ny/nj info re hurricane irene

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Skyguy, just keep repeating to yourself "In 7 weeks we will be frogs." Hope your packing boxes aren't too badly damaged.
Thanks for the good thoughts! We never did get pumped out last night as the FD wanted the power out in the house and our power company never showed up to make the disconnect. * However, the good news is that the water in the basement has begun to recede and a friend will be coming by around noon with a pump to remove the rest.

Also on the good news side is that my wife and that friend had just finished going through most things in the basement last week and the boxes affected are all things that were set aside for an estate sale that will take place after we leave for FL. The boxes going south were moved up out of the basement and into the garage last week too! Maybe mother nature is telling us we should clean the basement floor?

Hopefully we'll be able to say afterward that it was, relatively speaking, as inconvenient as tee'ing off and having your golf ball sail into the pond; just a temporary setback that you'll soon forget about!

* I mentioned in my first post that the power company had arrived. Actually they just assessed the situation and didn't disconnect at that time. They were supposed to return a second time and didn't!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 08-30-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: To further explain conflicting information between two posts.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

skyguy - so glad to hear about the boxes! good news indeed! still hi and dri here at the jersey shore. we are sooooo lucky! one mile east of us an entire section of town [and i mean blocks!] is and has been without power since sat when the mini tornado took the roof off an apt bldg and dropped it into the street - taking power and phone lines with it!!! our only problem is not having a data tele line for the 'puter and having to wait until late at nite to go online...cannot complain about that one tiny bit! but a tele tech is scheduled to resolve that in "about a week"!

stay strong, skyguy! you have so much to look forward to - and events such as yours make for great conversation and memories of the move!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
We Vermonters have been following the aftermath of "Irene" on your neck of the woods as well as our own, via Channel 10 out of Albany, New York.
Take it one day at a time. Best of luck. Mother Nature is a fickle lady.

We have family members in New Jersey near Princeton who have the worst flooding in ten years.......Vermont and New Jersey are the worst hit states.
We have relatives in North Carolina who lost the main road to their summer house on the outer banks. Stories of devastation up and down the coast.

Vermont has been devastated. Total towns isolated when bridges and roads were washed away by the powerful flood waters from streams and rivers.

Not even the Governor imagined it would wreak this much havoc on an INLAND STATE. Hurricanes are supposed to hit Florida, right? Seriously, roads that we take to go north to our daughter's are GONE. Roads to cross the mountains GONE. Rt. 9 is washed away from Bennington to Brattleboro in Wilmington, a town that remains isolated. Rt. 4 up at Killington, also destroyed. Rt. 7 from Bennington to the north , parts missing. All over the state..........I believe it's 260 state roads GONE.....bridges gone. Rt. 2, etc.
So many roads impassable as they are GONE. Even in Florida this would never happen..........unless it was the Keys.

Vermont's covered bridges flooded or floating away. Cars, cows, propane tanks, furnaces, houses, you name it, floating down rivers. People seeing towns over the border in N.Y. State swept from their foundations.
No one expected this in Vermont or N.Y. State.

Again, chin up......good luck with the clean up.
SC, thanks for the encouragement. As I mentioned previously, we are in pretty good shape compared to many many others up here. A neighbor just 3 houses away had 5 feet of water in their cellar compared to only about a foot in ours. When they pumped it out it was probably the source of some of the water in our basement. The basement is probably dry by now and our friend will be by in about an hour to relight our hot water heater. Where this adds insult to injury is in the fact that about a month ago we had our cellar floor flooded by a blockage in our drainage system. That actually caused more damage that this flood did and it took several days before we even realized it happened: can you say... mold?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
We've been commiserating with all of you in N.Y. State, esp. Prattsville in the Catskills , plus the Amsterdam area and all the farmlands in beautiful upstate New York. Take care. Hope the next hurricane does not come up here.
Interesting that you mentioned Catskills and Amsterday. We are located at the mouth of the Mohawk River and the flood waters were the results of run off from the Catskills and the Adarondacks. Both have tributaries that feed into the Mohawk including Schoharie Creek! About 24 years ago the run off from the Schoharie Creek caused a bridge to collapse killing several people. One of the victoms was the next door neighbor of one of my employees back then. You can read more about it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schohar...ridge_collapse
Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Sage

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Was that on the N.Y. Thruway? I do remember that. Was it a white cadillac that went into the water? We were just chatting about it the other day.
That was a heck of a weekend in Vermont as well.

We've been watching the ABC News with Meteorologist Steve Caporizzo showing pics and talking about the Schoharie Creek and how wide it became during the recent rains. Frightening. Plus so many farmers lost their barns, animals, etc. Widespread destruction in both states......yours and ours.
Yes, it was the Thruway. I've driven over the new bridge many times since and every time I approach the bridge I can't help thinking about those who dropped to their deaths that day!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Sage

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.