Next Door web Site

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Next Door web Site

We recently received an EMAIL soliciting us to join a website called NextDoor. Seemed like a local site and mentions neighbors who have joined. My wife joined and then we started receiving EMAILS asking for access to our address list and special neighbors to invite. Find the site to be a national or international site that seems to "innocently " ask for address list. To me , I find that to be overbearing. Found a way to deactivate the account before accepting the requests.

Anybody else find this website overbearing?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have been on there for 3 years, and have never seen anything like that. Are you sure you were no the real nextDoor site and not a copy cat site. I have never been asked for any additional info, this sounds very suspicious. Also, I was never solicited by NextDoor to join, they do have any option where an existing neighbor can suggest another neighbor to join, but I am not sure how this works.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I use nextdoor.com frequently to ask my immediate neighbors for recommendations for all types of services etc. I think it is a great site, have never been bothered by anyone to join anything or give out lists etc. I agree with the Villagetinker above, I think you are in a copy cat site and not the national site NextDoor.com.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Gold member

I have never been solicited for anything from Nextdoor. I think it's a great site.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Sage

It's also a great site for selling household items.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I unsubscribed after about two weeks of non-stop e mails
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
I unsubscribed after about two weeks of non-stop e mails
All my incoming emails from social media sites go into my junk box and I check them when I want to. Not a problem. Organize your computer to put unnecessary items in the junk pile. You can also open a file on your desk top and put everything in there until you are ready to read it. I get maybe two emails every two to three days, but I am also only communicating with my immediate village and a couple of others close by, certainly not to the whole of NextDoor, if you limit your exposure to only your local villages you should cut down on a lot of emails.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 06-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Our neighborhood uses NextDoor regularly for driveway parties, trips, group notifications of health issues for individuals and stuff for sale in the neighborhood. While the ad thing is becoming a pain we find it still the best place to communicate with all our neighbors.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
All my incoming emails from social media sites go into my junk box and I check them when I want to. Not a problem. Organize your computer to put unnecessary items in the junk pile. You can also open a file on your desk top and put everything in there until you are ready to read it. I get maybe two emails every two to three days, but I am also only communicating with my immediate village and a couple of others close by, certainly not to the whole of NextDoor, if you limit your exposure to only your local villages you should cut down on a lot of emails.
You can stop all emails by just changing your preferences in the your account settings.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

This site sounds like I could use it. How does one join?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
This site sounds like I could use it. How does one join?
Go to nextdoor.com and sign up. These questions are too easy. Maybe I need to sign up for Jeopardy.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I've been on next-door for a few years. I've never been asked to provide contact lists, etc. Next-door is helpful. I once was looking to locate a couple in our neighborhood whose certain breed rescue dog had died. I work with a rescue of that breed and knew of one needing an owner. I put it out on next-door with the only info I had--someone just lost a rescue golden who died and are looking for another rescue golden, and I have one but don't know where the couple lives. In less than a couple of hours, a person who knew the couple contacted them. Now the golden has a new home, and the couple has a rescue golden to love. They actually brought the dog to our house to meet us.

Yes, there are ads on the site, but they are easy to ignore.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 PM

No I have not. I got a post card in the mail, i joined it and have been fairly pleased with it. Its basically people helping people with questions, solutions to their problems or questions. It seems a lot of people from Country Club Hills, Orange Blossom, Hacienda, and several from our neighbors from Stonecrest. I also dont believe there is any censorship on that site as far as I know of.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

I filled out their form on the website, it asked for my zip I gave the one for Mallory. Have not heard back for registration since I asked the question here.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I filled out their form on the website, it asked for my zip I gave the one for Mallory. Have not heard back for registration since I asked the question here.
You need to install the Nextdoor app, and click on the very bottom, right hand side of the home page, and then click on help. It will tell you how to verify your address. I think you need to provide a real address that they can verify through other information. Another way to join is to get a neighbor to invite you to join.
Closed Thread

Tags
site, find, list, website, joined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.