Nursing home deaths are 50% or more of the total in many states.

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Nursing home deaths are 50% or more of the total in many states.

We can see from the data that about 80% of all covid 19 deaths are people over 65. The following are calculations of your probability of dying IF infected by covid 19 by age group.

80 + 21.9%
70-79 8%
60-69 3.6%
50-59 1.3%
40-49 0.4%
30-39 0.2%
20-29 0.2%
10-19 0.2%
<10 0.1%

So the older you are, the more likely to die from this disease, especially if you have other problems like obesity, diabetes, lung or cardiac problems.

However, what is starting to come out in the data is that a huge percentage of covid 19 deaths is coming from nursing homes. Over 50% in many states. Some states are very slow in reporting these deaths for various reasons, including political ones.

Here is a table calculating percentages of nursing home deaths out of total covid 19 deaths. Look at column G for the percentages attributed to nursing homes out of the totals. Many states are over 50%, some as high as 75-80%

Nursing Home COVID Deaths By State - Google Sheets

So nursing homes, because of their age cohort and close living conditions, skew the numbers tremendously. So yes you are in danger the older and sicker you might be, but if you live in a single family home your chances are much better than if you are living in a nursing home.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:56 AM

And densely populated neighborhoods with high concentrations of orthodoxy in New Rochelle NY, Brooklyn, NY, Lakewood/Toms River NJ
Old 05-10-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoguy View Post
And densely populated neighborhoods with high concentrations of orthodoxy in New Rochelle NY, Brooklyn, NY, Lakewood/Toms River NJ
Why do you think that? I understand the highly concentrated, but what does their faith have to do with it?

Perhaps you think it may be a certain blood type because of a common ethnicity? I have wondered about that too? Especially that black and brown people who have O+ blood in common are dying in greater numbers according to the very sketchy information I have read............But a lot of Jewish people with the same ethnic background are not conservative.

Is this some new and nasty crap circulating? or is this something to do with science? Or some new conspiracy smeary type thingy...……….. Oh I hope this isn't gonna be a racist mean hearted thing.

Sometimes I don't get things I read. Poor Davem. I nearly jumped down his throat. But I really don't know what you mean Ficoguy about Orthodox neighborhoods. Oh I hope I'm wrong. I have never been in an Orthodox neighborhood. Why would they be dying more?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Many Orthodox Jews, Muslims and Christians put their fate in the hands of their God, carried on in their worship together in large numbers, ignoring all best known at time scientific advice.

Turned out, prayers were not as effective as self isolating.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

so sad that so many of our elderly have passed in nursing homes without their loved one's being by their side or able to visit them

We were blessed to be able to visit our folks multiple times a week when they were living out the rest of their lives in nursing homes, as did all of our kids...

amazing how many folks are put in nursing homes and forgotten....the year after my mother passed I asked permission and visited the home that she had been in on Christmas Eve dressed in my Santa outfit....I went to every room...the joy on their faces was just
precious...one lady (who had befriended my mom and I'd speak Italian with) said 'I know who you are!'...another patted the bed and said, Santa you can spend the night here (as my wife was laughing hysterically outside in the hall). I think we received more joy that Christmas Eve than we gave to the folks in that nursing home

But back to the OP...these statistics are just one more reason that my wife and I are staying with our "Thelma & Louise" final exit plan....we have absolutely no interest in spending time in a nursing home...and besides, we've never been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon

...and I don't intend upon paying Hertz extra money for 'dropping the car off in a different location'
Old 05-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
But these statistics are just one more reason that my wife and I are staying with our "Thelma & Louise" exit plan....absolutely no interest in spending time in a nursing home...and we've never been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon

...and I don't intend upon paying Hertz extra money for 'dropping the car off in a different location'
I like this Thelma and Louise plan. The stats for nursing homes were pretty bad before covid 19 anyway. 53% die within 6 months, 65% within a year. Grand Canyon is a long drive from here so I think I'll just hire someone to come by daily, cook and clean, and buy some really expensive booze.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

No one I have ever known moved to a nursing home for rocking good times, to live it up and party hearty. They go because they must due to loss of independence from advanced age related conditions or serious health issues. At that point in life they are especially vulnerable to whatever bad bug comes along. Many small apartments and rooms all packed together, common hallways, dining rooms, elevators and gathering areas as well as staff that live off site coming and going all contribute to risk of communicable infections spreading quickly among residents.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
No one I have ever known moved to a nursing home for rocking good times, to live it up and party hearty. They go because they must due to loss of independence from advanced age related conditions or serious health issues. At that point in life they are especially vulnerable to whatever bad bug comes along. Many small apartments and rooms all packed together, common hallways, dining rooms, elevators and gathering areas as well as staff that live off site coming and going all contribute to risk of communicable infections spreading quickly among residents.
No one said they did. The point is that it looks like 50% of covid 19 deaths are coming from nursing homes, probably the biggest bungle of this whole mess. Some states like New York forced nursing homes to accept covid 19 positive seniors. These numbers also scare the heck out of anyone over 65 when their actual chance of catching and dying from the virus is much lower if they live in single family home.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:53 PM

And heaven help you if you wind up in a NY nursing home, which were required to take recovering COVID patients. Now what bright light came up with the idea to stick COVID patients among high risk individuals in densely populated nursing homes!
Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Wondering how the virus got in to the nursing homes to begin with.
Perhaps introduced by a younger person not showing symptoms?
Old 05-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Good information. CDC figures indicate you have a 94% chance of surviving a Covid infection. Taking out the elder population I’m sure that percentage is noticeably higher?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langwelld View Post
Good information. CDC figures indicate you have a 94% chance of surviving a Covid infection. Taking out the elder population I’m sure that percentage is noticeably higher?
Take out the nursing home population (50% or more of deaths) and your odds get even better.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:06 AM

Dave, great plan.....must consider. B T W loved the movie...
Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 AM

So how did the virus enter the Nursing homes in the first place? Family? Careless Caregivers?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:09 AM

NYC mayor counted 3700 deaths as covid related because they died at home. This is without any type of autopsy being done and no factual cause of death. IF states were getting money for all those that did not die from covid 19 I bet the numbers would be much lower. Dr. Blix even admitted if a person dies in an auto accident and had a heart condition (but that was not the cause) they would count it as a covid related death.
Closed Thread

Tags
0.2%, deaths, covid, nursing, 21.9%

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.