Obama to seek congressional approval on Syria

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Obama is between a rock and a hard place on this one. If he does not act and Syria gasses again his head is on the chopping block. If he does act and Syria retaliates by gassing again his head in the block. It's a tuff place for this president who has endured so much at home to be placed in. He is in a tuff spot on this one. You could not pay me enough to have his job.

What I do find funny, however, is the country who took all the crap during the last administration, France, is with us this time. I guess the congress can rename the American fries back to their real name, French Fries. Oh how I long for the days when the congress could actually agree on something like changing the name of starchy potato sticks.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Sage

Syrian defector: Assad using chemical weapons - Israel News, Ynetnews
This article is from Feb. 2012 regarding Syrian defector who says chemical warfare was done under supervision by Russia and Iran.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Lets try to understand the problem. Obama drew a line in the sand and said chemical weapons would result in harsh consequences. Probably a mistake, but he said it and that is now behind us. Ashad used chemical weapons to kill his own people, including women and children. Do we want to accept that? I agree this is a no win conflict, but should we act or not? Obama now wants a get out of jail card. He saw what happened in the UK Parliament. So the British PM is off the hook. Maybe he wants the same out.

Now the problem. Syria is watching to see if we act. If we don't, they will continue until they murder thousands. Iran is watching and seeing if our "red line in the sand" is real so they can do what they want with regard to nuclear weapons. Israel is watching to see if we act so they know what to do about Iran. If we do anything it is a losers game. If we do nothing, how do you think Israel will act to take out Iran's nuclear capability? Think they will react the same way if we don't act against Syria? I believe they will think our "we got your back" policy is worthless and decide they need to eliminate the Iran threat now. Don't think North Korea is not watching either. Syria is not the real problem. It's all the other countries who are taking our measure and making decisions that have a much more significant impact on the future.

It's amateur hour in Washington and Obama has painted himself into a corner where what ever he does is wrong. He is hoping by putting Congress in the middle there will be someone else to blame for the failed outcome. And any decision is actually a failure. So this is a true lose lose.

We should never have gotten to where we are, but unfortunately we are there. There is no good answer.
Well stated.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I don't need to see the videos. I read the newspaper. I know what is going on over there.

Does this mean that you also want to back into Iraq to fix the problem with all of the women and children they are killing there?

We have the Syrian government on one side and the rebels supported by Al Qaeda on the other side. We should not support either side.

These people live to kill each other. A few bombs by us are not going to change that. It might give Iran and North Korea a reason to "help" Syria retaliate.

Z
When I see any sign that these middle eastern countries are prepared to reject Al Qaeda themselves without help from the rest of the world, then I would agree with us helping. Until that time I say NO to getting involved in any more of these tribal wars.

Show me that you want to move out of the dark ages and into the 21st century and live like civilized human beings, allow the woman that want to - to not live in purdah, allow their female children to be educated (if they so wish) and treat their women with dignity instead of beasts of burden, then I would agree to us helping them in any way we can.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only way to have peace in the middle east is for these people to live under a dictator. Every country where we have taken out the dictator has fallen into chaos.

I have never felt this way before, but the loss of life and limb from the Iraq debacle has changed my opinion on many things.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-01-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: change of language
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran member
Default amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
When I see any sign that these middle eastern countries are prepared to reject Al Qaeda themselves without help from the rest of the world, then I would agree with us helping. Until that time I say NO to getting involved in any more of these tribal wars.

Show me that you want to move out of the dark ages and into the 21st century and live like civilized human beings, allow the woman that want to - to not live in purdah, allow their female children to be educated (if they so wish) and treat their women with dignity instead of beasts of burden, then I would agree to us helping them in any way we can.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only way to have peace in the middle east is for these people to live under a dictator. Every country where we have taken out the dictator has fallen into chaos.

I have never felt this way before, but the loss of life and limb from the Iraq debacle has changed my opinion on many things.

And to add to this, can anyone think of any country that we have "liberated" that has remained a democracy or that has even embraced our views on freedom. It seems to me that these dictators appreciate us much more than the "freely elected" leaders that are subsequently installed do. From Cuba on, it is time for us to learn the hard lesson, we are not the "great deciders" and we need to start taking care of our own. Stop pandering to the Corporate Political War Machines in this country. They never met a war they didn't love. And as Ike put it," Beware of the Military Industrial Complex".
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Gold member

I am guessing that Syria is not celebrating the Jewish holiday and will have time to move or hide what ever - congress will not convene due to Jewish holidays - waiting for results of votes - who voted for what and who did not vote or voted against ---- does not matter --- Monday morning quarter backs - will be on the talk shows
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Syrian defector: Assad using chemical weapons - Israel News, Ynetnews
This article is from Feb. 2012 regarding Syrian defector who says chemical warfare was done under supervision by Russia and Iran.
This situation has been ongoing for years. Well over 100,000 people killed and gas was used before, yet we have ignored for all those years. We DID know about it.

I will be curious how those anti war, anti military folks will vote, but FIRST what exactly will they be voting on ?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Lets try to understand the problem. Obama drew a line in the sand and said chemical weapons would result in harsh consequences. Probably a mistake, but he said it and that is now behind us. Ashad used chemical weapons to kill his own people, including women and children. Do we want to accept that? I agree this is a no win conflict, but should we act or not? Obama now wants a get out of jail card. He saw what happened in the UK Parliament. So the British PM is off the hook. Maybe he wants the same out.

