Objective information about trophy hunting.

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts
Default Objective information about trophy hunting.

Can trophy hunting actually help conservation? - Conservation

My cousin was a game warden in Washington State and did other animal related jobs on Cape Cod. I remember him talking about conservation issues and the need to thin out animal populations once in a while. He was never a trophy hunter though and cannot think of anyone is my quite large family that does this. I doubt if he even did any hunting as a game warden just enforced the law of the State of Washington. Sometimes a dangerous job and he was often near Native American tribes that still hunted for needed game.

I am interested though in links about trophy hunting and its pros and cons.

Anyone have scientific information about this?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Tal, the article you link hit the mark when it said that this issue is complex and highly politicized. The Endangered Species Act has been around for quite a while now and frankly it has failed because the people regulate the law get in their own way. There is no rhyme or reason to their methods. On one hand we refuse people their projects because it threatens an endangered species that well isn't really endangered. On the other hand they push for renewables like wind but wind turbines kill thousands of birds of prey ever year and the solar projects out west incinerates birds by the millions????

California water problem is a major problem and primarily because of environmentalist gone mad.

Then we get to the ordinary guy on the street that gets hysterical and groups all hunting as evil.

All of this tells me one thing. People have too much time on their hands
and look what supermarkets have done to the basic issues of hunting and gathering and forging of food. Perhaps we all need to live in the wild for a period and get back to the reality of life.

In my view the response to your question is I believe that a genuine endangered species ought to be protected; albeit extinction is a part of the evolution process. On the other hand many herds need help in being thinned out such as deer

Personal Best Regards:
Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Sage

You might find these links interesting:
NPR Media Player
Home | IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare
Hunting Legends Africa - Hunting in Africa - Hunting Buffalo Rhino Elephant Lion Leopard and Plains Game
Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Humans seem to be the problem?
deer wouldn't be over populated if we didn't kill off all their predators and they are left with the worst one humans. IMO it boils down to money, greed, and Animal instinct? Money feed the greed, greed turns the other eye, and animal instinct beats chest of the trophy seekers.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

Definitely no scientific info regarding this, just an experience that I'll never forget. I went to a relatives home for a pre wedding reception party. Upon entering their home in Ludington, Michigan; I immedietly noticed all of the heads, horns, etc on the walls from deer, elk, buffalo, etc....disturbing. Upon sitting down on the couch, I noticed on the coffee table and end tables....squirrels, bunnies, possums, chipmunks, beavers, etc, etc.....all stuffed! My daughter in law got so upset, she left the house to compose herself. The owner of the home would go all over the world to hunt...small game, big game, etc.

How can anyone get satisfaction out of killing a living thing??? I can understand that deer need to be thinned out or they will suffer......but, please feed yourself or the needy if you hunt them.

I realize that this dentist is being used as an example....but thank God....maybe something will be done to stop this ridiculous sport.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Sage

For the life of me I can't understand why someone would want a dead animal's head hanging on their wall - or a dead fish either. That's just creepy.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Gold member

I understand regretably the "thinning of the herd" mentality. What I don't understand is killing defenseless (not classified to be "thinned")animals for what hunters call "sport". Sport requires some form of athletic ability. In my opinion using a sofisticated weapon to kill an animal in a defenseless situation can never be called "sport".
Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Hanging in our living room wall is a Commodore 128 I had to chase and take down with my bare hands. A short fight but I dispatched the critter.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Hanging in our living room wall is a Commodore 128 I had to chase and take down with my bare hands. A short fight but I dispatched the critter.
Try chasing down two 64's. They work as a team.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Try chasing down two 64's. They work as a team.
You need the Chris Pratt played character from Jurassic World. Zookeepers Are Hilariously Recreating Chris Pratt's Raptor Training Scene From 'Jurassic World'

I do that with various pooches at Doggie Doo Run Run. It works some of the time.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Hunt them with a camera and we will all enjoy them more!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Tal, the article you link hit the mark when it said that this issue is complex and highly politicized. The Endangered Species Act has been around for quite a while now and frankly it has failed because the people regulate the law get in their own way. There is no rhyme or reason to their methods. On one hand we refuse people their projects because it threatens an endangered species that well isn't really endangered. On the other hand they push for renewables like wind but wind turbines kill thousands of birds of prey ever year and the solar projects out west incinerates birds by the millions????

California water problem is a major problem and primarily because of environmentalist gone mad.

Then we get to the ordinary guy on the street that gets hysterical and groups all hunting as evil.

All of this tells me one thing. People have too much time on their hands
and look what supermarkets have done to the basic issues of hunting and gathering and forging of food. Perhaps we all need to live in the wild for a period and get back to the reality of life.

In my view the response to your question is I believe that a genuine endangered species ought to be protected; albeit extinction is a part of the evolution process. On the other hand many herds need help in being thinned out such as deer

Personal Best Regards:
Rubicon, I appreciate your point about environmentalists gone mad. The attached link to a news story of a tragedy that occurred while we were living in the Pacific Northwest, in which 4 young firefighters were sacrificed to save an "endangered" scavenger fish. It clearly demonstrates the insanity of environmental cultism. Lest anyone not believe that they value animal life over human life, please read this story. It happened, and we were there, in a futile struggle to save those young people over a f-ing fish. It's sick.

Save the Fish not the Firefighters - Capitol Commentary
Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Rubicon, I appreciate your point about environmentalists gone mad. The attached link to a news story of a tragedy that occurred while we were living in the Pacific Northwest, in which 4 young firefighters were sacrificed to save an "endangered" scavenger fish. It clearly demonstrates the insanity of environmental cultism. Lest anyone not believe that they value animal life over human life, please read this story. It happened, and we were there, in a futile struggle to save those young people over a f-ing fish. It's sick.

Save the Fish not the Firefighters - Capitol Commentary
That really put things in perspective. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
game, trophy, hunting, animal, washington, warden, state, information, enforced, law, dangerous, doubt, job, needed, links, interested, pros, cons, scientific, native, american, tribes, hunted, hunter, remember

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.