Obama to seek congressional approval on Syria

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Find Your Representative · House.gov

U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Good luck with this if people do decide to contact your Senator or Representative in the US Congress.

I am still not sure where I stand on Syria but am very glad that they are doing a lot of research and talking about this before starting another war.

Some sites you may want to look at before writing these people:
Syria's war - Al Jazeera English
Syria | Reuters.com
Syria | World news | The Guardian
BBC News - Syria crisis: Russia and US no closer
Iran: U.S. will 'definitely suffer' if it leads strike on Syria - CNN.com
At last someone who reads both sides of the story
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Additional if not primary proof of political motivation?
Why Obama is so focused on upholding the international standard of using gas weapons to kill over 1000 men, women and children......but remains silent and tolerent on the 100,000 men, women and children killed with conventional weapons.
???????????????????????????????
American people overwhelmingly vote NO.
International community votes NO.
UN votes NO.

All the above happen after viewing both sides of the story.

Minority reports graciously noted.

btk
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
janmcn,

Please post the telephone numbers of our representatives so we can call them or email them and tell them our feelings on an upcoming war.

You are always so helpful with information like this.

The number for the main switchboard at the US Capital is (202) 224-3121. They will connect you with any of the 535 member's offices.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Additional if not primary proof of political motivation?
Why Obama is so focused on upholding the international standard of using gas weapons to kill over 1000 men, women and children......but remains silent and tolerent on the 100,000 men, women and children killed with conventional weapons.
???????????????????????????????
American people overwhelmingly vote NO.
International community votes NO.
UN votes NO.

All the above happen after viewing both sides of the story.

Minority reports graciously noted.

btk

....he has ignored these deaths to a degree for a few years

....he has ignored previous chemical attacks in Syria

....he promised help with rebels about 2/3 months ago and nothing has happened yet.

BUT those acts are typical of our current administration, and I do not think are part of any political motivation.

Having said that, I am suspicious of the sudden turn around in going to congress, which admittedly shocked everyone including the Secy of State and other advisors. That turn around and his talking as if that never happened does make me very cautious.

Say what you want, our president is an awesome politician. Problem is we need a US statesman right now and not a politician. Politically, he has put himself in a position of win-win. No matter how the vote, he blames congress...shrewd move.

I just wish he would become a statesman, and with all the arm twisting going on, lets just say I get edgy.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy Questions

How many or who that are in favor of war have witnessed a 19 year old screaming for his mother after being hit and is dying, how many have seen
the 19 year old returning from battle with a limb blown off and facing a lifetime of pain, who have seen the dead body of a 19 year old being placed in a casket to be returned to the US, who have visited and witnessed all of the wounded in Walter Reed hospital in DC, who have thought of the many wounded and killed and are being prepared to go back into battle to protect what may be a crazy bunch of rebels who are dedicated to killing Americans, or to throw a feather at the Syria leaders and then return home after many being wounded or killed. There is total proof that at least 75,000 boots will have to be on the ground to destroy any "gas locations". Dose anyone really believe that (a) it will only be that many and (2) no American will be killed. Maybe we are as crazy as the Syrians or rebels. There use to be a statement that 1 death is tragic and more than 1 are statistics. How sad it is when we lose the value of life. Some in our government have not served in the services and therefore have a "statistics" view of war as opposed to the real meaning. Lets all pray for our leaders to do the right thing by our citizens.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Sage

Not sure it is bashing as much as discussion. We are all so concerned about this situation it is a relief and comforting to me to be able to discuss on an open forum this situation with other Villagers. Please don't complain and get this shut down for the rest of us who are more interested in information than bashing.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I HONESTLY can see how you could feel that way...I really do. IF you looked at this as just another political exercise.

Difference, to me anyway, is we are talking about the country's foreign policy, and not an election. We are talking about a foreign policy and its author.

I did not start out bashing anyone on this thread and basically said I would back the President. But as everyone should be doing instead of listening to the political hacks I did some investigation, and would be glad to share links showing how the author of our policy is making stuff up about red lines, etc.

If our foreign policy is structured to ignore the killing of an american ambassador, try to camaflouge it when it happened, ignore the killing of men women and children for a number of years, ignore previous chemical weapons until now, and then stand up and be self righteous, I, as an american am embarassed.

And if you want this closed, then so much for any discussion of issues important to this country.....taking military action in the mideast is a bit more important than some of the things allowed for discussion.

What is more distressing is the taking of POLITICAL stances when discussing this. This is not about Dem versus Rep....not about the WH versus congress...not about Liberal versus conservative.....as a few keep trying to make it.

Last edited by Moderator; 09-07-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post that has since been deleted
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Gold member

Obama Win-Win-Win --great move just keep saying he want to attack - really does not -- but force congress to make a decision -- no monday morning quarterbacks --- Post there vote and let everyone know how they voted -- i really dont think there will be a yes or no vote --- they will find a way out of a yes or no vote -- a very large percentage of them have no answer how they will vote --- what are they waiting for ????? keep up the good work "Obama" - really hope congress is forced to vote yes or no
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum member

We didn't start the fire.........

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.