Now the problem. Syria is watching to see if we act. If we don't, they will continue until they murder thousands. Iran is watching and seeing if our "red line in the sand" is real so they can do what they want with regard to nuclear weapons. Israel is watching to see if we act so they know what to do about Iran. If we do anything it is a losers game. If we do nothing, how do you think Israel will act to take out Iran's nuclear capability? Think they will react the same way if we don't act against Syria? I believe they will think our "we got your back" policy is worthless and decide they need to eliminate the Iran threat now. Don't think North Korea is not watching either. Syria is not the real problem. It's all the other countries who are taking our measure and making decisions that have a much more significant impact on the future.

It's amateur hour in Washington and Obama has painted himself into a corner where what ever he does is wrong. He is hoping by putting Congress in the middle there will be someone else to blame for the failed outcome. And any decision is actually a failure. So this is a true lose lose.

We should never have gotten to where we are, but unfortunately we are there. There is no good answer.

You hit the nail on the head . He made a statement about the red line and knew it was not true . He was trying to talk tough on foreign policy. He does have the power for the strike but didnt take it because he wanted the Congress and the American people to be part of it !!! are you kidding!!
The President does not want to strike (and I agree with that --we do not belong there )

He didnt wait for anyone when he decided to not enforce laws concerning illegals he does not listen to Congress or the American people when we ask for answers about Bengazi, IRS or fast and furious.

He sees this decision as putting himself in a winning situtation --If no strike is voted by Congress he can say he wanted to but they got in the way again --if they vote to strike and it goes wrong --Congress agreed --If it works out well --"I did it"

This President will go down in history with famos phrases of other before him : We have nothing to fear but fear itself ,Ask not what you country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country .

His will be : You can keep your Doctor and you rates will go down.

In case anyone is monitoring our internet posts ,,This is my humble opinion --I still think that is legal....
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Obama is between a rock and a hard place on this one. If he does not act and Syria gasses again his head is on the chopping block. If he does act and Syria retaliates by gassing again his head in the block. It's a tuff place for this president who has endured so much at home to be placed in. He is in a tuff spot on this one. You could not pay me enough to have his job.

What I do find funny, however, is the country who took all the crap during the last administration, France, is with us this time. I guess the congress can rename the American fries back to their real name, French Fries. Oh how I long for the days when the congress could actually agree on something like changing the name of starchy potato sticks.
If he is in between a rock and a hard place it's because he made the statement a year ago about crossing the RED LINE and then NOT following through on it. You cannot pretend your going to do something and then do NOTHING. Mixed signals to our allies and enemies is a huge mistake. As is taking 9-10 days to get Congress together while you leave for a tee time. I don't find funny the fact that none of our allies will stand by us. They are just as confused as everyone else. We are in desperate need of a leader in foreign affairs. This whole situation is critical and NOT calling Congress for an emergency meeting is another mistake that may be very costly.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy1581 View Post
If he is in between a rock and a hard place it's because he made the statement a year ago about crossing the RED LINE and then NOT following through on it. You cannot pretend your going to do something and then do NOTHING. Mixed signals to our allies and enemies is a huge mistake. As is taking 9-10 days to get Congress together while you leave for a tee time. I don't find funny the fact that none of our allies will stand by us. They are just as confused as everyone else. We are in desperate need of a leader in foreign affairs. This whole situation is critical and NOT calling Congress for an emergency meeting is another mistake that may be very costly.

Both houses of congress have the ability to call themselves into an emergency session. Some rumblings that the senate may do just that, but nothing from Speaker Boehner.

There is only one way to change leaders in foreign affairs, but that train has left the station.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Both houses of congress have the ability to call themselves into an emergency session. Some rumblings that the senate may do just that, but nothing from Speaker Boehner.

There is only one way to change leaders in foreign affairs, but that train has left the station.
Serious question...

Why hurry ?

President will be in Russia this coming week, and he is the most important person in the debate ? Doesn't he have to explain what he intends to do, and hopefully it is not just phoned in.

This is not new...this is a few years old. Not sure why anyone would hurry except to make some obscure political points.

Actually the g20 is Thursday and Friday and then add travel..so why call everyone back
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy1581 View Post
I'm not so sure we should be waiting 9 days to have this debate. Congress should be ordered immediately to discuss this situation. It should have taken place immediately many days ago. This will give 9 days to Syria to hide weapons, etc... Anything can happen in 9 days and by delaying something so urgent, how does the world perceive our leadership now?

I think the President has boxed himself in a corner on this one.
The President, the centerpiece of all of this, is in Russia this coming week.

Not surprised the senate will come back and vote without him...they passed many things without reading them.

I would be critical of the House IF the President was available..he needs to make his case and explain what he intends to do
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

If I recall correctly, our current president was against (even voted against) going into Iraq even with a much larger coalition of other countries. I believe he is a muslim and does not want to be involved with any attacks on any muslim country. In this case, America has no skin in the game, our good name has already been smeared over the last couple of years - jumping in to improve that image is useless. According to the news, an American poll puts 50% want us to "do something". 44% do not want us to intervene. I don't put much stock in polls - so much depends on the way a question is asked over the phone. I am firmly against any military intervention.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 AM

We're being lied to...again...just like all the other times. When will people learn?

There's money to be made in war. Debt limits get thrown out the window during war.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

I'm just tired of seeing the U.S. as the "world's policemen."
We put our troops at risk for countries that hate us to begin
with and never appreciate our efforts.

We need to stay out of other countries problems!
We never seem to have an understanding of the problems
To begin with.

I am empathetic with populations/countries that do not
have our democracy and freedom.

That being said DEMOCRACY does NOT WORK with people
who do not believe in the sanctity of life.

We need to stay out of Syria!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.