NY state sues PepsiCo because customers litter

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2023, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There are two problems that come to mind. First, it is not the container material that is being singled out, it is Pepsi. It *may* be that Pepsi contributes the most to the plastic pollution in the Buffalo river but they are not the only contributor. If the problem is the plastic then why not target the number two contributor or all contributors? But Pepsi is the only company mentioned.

Second, there are many poisonous materials being used in many products. Lead-acid batteries contain lead with the same characteristics you mentioned above. Some thermometers and thermostats contain mercury. Smoke detectors have batteries with hazardous materials and small amounts of radioactive materials. Cooling systems contain chemicals dangerous to people and to the environment. All these, and the Pepsi bottles, are safe when used and discarded appropriately. Those who inappropriately handle or discard the other materials can be held accountable. Why is it that only improperly discarding Pepsi plastic containers is a liability to the company?
There are lots of regulations on lead acid batteries which the manufacturers are careful to follow as to their disposal. Similarly there are regulations on radioactive waste. There are no such rules on plastics, yet.

The issue is whether your statement that Pepsi bottles "are safe when discarded appropriately" is correct. The product is designed to be tossed away. It really doesn't matter whether it goes into the street or into a garbage can. There is no effective recycling anymore.

Corporations have long been held to be responsible for the pollution they create. The legal question to be decided by a court is whether plastics are a pollutant and whether the sellers of those pollutants bear any responsibility for the pollution.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
There are lots of regulations on lead acid batteries which the manufacturers are careful to follow as to their disposal. Similarly there are regulations on radioactive waste. There are no such rules on plastics, yet.

I have never seen an Interstate compliance officer or FirstAlert representative take any interest in how I disposed of my batteries or smoke alarms.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
NY accuses Pepsico of creating a public nuisance by making a huge number of plastic bottles and wrappers, some of which inevitably fall or blow into the Buffalo River when they are discarded.

I am not a lawyer but I think it is hard to blame a company for what consumers do with their products after purchasing them.

And what about Coke? Don’t they make plastic bottles?

New York sues PepsiCo in effort to hold it responsible for litter that winds up in rivers

What about bottled water?
Old 11-17-2023, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Seems like a ridiculous lawsuit. What good could possibly come from it? Will Pepsi stop selling plastic bottles in NYS and forces a switch to Coke? Won't that just shift the statistics and result in another lawsuit?

It's also hard to imagine that McDonald's would be second to Pepsi. Would they be counting plastic containers for fish fillet or would they be finding plastic cups that were used for Coke products? It's hard to imagine that Coke bottles or water bottles didn't make up a higher percentage than McDonald's.

It's early to start campaigning for the 2026 NYS elections so I wonder why this lawsuit now.

Maybe all suppliers that use plastic should stop selling in New York? See how that fairs with public? Maybe then they will wake up.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Maybe all suppliers that use plastic should stop selling in New York? See how that fairs with public? Maybe then they will wake up.
Better yet, Pepsi's corporate headquarters is in New York. Maybe they should relocate to a normal state.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
But a manufacturer should not (necessarily) be held accountable for what a customer does with the product after purchase. If they were, every gun maker and ammo manufacturer would be liable for murder.
There are those who are pushing to make that a reality...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-17-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
NY accuses Pepsico of creating a public nuisance by making a huge number of plastic bottles and wrappers, some of which inevitably fall or blow into the Buffalo River when they are discarded.

I am not a lawyer but I think it is hard to blame a company for what consumers do with their products after purchasing them.

New York sues PepsiCo in effort to hold it responsible for litter that winds up in rivers
Hey it’s NY anything can happen in that State or in CA…. You could not pay me to live there!!!
Old 11-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:

How about cigarette companies since people throw their cigarette butts wherever they feel like
Old 11-17-2023, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
Hey it’s NY anything can happen in that State or in CA…. You could not pay me to live there!!!

They would just tax that pay!
Old 11-17-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Coke made political contributions of $1,361,000 in 2022 - $697,000 to the Democrats, $664,000 to the Republicans - this is huge?

Coca Cola is based in Atlanta, GA - why is Coke NY?

Do you have support for your comments?
I guess Pepsi didn't pay (off) enough. It is NY and a corrupt AG.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Seems like a ridiculous lawsuit. What good could possibly come from it? Will Pepsi stop selling plastic bottles in NYS and forces a switch to Coke? Won't that just shift the statistics and result in another lawsuit?

It's also hard to imagine that McDonald's would be second to Pepsi. Would they be counting plastic containers for fish fillet or would they be finding plastic cups that were used for Coke products? It's hard to imagine that Coke bottles or water bottles didn't make up a higher percentage than McDonald's.

It's early to start campaigning for the 2026 NYS elections so I wonder why this lawsuit now.
The answer to your question why - New York Attorney General Letitia James today filed a historic and groundbreaking lawsuit against PepsiCo Inc. (PepsiCo) for harming the public and the environment with its single-use plastic packaging.

And this is only on the Buffalo River and against Pepsi. Just think how many other creeks she can site, or companies, or products.
Closed Thread

Tags
bottles, plastic, pepsico, purchasing, blame

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.