Newest NY AirBnB regulations

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2023, 03:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,049 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
How would the developer rent for a week, and also be on premises at the same time?
Something tells me that restriction won't ever happen here.
Apples and Oranges. The Developer is a business with a business license in the business of selling products as an end result. They aren’t in the mode of renting, but with the purpose to sell. In addition, the houses they rent for the lifestyle experience, were never sold to a private entity. They “developed” empty land that has never been sold as improved yet. Therefore they haven’t been transitioned legally to residential.

Either way though, the Developer isn’t the entire population of the county. If the people of the county don’t like the STRs, regulations can be made to make the situation better.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 09-05-2023, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Just add wokeism……..and the state will take care of it.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just add wokeism……..and the state will take care of it.
wokeism definitely comes into play. It happens when Village’s homeowners are WOKEN up by noise from inconsiderate short term renters in the vicinity of their homes.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Using special software, the companies use short-term rental listings and other public records to identify short-term rental addresses and owners. These are then matched up with a city’s records to see which rentals are out of compliance or whether operators are dodging tax obligations.

Host Compliance, LTAS Technologies and STR Helper all do a great job looking 24/7 through databases for possible renters and even have fine/billing software. The great news is they can pull up an address flagged and calculate how many times a home was rented and for how long. It’s awesome!
That was my point. Features are already in place. No need for a special enforcement team. I doubt the software can catch people who rent less than 30 days on and off. Neighbors reporting would help.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
NYC has incorporated some great regulations to get a handle on VERBOs and AirBnBs. It’s a 5,000 dollar fine for getting caught without a license and none can be rented less than 30 days. When will we get something like that in The Villages? It would be a great way to get a handle on the STR problem.

Thousands of Airbnb listings in NYC face removal amid backlog: report
Every time the issue of Short Term Rentals comes up, all the Lawyer wannabees who have stayed at a Holiday Inn, come out of the woodwork.

Why not read some of the previous threads?

If you did, you would find the PURSUANT TO STATE LAW, city, towns & counties in Florida, can not regulate STR's.

Here you go:

In 2011, then-Gov. Rick Scott signed legislation that prohibited local governments from enacting any new law that restricted the use of vacation rentals, prohibited those rentals, or otherwise regulated them, giving that power to the state government.

That law “grandfathered” some 75 local ordinances already on the books, meaning they could remain in force. After pushback from cities, the Legislature reversed itself in 2014, allowing local governments to handle problems including noise, parking, and trash, but still preventing them from prohibiting or regulating the duration or frequency of short-vacation rentals.

FL Senate approves new short-term rentals law; “… the tool he’s giving the counties are a pair of handcuffs” | Florida | islandernews.com

Last edited by BrianL99; 09-06-2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I would be totally in favor of those regulations, especially no rentals shorter than 30 days. With county commissioners elections coming up, hopefully each candidate will be asked to take a position on their willingness to support such regulations. A candidate’s stance on restricting short term rentals would definitely influence who I would be willing to vote for.
Exactly!
Old 09-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Every time the issue of Short Term Rentals comes up, all the Lawyer wannabees who have stayed at a Holiday, come out of the woodwork.

If you did, you would find the PURSUANT TO STATE LAW, city, towns & counties in Florida, can not regulate STR's.

Here you go:

In 2011, then-Gov. Rick Scott signed legislation that prohibited local governments from enacting any new law that restricted the use of vacation rentals, prohibited those rentals, or otherwise regulated them, giving that power to the state government.

That law “grandfathered” some 75 local ordinances already on the books, meaning they could remain in force. After pushback from cities, the Legislature reversed itself in 2014, allowing local governments to handle problems including noise, parking, and trash, but still preventing them from prohibiting or regulating the duration or frequency of short-vacation rentals.

FL Senate approves new short-term rentals law; “… the tool he’s giving the counties are a pair of handcuffs” | Florida | islandernews.com
And they can be “ungrandfathered” that’s the beauty of democracy. It is an organic process.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,049 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And they can be “ungrandfathered” that’s the beauty of democracy. It is an organic process.
And they can always be regulated by local authorities.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 09-05-2023, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
And they can always be regulated by local authorities.
Local authorities are limited by state law. Read post #20 and the Florida statutes.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-05-2023, 11:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Every time the issue of Short Term Rentals comes up, all the Lawyer wannabees who have stayed at a Holiday, come out of the woodwork.

Here you go:

I am not a lawyer wannabee but I do know new laws can be written, old laws can be modified or thrown out, and laws standing can be fought in a court of law. Anyone can place a bill into action. If it gets unanimous votes in Congress, it becomes a law. Welcome to our democracy where laws change all the time.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I am not a lawyer wannabee but I do know new laws can be written, old laws can be modified or thrown out, and laws standing can be fought in a court of law. Anyone can place a bill into action. If it gets unanimous votes in Congress, it becomes a law. Welcome to our democracy where laws change all the time.
Do your research. Bills have been filed in the FL Legislature every year, to modify the STR laws & regulations. Most of them don't even make it to a vote.

The Florida Legislature is overwhelmingly Republican. Most STR's are investor owned and generate huge revenue for the State. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand why the law isn't going to change, anytime soon.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do your research. Bills have been filed in the FL Legislature every year, to modify the STR laws & regulations. Most of them don't even make it to a vote.

The Florida Legislature is overwhelmingly Republican. Most STR's are investor owned and generate huge revenue for the State. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand why the law isn't going to change, anytime soon.
I did not put a time stamp on it. But, I do see Miami and Orlando fighting to get Air BNBs eliminated. They cost cities money while a few line their wallets. Once those cities fight, Air BNB is history in Florida. We are a state that relies on a tourist economy. Pretty sure many wish and will fight so this does not change.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Funny how many people support capitalism until feathers are ruffled in their neighborhood.
Right. I’m trying to figure out what the problem is in the first place. How is renting an Air BnB different from a lifestyle visit? Let’s face it, only old people are interested in coming here to visit.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnhead View Post
Right. I’m trying to figure out what the problem is in the first place. How is renting an Air BnB different from a lifestyle visit? Let’s face it, only old people are interested in coming here to visit.
If only. Read the other threads on this subject and posts from those that live next door to one. 15 year olds running amok, drunken parties until 4 AM, cars parked blocking neighbors driveways, litter thrown all over the place. An Airbnb in TV is a lot cheaper than staying at a Disney hotel, so bring your kids and teens, trash the neighborhood, who cares?

A lifestyle visit is for eligible buyers usually 55+, not spring break.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

I owned a co-op in New York and the HOA had a rule that I could not rent it out for less than 3 months at a time.
We did end up with two tenants that rented the apartment on a yearly basis.
That was over 15 years ago.
I'm sure there is a way that The Villages can set some type of standard without jumping through to many legal hoops.
Maybe laying out a rule for any new home buyer and having to grandfather any existing owner who uses the property as a rental.
Closed Thread

Tags
handle, great, regulations, days, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.