Which new Smart Phone to Buy?

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,148 Times in 885 Posts

I'm in the same scenario as OP. For those wondering why the need to change, it no longer can update and most apps won't work on it anymore. My WhatsApp has conked out, many apps won't load and definitely can't stream anything on it. I appreciate all the comments which will help me decide what's next for me too.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I will be needing a new smart phone soon. I currently have an Apple iphone 7 Plus. It will no longer be eligible for updates. I love the phone, but I dread spending so much money on a new Apple iphone. I have heard that they are more secure.
Just curious to see what you may have and if you are happy with it.
I have an iPhone 13. Love it. Bought directly from Apple store.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:46 AM
Default Try Amazon for an older iPhone

try Amazon to buy an older phone. Amazon is the only Apple authorized seller of discounted iPhones
Old 11-14-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I think the iPhone 13 model is good bang for the buck right now. Love mine. I see no reason for me to upgrade to the 14.
I’ve had the 13 Pro since it’s release and agree it’s a good phone (and in my case a great camera which is mostly what I use it for, lol), and likely a better price than I paid now that there’s a newer model available.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you mean the 3G networks, which, depending on the carrier, have already been shut down or will be soon. 4G will be around for probably another 10 years. Buying an older phone that does not support 5G will not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcojb View Post
We just purchased an iphone 12 from an iphone 6 for the wife, trying to minimize any of the doo dads!! anyways to go below the iphone 12 is a mistake. I since learned from the Apple salesperson that next year the 4G network will be non-existent, You have to go to a 5G phone and that begins with the iphone 12 otherwise you will need a new phone
Old 11-14-2022, 07:06 AM

We just purchased two iPhone 12 I didn’t want to pay $1000 for 13 or 14. If you’re a veteran you get 10% discount. We stick with with apple because our families are in Ireland and we call free anytime for any length
Old 11-14-2022, 07:14 AM
Default https://www.backmarket.com/en-us

Your Refurbished (Super) Market | Back Market

As to android vs apple. I worked for verizon wireless for several years. IOS is easier to use and more stable overall. Android is much more flexible as an OS.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:21 AM

My son, an engineering major, switched from iPhone to droid at his dad’s encouragement. The changeover had lots of glitches - and he’s pretty tech savvy. I have an iPhone 7 for personal use and a droid for work. I will update the iPhone when I have to, as I much prefer it to the droid.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never owned an Apple product. I would buy the top of the line Samsung S22 Ultra with a stylus. I love the stylus instead of using your finger. I think that any claims that an IPhone is more secure than an Android is hogwash. Of course, the Apple cult followers will disagree.
There is a simple problem. Android phones are made by many manufacturers, all manufacturers do NOT update the software on the phones on a timely basis. Apple not only makes the phones but they also write the software and update the phones on a regular basis. I've seen many a senior Android users be very confused and have trouble navigating Android phones. iPhones are easier and more user-friendly.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:30 AM
Default Not only more secure, more privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never owned an Apple product. I would buy the top of the line Samsung S22 Ultra with a stylus. I love the stylus instead of using your finger. I think that any claims that an IPhone is more secure than an Android is hogwash. Of course, the Apple cult followers will disagree.
Actually Apple owned they own software and hardware yes it’s more secure and unlike Android that made by Goggle a company that sells your information like what you do with your phone when you use the internet on it etc, Apple doesn’t which is why Facebook (and others) is having such a hard time now (besides alll the meta mess). It’s been documented for years that apple have had much less security issues than android.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:55 AM

My family members have both. Our experience shows that IPhone is much easier to use for seniors that are not tech savvy. I also agree that refurbished are a good savings. You can try Apple.com or Amazon and many other sources for refurbished phones.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:58 AM

JRcorvette provided the best advice. If you know all the functions don’t change. All can be hacked. 😳
Old 11-14-2022, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Like I tell my friends, apple is the only “smart phone” made. Not only does apple provide the best technology, the best cameras, and the best eco system meaning your iPhone works with your Apple Watch, Mac, and iPads, something other vendors can’t do (keychain is replicated, messages/mail/browser info is dynamically updated).
We just signed up with T-Mobile and got $800 off of a new iPhone 14, which didn’t matter if you had an existing phone that was worth much less. If you switch carriers once in a while, you can get good trade in values
Old 11-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I will be needing a new smart phone soon. I currently have an Apple iphone 7 Plus. It will no longer be eligible for updates. I love the phone, but I dread spending so much money on a new Apple iphone. I have heard that they are more secure.
Get an iPhone 12 or 13. If you think you're going to live two years, often times, your carrier will supply the iPhone for "free."
Old 11-14-2022, 08:37 AM
Smile New Phone

Quote:
With any major purchase, we always get the mostest for the leastest!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, apple, iphone, smart, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.