Oh No!! DIRECTV joins the AT&T "Family"

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Oh No!! DIRECTV joins the AT&T "Family"

I got this email today:
"Great things are happening for you and for us. We’re happy to announce that DIRECTV is now part of the AT&T family. Together, we’ll deliver premier video entertainment, high-quality mobile and Internet services, and an even better customer experience.

This is an exciting time, and we understand you may have some questions about what this news means for you. First, let us reassure you that your services remain unchanged and there is nothing you need to do. If you want to learn more, you can click here to visit our AT&T Newsroom."

It may work out well for some. I have had nothing but terrible experiences with AT&T customer service. When I dealt with them, their IVR (phone menus) were designed to prevent you from ever reaching a live person. I vowed never to do business with them again.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Gold member

The last time AT&T tried to diversify, their stock went from $65 to $5 and had a reverse split. That was supposed to be my retirement savings.

Same stupid management decision now.

Oh, let me know if I sound bitter.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 AM

buzzy...you sound bitter....
Old 07-25-2015, 10:59 AM

I sent them a return email and told them if they start sending me junk mail from AT&T I will hate them even worse! Had a 3 year nightmare with them back home with my business phone. Absolutely HATE that company! I love Direct TV but if they make a lot of changes I may start looking for alternative options. With the electronics of today and the choices we have there is no excuse for poor customer service.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Platinum member

The choices get fewer wnd fewer for competition. Wonder which company will buy the other dish service? Let's see how long before people start leaving because of programming or price changes.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
The choices get fewer wnd fewer for competition. Wonder which company will buy the other dish service? Let's see how long before people start leaving because of programming or price changes.
Heheh. I was thinking...hope there is a possibility of my TV service and my phone service coming up with some sort of benefit for me being a customer of both. How silly of me.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 PM

You can believe that what ever changes are made, it will cost us more money for less service.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Sage

WOW. And I thought customer service couldn't be worse, with cable companies.

Comcast takes the cake and I am happy with DISH, as Directv has some people warming a chair. Very good product but they leave a lot to be desired, with their customer service. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
The last time AT&T tried to diversify, their stock went from $65 to $5 and had a reverse split. That was supposed to be my retirement savings.

Same stupid management decision now.

Oh, let me know if I sound bitter.
Mind shedding some information on just when this was that all this occurred?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Mind shedding some information on just when this was that all this occurred?

It was leading up to the burst of the tech bubble. The stock price actually peaked around $57 a couple of times during 1999. By March 2003 it bottomed out at $5 and had a reverse 5 to one split. Today's charts do not show the reverse split.

I believe that "patient zero" was Lucent, which dropped 40% in a few months. It eventually went all the way from $82 to 2 bucks.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
It was leading up to the burst of the tech bubble. The stock price actually peaked around $57 a couple of times during 1999. By March 2003 it bottomed out at $5 and had a reverse 5 to one split. Today's charts do not show the reverse split.

I believe that "patient zero" was Lucent, which dropped 40% in a few months. It eventually went all the way from $82 to 2 bucks.
Lucent is not ATT.

Lucent is and was a totally different stock from ATT. When Lucent was divested from ATT everyone thought it was going to be the best place to be but it soon came crashing down. A lot of employees that chose to go with Lucent lost almost their entire retirement as it was all invested in Lucent stock because it was doing so great. Lucent merged or was bought by Alcatel around 2006.

Keep in mind the ORIGINAL AT&T owned Bell Labs, Western Electric, and all the Bell Operating Companies. After divestiture South Western Bell later came around and bought the old AT&T and then changed their name to AT&T since the name was so valuable. The new AT&T bought Cingular Wireless, others, and then BellSouth in 2007 which was the old South Central Bell and Southern Bell before divestiture which had joined back together to create BellSouth.

History of AT&T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTki2nGkHs

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 07-25-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Sage

And every month that I receive my pension check from Bell Atlantic I thank God I stayed with the Bell companies and not AT&T
Old 07-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
And every month that I receive my pension check from Bell Atlantic I thank God I stayed with the Bell companies and not AT&T

Same here but I took the lump sum when I retired, South Central Bell (owned by the old AT&T), BellSouth and then finally a year and a half with the new AT&T. A lot of people that chose to go with Lucent really got hurt since they kept so much in one stock rather the diversifying, but then Lucent stock was zooming for a while. In I&M we really did not have a choice but to stay with the divested company South Central Bell except for the CPE and PBX techs and managers.

Actually AT&T is now owned by what was once SouthWestern Bell. They changed their name to AT&T before they went on a buying spree..Cingular, BellSouth, etc.

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 07-26-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I got this email today:

I have had nothing but terrible experiences with AT&T customer service. When I dealt with them, their IVR (phone menus) were designed to prevent you from ever reaching a live person. I vowed never to do business with them again.

Most any interactive voice response will allow you to say operator, or attendant, at most any point rather than continuing through the maze of menus.

Most would not believe the amount of satisfaction and service measurements on especially the regulated part of these companies.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,924 Times in 785 Posts

Does everyone know about the web site gethuman.com, which shows you how to reach a human when calling many businesses? here's what it says about speaking to a human at AT&T:

First call 800-331-0500; Enter phone # or press 1, then 3, then 7, then 0, then 4, then 2, then 1 OR Press 0# each time it asks for your phone number

In general, help is available at this phone number for: customer problems, support, customer care, issues, questions, billing, sales, customer service

Tags
at&t, services, customer, family, directv, work, click, visit, newsroom, learn, live, reaching, person, vowed, business, prevent, dealt, service, experiences, ivr, phone, designed, menus, terrible, part

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.