NOT a partisan issue

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2023, 12:26 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts
Default NOT a partisan issue

Leaving any "party" politics out of the discussion, thought the topic of age and physical and mental acuity might draw some interesting (and HOPEFULLY THOUGHTFUL, not demeaning) discussion. Since we live in an age restricted community, I thought it might be especially interesting to see the thoughts of a homogeneous group !

Should our elected representatives of both/all political parties, attempt to agree on base line "ability to perform duties and responsibilities of an office" and apply them to potential office seekers ?
Old 02-19-2023, 03:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Ability to perform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Leaving any "party" politics out of the discussion, thought the topic of age and physical and mental acuity might draw some interesting (and HOPEFULLY THOUGHTFUL, not demeaning) discussion. Since we live in an age restricted community, I thought it might be especially interesting to see the thoughts of a homogeneous group !

Should our elected representatives of both/all political parties, attempt to agree on base line "ability to perform duties and responsibilities of an office" and apply them to potential office seekers ?
No. The voters decide on a candidate's ability. Other than age and criminal records, all citizens are eligible to seek an elected office. Even nuts and pathological liars. So be it with our form of democracy.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
No. The voters decide on a candidate's ability. Other than age and criminal records, all citizens are eligible to seek an elected office. Even nuts and pathological liars. So be it with our form of democracy.
Agreed.

Besides, who gets to make the final determination that a candidate isn't qualified? What happens when two professionals disagree on a candidate's qualifications? What traits disqualifies a candidate? Etc., etc., etc.

Quite frankly, applying basic intellectual acuity levels to voters (ie: ability to change mind after being presented with facts proving their "opinion/feeling" is dead wrong)...would serve our country much better.

Alas, neither will, nor should - ever happen.

The premise of the thread, is simply a not very clever attempt...at a backdoor 'P' fight.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:

Yes, but only to the extent that a party endorses or puts forward a candidate. Nothing wrong with the xxx party using that criteria before announcing, "this is our choice for the office."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-19-2023, 05:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Agreed.

Besides, who gets to make the final determination that a candidate isn't qualified? What happens when two professionals disagree on a candidate's qualifications? What traits disqualifies a candidate? Etc., etc., etc.

Quite frankly, applying basic intellectual acuity levels to voters (ie: ability to change mind after being presented with facts proving their "opinion/feeling" is dead wrong)...would serve our country much better.

Alas, neither will, nor should - ever happen.

The premise of the thread, is simply a not very clever attempt...at a backdoor 'P' fight.
What ? Thought I stated the premise of the thread clearly ! I'll try one more time. As a career researcher, thought requirements and fitness for office (NO MATTER what party an individual belongs to) would (hopefully) prompt some stimulating discussion. Even reflect some analytical thinking. Maybe not. Any requirements or prerequisites are perhaps just too qualitative ? Such things as must have reached age 25 (or 35, or whatever), and must not have passed age 80 (or 85, or whatever) at the time of filing ? When I was first in grad school in psychology individuals with a range of 40-54 on the Wechsler were considered moderately retarded. Not really qualitative as it was measurable, but, should there be a foundation level of mental ability so the individual representing the wishes of others, has the ability to understand the issues before them ? Anyway, in no way was this any kind of "back door" attempt at anything, other than to stimulate an interesting discussion. What a leap !
Old 02-20-2023, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What ? Thought I stated the premise of the thread clearly ! I'll try one more time. As a career researcher, thought requirements and fitness for office (NO MATTER what party an individual belongs to) would (hopefully) prompt some stimulating discussion. Even reflect some analytical thinking. Maybe not. Any requirements or prerequisites are perhaps just too qualitative ? Such things as must have reached age 25 (or 35, or whatever), and must not have passed age 80 (or 85, or whatever) at the time of filing ? When I was first in grad school in psychology individuals with a range of 40-54 on the Wechsler were considered moderately retarded. Not really qualitative as it was measurable, but, should there be a foundation level of mental ability so the individual representing the wishes of others, has the ability to understand the issues before them ? Anyway, in no way was this any kind of "back door" attempt at anything, other than to stimulate an interesting discussion. What a leap !
A very basic lesson of history/ human psychology is power corrupts, who, whatever group, organization that can to whatever extent control who YOU vote for by sitting a "standard" "evaluating" the candidates will end up up with their thumb on the scale by influencing your choice, experts picking the politicians I can vote for ? no thank you
Old 02-20-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a good Idea, but are we better off letting the voters decide?

Would be nice not for things to turn P, but I have watched to many discussions go that way. Including a meal recipe on another forum.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,442 Times in 2,540 Posts

Party appointed candidates should raise a red flag from the start.
Nepotism at its best.
Apposed.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:17 AM

Very sad that some folks are turning this about the ugly side of politics. It's sad that people our age can't remember back to a time when people of different beliefs could calmly discuss a topic, try to understand where the other is coming from and if you disagree do it respectfully.

To the OPs question in my opinion term limits (Congress/Senate/judges) would be a better idea
Old 02-20-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,351 Posts

Can anyone tell the truth anymore?
Old 02-20-2023, 09:26 AM

It would be nice to know that the candidates are actually who they are, went to school where they said, worked at previously, etc., so that an INFORMED decision can be made. We have to weed out the charlatans, then stop propaganda cable promoting these people. That's how we will end up with an authoritarian/cult leader.
Closed Thread

Tags
age, thought, interesting, discussion, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.