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

A few months ago I updated from the iPhone 6+ to the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Loved the 6+, but it did not support the latest apps. Love the Pro Max, an amazing device. Still learning everything about iOS 16

Old 11-13-2022, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post

You will never see FIOS in the already built areas of the Villages. They added FIOS in my neighborhood up north. They had to tunnel a cable under everyone's front lawn and driveway. It was quite the project. Don't think it would ever get approved here plus the economics are not there, large cost to implement with a limited potential for new customers.

The only place where it could possible happen is in a new section where the utilities have not yet gone in.
They've been installing fiber to the post South of 44 to new Villaged homes for over 3 years now.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
5G works perfectly on the Xfinity Network but only when I'm at Publix. If you don't have 5G you are not missing NOTHING.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:37 AM
Veteran member

I have an 13 now, bought new. Bought it at the new Consumer Cellular store a Lake Sumter. Billing me payments....no large outlay of cash. No finance charges. Great customer service too. Heard of problems with the 14, so I went with the 13. Very happy. Any questions or problems just go back to the store for help. They have lots of choices of phones to pick from. Great reception, clarity everywhere. Great article on page A20 in today's Daily Sun on the new stores, both in Lake Sumter and Brownwood.

Last edited by bowlingal; 11-14-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I will be needing a new smart phone soon. I currently have an Apple iphone 7 Plus. It will no longer be eligible for updates. I love the phone, but I dread spending so much money on a new Apple iphone. I have heard that they are more secure.
Just curious to see what you may have and if you are happy with it.
You don't say WHY you need a new phone soon. Is it in physically bad condition? If that is the issue, you can solve this problem inexpensively. If you like your iPhone 7, you can keep your iPhone 7. Just pick up an excellent condition, unlocked, refurbished iPhone 7 on eBay for about $100-$120. I still carry two iPhone SE (the original ones) and they do everything I need. These models are new enough that they all can update to the latest IOS. So, they can run all the apps you might need.

If the issue is something other than physical condition driving your need for a new phone, please elaborate.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:53 AM

Best Buy sells refurbished Apple phones on line. Stay with Apple, you know it and everything transfers especially if you have an icloud account.

Old 11-14-2022, 05:54 AM

When Apple releases it's new Iphone I have waited a month or so and purchased the previous model refurbed, unlocked, from Amazon or Ebay. I saved a few hundred dollars.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:02 AM

We just purchased an iphone 12 from an iphone 6 for the wife, trying to minimize any of the doo dads!! anyways to go below the iphone 12 is a mistake. I since learned from the Apple salesperson that next year the 4G network will be non-existent, You have to go to a 5G phone and that begins with the iphone 12 otherwise you will need a new phone

Old 11-14-2022, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

I spoke with personnel at two different local phone stores. Both stated the Apple is more secure then a Samsung phone.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcojb View Post
We just purchased an iphone 12 from an iphone 6 for the wife, trying to minimize any of the doo dads!! anyways to go below the iphone 12 is a mistake. I since learned from the Apple salesperson that next year the 4G network will be non-existent, You have to go to a 5G phone and that begins with the iphone 12 otherwise you will need a new phone
Nonsense.
Same sales spiel as no new homes south of 466!!

Tags
phone, apple, iphone, smart, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.